Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:38 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Yeah but I also have 20-23 years old that I have to pull out my drivers license to prove to them, that I am too old to date them.

My company's president is my age, one day he looked at me and said " wait until you get to my age, everything starts going wrong" he was shocked when I said I was his age. I look younger, but I think I act way younger which adds to the confusion.
So? No matter how a given age "looks," you said 50 IS ancient. Period.

So you too are pretty much ancient. 40? To a 22-year-old? You are washed up.

Is it nice to hear that? Or accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 01:09 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

It's fairly accurate. I am running out of time to make things happen in my life, as my life is most likely at least half way over at this point. The best part is over or in process now. After kids grow up, things go downhill.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
It's fairly accurate. I am running out of time to make things happen in my life, as my life is most likely at least half way over at this point. The best part is over or in process now. After kids grow up, things go downhill.
Ah, okay, gotcha. So in that case, since you're already running out of time and are basically washed up, 50 should be no problem for you...and surely isn't comparatively ancient.

Now OTOH, if you're saying you're a 40-year-old, washed-up, downhill-bound, out of time chick looking for a "non-old" guy, have at it, and stick with that, but don't assume you'll find what you're looking for. Not saying "don't be a hypocrite and don't go for it," just saying, be aware.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:52 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:

Look at what you wrote. This image of yourself is what you're offering a man. Would you sign up for that?

To be clear, I'm not saying that I believe that you or women your age have no value. I'm saying you believe that.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:15 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I'll skip the LowonLuck defamation

I'm 57. At this stage in life, I'm pretty focused on lining up my ducks to retire comfortably. A big age spread in either direction wouldn't work. A 47-year-old would have a tough time relating to my medium-term life goals. 67 is likely already retired and in a very different stage in life.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'll skip the LowonLuck defamation

I'm 57. At this stage in life, I'm pretty focused on lining up my ducks to retire comfortably. A big age spread in either direction wouldn't work. A 47-year-old would have a tough time relating to my medium-term life goals. 67 is likely already retired and in a very different stage in life.
LowOnLuck insulted 50-year-olds and we turned things around as an illustration so she could understand what she was saying and how she was saying it. It didn't work...

As for the rest...See now, that's the thing for me as well (or would be if I weren't married and were currently looking)...10 years older than I am would be going on 59. That's hitching rather close to retirement and may even involve grandparenthood. Meanwhile, I have a 4th grader in the house. Just very different stages in so many ways.

And no, this wouldn't necessarily be the case with every prospective date, as everyone's situation is different, but...more often than not if we're talking about the way things generally go.

Now conversely, 10 years younger would be going on 39. That's by no means "a little boy" and almost doable (ha! See what I did there? Sorry, LOL, couldn't resist adding that...I'm cheap) and for many men would mean kids my kids' ages (kids at home are 12 and 9).

That still wouldn't mean I'd want to go 10 years younger, it does seem too young, to me...for some reason. But...just saying...stages have something to do with this, too.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:16 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
I'm over ten lustrum, but i don't feel my life is even close to being half over. There are many more beautiful, wonderful days & nights to look forward to, in the future.....

Old 03-23-2016, 09:52 AM

971 posts, read 688,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

I used to think all women her age thought this way about guys over 50, until i became a single guy 50. I found out that it is no problem dating women mid 20's on up over 50, because unlike lowonluck a lot of younger women really seem to like us older guys. I know i am not the only guy over 50 here that has had good luck with women in their 20's and 30's as i have read their stories.

I have found that a lot of the younger ones i have dated are much like her....they have had their share of losers and when they find a stable older guy who likes kids, isn't a cheater, and they find out they get treated well, the age difference suddenly doesn't matter.

I have also been told that younger women seem to have this idea us older guys are not interested in sex, or are no longer any good in bed. They always seem surprised that is not the case. I was in a bar one night when i was dating a mid twenties woman and i came back from the restroom as the younger bartender had just got done asking her what it was like being with an older guy. I had to laugh when she said (without knowing i was behind her so i know it wasn't for my benefit) OMG you wouldn't believe it, you need to try an older guy sometime, it's great.

I have no problem with dating younger women because i believe age is only a number and as long as it's not a crazy age difference, nobody really notices or says anything. When i dated the 23yo i did get a lot of snarky comments from single women, and i got patted on the back a lot by single guys. I never really thought much about it. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post

I have no problem with dating younger women because i believe age is only a number
Which means that yes, you'd be with someone 10 years older than you? Or 20 years older, as your description of the 30-year-olds you date (or for that matter, 30 years older, as your description of the 20-year-olds you date)?

I do realize you followed up the above clipped sentence by saying as long as it's not a crazy difference but what you're supporting in your post is the woman going 20-30 years older, based on how you date, so I'm assuming you're saying 20-30 years is not a crazy difference. So my question to you would be, you say it's fine as age is only a number, so would you date a woman 20 years older than you or perhaps 30?

Old 03-23-2016, 10:12 AM

And folks. For the record, and I'll just put this out there generally...no, age isn't just a number. Age is your experience. It's your life stage. It's how your body is functioning internally (people fall apart at drastically varying rates but like any other carbon-based living creature we DO fall apart). It's all the cultural references you grew up with and it's your memories and the memories of your contemporaries. It's thousands and thousands of individual experiences and stages you've gone through over X amount of years and that's it, there's no changing that...well, unless you hit your head and get amnesia.

People tell me how "young" I look. My husband was even telling me the other night, "There's no way you're 48, you look 35!" While that was a lovely thing for him to say since, as a societal rule, it's supposedly "good" to look young and not older (even if, functionally, that's not the case - I am WAY happier now than I was in my 20s), I AM 48. I HAVE lived for 48 years. Period. If I've lived 48 years but I look 35, I don't just have 35 years of life's experiences and up and down and wear and tear. I have 48 of them. Full stop. I'm not "just like a 35-year-old!" or "just like a 28-year-old!" or however "young" I may look on any given day. What I'm just like, is me...me with 48 years of life experience on this planet.

There's no way a 50-year-old can say he's literally the same as a 20-year-old because "age is just a number." That 20-year-old has not lived for half a century, full stop. Sorry, that one truism just bugs me a little...not a lot because, whatever gets you through the day, I won't judge, but...I always think, "Um what?" LOL. No matter what one's attitude about one's age - and let's hope we all have generally a positive one in that regard - you have lived for as long as you've lived, with alllllllllllllll those years of accumulated experiences and that can't be erased by any self-view.

Again, just how I see things, though I think it's quite logical and I don't know that it's necessarily debatable that 50 or 60 IS 50 or 60 (no matter how one looks or "feels inside!"), I mean it just...is. Now what one does with that as regards dating, I won't judge because there are all sorts of situations out there and if everyone is happy, that's the goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships