Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 AM

752 posts, read 2,086,862 times

Advertisements

My fiance's ex-wife lives in Columbus and she has taken custody of said fiance's niece's baby last year and now shes planning a first birthday party for her.

How do I get out of going to this event knowing that it is going to be on a Saturday (the 18th specifically) ? I can';t plead a doctor's or dentists appointment on a Saturday. I'm not interested in the ex wife nor am I interested in spending four or five hours with her clan. Besides the party is going to be in Columbus and that's a two hour drive each way. It just seems like a waste of time.

I can plead sick if I have a good plan to become so, also since I do work on Saturdays from time to time, I probably will come up with a work related engagement if nothing else.

Can I discourage my fiance from attending too? He claims this is his niece and he will probably say he has a right to see her/and the other members of the bunch.

Right now I have hidden the invite in a drawer, but some strategies that look plausible to avoid this event would be greatly appreciated.

This is my fiance and were supposed to be getting married in April. Why does he need to go to a oarty where the EX will be present even if she has custody of his nieces child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
When you RSVP, you say "I'm sorry, I can't make it." You don't need to give anyone a complicated explanation.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Honesty is the best policy, tell your fiance that you are not comfortable being in the company of his ex-wife and her family and you prefer to stay home and you hope he enjoys the party and to drive safely.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When you RSVP, you say "I'm sorry, I can't make it." You don't need to give anyone a complicated explanation.
Exactly. But here's another thing. Why do YOU have to go also? I don't think your fiance` should not see his niece and so what if it's his ex? She was thoughful enough to invite him. Let the choice be HIS if he wants to go or not but you certainly don't have to go.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
My fiance's ex-wife lives in Columbus and she has taken custody of said fiance's niece's baby last year and now shes planning a first birthday party for her.

How do I get out of going to this event knowing that it is going to be on a Saturday (the 18th specifically) ? I can';t plead a doctor's or dentists appointment on a Saturday. I'm not interested in the ex wife nor am I interested in spending four or five hours with her clan. Besides the party is going to be in Columbus and that's a two hour drive each way. It just seems like a waste of time.

I can plead sick if I have a good plan to become so, also since I do work on Saturdays from time to time, I probably will come up with a work related engagement if nothing else.

Can I discourage my fiance from attending too? He claims this is his niece and he will probably say he has a right to see her/and the other members of the bunch.

Right now I have hidden the invite in a drawer, but some strategies that look plausible to avoid this event would be greatly appreciated.

This is my fiance and were supposed to be getting married in April. Why does he need to go to a oarty where the EX will be present even if she has custody of his nieces child?
Why can't you just be honest? It's what adults in mature relationships do

Simply say, honey, if you really want to go that's fine, but I'd rather watch paint dry and just have no desire to be there. So while you make the trip I think I'll catch up on my laundry.

And don't even make the mistake of trying to keep him from going if it's what he really wants to do.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 02-01-2012 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post

Be an adult and suck it up already.

First, are you kidding me about discouraging him to go? Are you clueless? Never get between a SO and his/her family. He will resent you for it and they will undermine you. What's more, he's trying to do an important thing and integrate you into the family. You need to respect that and invest a day of your life doing it. It will pay big dividends later. By sending you an invitation, the woman extended an olive branch and you need to understand what the gesture means.

Second, the fact that you actually hid the invitation in a drawer says a great deal about your character. If I had known that my fiancee had pulled that kind of underhanded, deceitful nonsense with me, I would have cancelled the engagement right then and there. What's more, based on your working through plausible excuses, it sounds as if you lie without compunction. If I were him and discovered all this, you would have provided me a glimpse of the manipulative crap you'd pull with me for the rest of our lives together.

I think you really need to read your OP in an objective way and realize how creepy and self-absorbed it sounds.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Pretty much what everyone else says. It seems like when you have a problem you think of a 'scheme' to solve it. That way leads to just more problems. Lies multiply like rabbits.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:45 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times
I don't really see why you're obligated to go. This is your fiance's ex for goodness sakes Why must you see her at all?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
"I'm sorry, it's simply not a good time for me, but hope you and your little one have a wonderful day" and maybe send a card for the baby. Or maybe some storybooks and a card.

She may also be thinking what you're thinking to and felt she had to invite you out of some sort of obligation, but really could care less.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
It has all been said. Tell your fiance that if he would like to go, then that is fine, but you are not comfortable going to a party which your ex is attending.

He should not have to avoid seeing his niece because of her, but should also respect your wishes to not hang out with his ex wife too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships