Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 PM

13 posts, read 93,418 times

Advertisements

I can say as a guy living in a north florida ( Panama City) town that is absolutely saturated with single moms that it is bordering on impossible to find a girl over the age of 23-24 who does not have kids.I've lived here for 25 years and this is no exaguration, dating a single mom is almost a requirement if you want to find someone in this neck of the woods and yet this is something that I have purposed not to do. I have gone out with and also have friends who are single moms and it is difficult at best to get to know someone and find time to see someone when kids are involved. Throw in things like sick kids, soccer/baseball games, homework, baby sitters who bail on you at the last minute and dating or at lease finding a level of consistency in dating is unrealistic.Most guys like myself who don't have kids and are free to do things without much prior planning don't want to deal with having to plan things around someone's kids. I know that sounds inconsiderate but that's just the reality of it. I've been looking for a new city to relocate to for the last year or so and one of the main reasons is the difficulty in finding a girl near my age (I'm in my 30's) who doesn't have kids. Throw in things like ex husbands/fathers, girls that want you to be a part of their lives but don't want you to say anything to their kids when they misbehave and it becomes more trouble than a lot of guys want to deal with. Just my point of view, there are a lot of guys that don't mind if a girl has kids and to be fair it's the same issue from a girls perspective because that means there are an equal number of single dad's out here as well but It's not something I would even consider doing. It's just personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 PM

123 posts, read 122,696 times
Im a single mom and got joint custody with my ex. Of course my kids comes first, but I also have some free time to date. I like to independent and not desperate to have a man in my life. I dated a single father too and I never had a problem with him having kids. Every single moms schedule is different so nobody cant say all single mothers are the same.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:44 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin2012 View Post
I've dated a few single mom's in the past....and it tends to be tough. You have to accept both and if the relationship does not work out, the child gets hurt as well.
Yep that's why it is hard to date.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I don't really have a problem dating a single mother, and have done so in the past, but it can be difficult.

I know that the kids come first, but should a woman be dating if she has no time?

For example, I dated a woman for about a month, and saw her once a week. Then for an entire month after that, she was unavailable due to various obligations, and we only lived 10 minutes away from each other. I would have continued to see her, but it was like a long distance relationship, which I'm not interested in.

So, for you single moms:

How do you date if you have no time?

What did you do to make time to see the man you were dating?

Or, did you just not date?
A single mother might have time to date if the father has visitation. She may have every other weekend off parenting and even one day in the middle of the week. When the kids have the other parent it makes a lot of difference.

However if the single mother must hold down a full time job and has a small child or children, those children already have limited time to spend with her and their needs should come first. When children become teenagers, they still need a parent and even more if they have only one parent.

Children should be viewed as more than a casual committment, they are a full time committment.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:08 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Run View Post
I can say as a guy living in a north florida ( Panama City) town that is absolutely saturated with single moms that it is bordering on impossible to find a girl over the age of 23-24 who does not have kids.I've lived here for 25 years and this is no exaguration, dating a single mom is almost a requirement if you want to find someone in this neck of the woods
Hi neighbor! I haven't been in this area as long as you, but there is a lot of truth to what you said, as far as I can see. I'm way beyond dating in that age range though (so my direct experience is almost nil), but this seems true for the people I work with or with friends' daughters. I do know a few attractive 30-ish women without kids, but they moved here from other places.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin2012 View Post
I've dated a few single mom's in the past....and it tends to be tough. You have to accept both and if the relationship does not work out, the child gets hurt as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Yep that's why it is hard to date.
You're entitled to have a life outside the home.

We are talking dating here. The child doesn't have to be involved, especially to the point where there is any "hurt."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships