Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Dont go. Tell your fiance that he shouldnt go either. Simple.

Honestly, I predict your marriage will fail due to communication issues. If you are unable to talk to him about this, how many other things will you find great difficulty in communication with him on once you guys get married.
She should certainly feel comfortable telling him she is not interested in going, but she has no business telling him not to go.

Partners who try to dictate what each other can and can't do aren't going to find themselves in the healthiest relationship.

He has the right to want to be with his family, even if his ex will be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
You don't just marry a person. You marry their whole family.
You gotta know what you're getting into.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Honesty is the best policy, tell your fiance that you are not comfortable being in the company of his ex-wife and her family and you prefer to stay home and you hope he enjoys the party and to drive safely.
The right answer. Don't be insecure and childish, it will come back to haunt you if you do anything but the above suggestion.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:12 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,545 times
I unhid the invite tonight and it is in the stack of mail.

I second that on JanND's response. That is probably what I will do.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I unhid the invite tonight and it is in the stack of mail.

I second that on JanND's response. That is probably what I will do.
You can't avoid this family forever. The longer you wait to participate in their life, the worse it will be for you.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
She should certainly feel comfortable telling him she is not interested in going, but she has no business telling him not to go.

Partners who try to dictate what each other can and can't do aren't going to find themselves in the healthiest relationship.

He has the right to want to be with his family, even if his ex will be there.
You hit it on the nail with the bolded portion. This reminds me of a situation I had when my husbands son got married for the first time.

He came over to deliver the invitation and included in the invite was a note from the son requesting that I not attend because it would make the Ex uncomfortable. To be honest, I was ok with this, I really wasn't excited to go anyway. My husband on the other hand said he would not go because I was not invited. I told him he had to go, he was the Dad. We actually argued about this because he as adamant about not going and I was adamant about him going. In the end he went and I'm glad he did and so is he.

Just because you are now with this person does not make him "yours". He has a right to decide on his own if he wants to go or not.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When you RSVP, you say "I'm sorry, I can't make it." You don't need to give anyone a complicated explanation.
Exactly. That's all that needs to be said. I would probably send a gift. Maybe a savings bond the EX can't cash in. That takes care of you. If your BF really wants to go there may be another issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships