Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
At the risk of being censored I would have to say that yes you probably do have "traits" that would irritate me.That said, how does this effect the way the world spins..... It's opinion...with spice at times....It's the forum where people say what they feel.......

they say what they feel, yes, but they don't intentionally lash out or insult others by name calling, b/c there is a difference of opinion...or call people names...not very nice....yanno? You think one way, I think another, doesn't make you right, me wrong...or visa versa...

now, what side of the bed did you get out of this morning..... I don't think this is about nationality...you sound very angry...and there is something brewin underneath as I've not seen you lash out at others on this forum like that...not since I've been here? I hope all is well with you and yours.

and, just for the record...the people you referred to included me, and I am not in OZ or a liar....I just feel we all bleed the same...and I'm kinda tired of all the hate in our world of late.

Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
I don't see what's so horrible about prefering certain nationalities over others. I'm not against other nationalities, I just would find it very difficult to bridge some of the cultural gaps when it comes to dating and marriage. I would probably have an easier time dating a Aussie than a Nigerian. Why is it so bad to admit that?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:57 AM

328 posts, read 1,033,927 times
Default No Time.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
The funny thing is...those that judge or complain the most about foreigners...seem to have forgotten that their very own ancestors migrated to America from another country! And now they sit here and ***** and moan about others coming here. This country was built on the pioneering of foreigners. Even the American Indians traveled throughout the country exploring and settling in new areas. Taking wives or husbands from other tribes. Personally I have no time for anyone that complains about nationality or race. Because those individuals are to ignorant to even waste the breath it takes to talk to them. They would not be in this country themselves if their very own ancestors had not had the courage or the spirit to move on and explore for a life better than what they had. So I say if a foriegner takes it upon themselves to travel here, settle in, find a mate and make a life here...then more power to them. I would much rather associate with them than some redneck racist that has nothing better to do than ***** about foriegners taking over this country, or 2 people from different nationalities finding peace and happiness with each other. They need to get over the Klu Klux Klan mindset man. They act like Hitler. They think everyone should be blond and blue eyed. What a crock. Obviously those people live miserable lives and try to make everyone around them miserable as well. It's really a sad situation. If you find a mate you bond with...regardless of nationality, race or creed...I say go for it. Live for your happiness...not some miserable whiner that does'nt even know his own ancestorial lines. I'm half Swede half Norwegian and proud of it. It surprises me how many do not know their own blood lines...and those are usually the first to stand up and complain about foriegners.

If you have no time then why bother responding to a thread such as this....Do you not agree that folks are entitled to state their opinion...You stated yours.....Some people might not appreciate the KKK reference ie the "KKK mindset." May be I missed something but I didn't see one word other than yours that referenced the KKK.......You seem to state with authority how everyone feels "everyone should be blonde and blue eyed".......The post was about how important is nationality was it not?...Save the preaching for Sunday Dude !!!! People are expressing themselves...Don't get your stockings in a bunch hey?
Spiritwalker

Old 09-05-2007, 12:00 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
I'm not in a bunch. Like you I stated my opinion. Like you I expressed myself. Nationality is not important in my opinion. Guess I should have said that to begin with. Thanks for getting me back on track.

Maybe I should have also added a smily face... so as not to give the wrong impression of my post.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:04 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,616 times
Simply put, it isn't.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 PM

328 posts, read 1,033,927 times
Default Woke up... got out of bed...dragged the comb across my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
they say what they feel, yes, but they don't intentionally lash out or insult others by name calling, b/c there is a difference of opinion...or call people names...not very nice....yanno? You think one way, I think another, doesn't make you right, me wrong...or visa versa...

now, what side of the bed did you get out of this morning..... I don't think this is about nationality...you sound very angry...and there is something brewin underneath as I've not seen you lash out at others on this forum like that...not since I've been here? I hope all is well with you and yours.

and, just for the record...the people you referred to included me, and I am not in OZ or a liar....I just feel we all bleed the same...and I'm kinda tired of all the hate in our world of late.

Creme

I woke up ...saw the ceiling and knew it would be a good day....All is very well with me and mine thank you......I am very passionate about everything that I said regarding this thread......I don't condemn anyone for their beliefs period...What I don't particularly like is anyone assuming that I am attacking them One, Two I am not at all enamored with self righteous folks who assume tha one belongs to a particular hate group.....The thread was about nationality...I notice differences what else can I tell ya.....Nobody's right if everybody's wrong....If this forum were to turn into a scene from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" where everyone walks along zombie like ......That would be sad....viva la difference........
Spiritwalker

Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I'm not in a bunch. Like you I stated my opinion. Like you I expressed myself. Nationality is not important in my opinion. Guess I should have said that to begin with. Thanks for getting me back on track.

Maybe I should have also added a smily face... so as not to give the wrong impression of my post.
Great posts as usual ! But then again I would expect nothing less from such a nice chap as you.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,027 times
Default Confession time for me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I don't see what's so horrible about prefering certain nationalities over others. I'm not against other nationalities, I just would find it very difficult to bridge some of the cultural gaps when it comes to dating and marriage. I would probably have an easier time dating a Aussie than a Nigerian. Why is it so bad to admit that?
Although I pretty much stand by my original post, I do have a confession to make. My blood line is Irish/american indian pretty much. I just consider myself of white orgin. I cant think of how to spell the official word right now. I stated that I prefered my own kind and color, when , in reality the woman I love, and plan to marry is full blooded Italian. I think what I mainly meant is what the above poster is talking about, the cultural differences that exist. Because she was born here, and grew up here there really isnt anything to overcome as far as cultural differences. In fact, she is an english instructor at a university. And, whats more, my family absolutly adores her. But I absolutly agree with the above poster that there is nothing wrong with wanting to stay with your own kind either. Nor do I consider myself a kkk type person, nor a Hitler type for feeling that way. I think we should all do what works best for us on an individual level. I mean, Im not the one to say who someone else should be with.But I sure believe many people today get carried away with this racism thing. And Im gratful my brain doesnt treat me that way.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:27 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
Dennis I agree. When I mention nationality, I'm looking at it from a cultural standpoint, not a racial/ethnic one. I think most people prefer to date and marry people who are culturally similar to themselves. It's perfectly natural to feel this way.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:43 PM
sun sun started this thread

683 posts, read 2,124,718 times
Sorry, maybe I should have used the word ethnicity in my OP, instead of nationality.

I enjoyed reading all of the posts. The controversy is probably related to the simple fact that some people & groups exhibit a whole lot more ethnic and cultural differences than others.
Some traits are easier to overlook and accept if there's a lot of natural attraction between the individuals to begin with, while for others, exhibiting a lot of ethnicity presents a much greater obstacle to successful coupling.
And what's an attraction for some will most likely act as a repellent for others though. That's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is.
I live in a very ethnic city with a diverse ethnic history. There are many ethnic social clubs and churches from all over the world that illustrate the previous generations of immigrants. From Armenians to Ukrainians and just about every group in between.
But many of the offspring have disappeared and moved, and the population now reflects the newer waves of nationalities. This city is now predominated by Polish and Puerto Rican immigrants, and I can assure you that considering the large numbers of each group, that there is very, very little inter-mingling between the 2 groups. Even though they may live right next to each other, they live apart as if in 2 totally separate worlds. It's definitely because of ethnic & cultural differences. Generations from now, maybe it will change and become a different story, but certainly not right now or in the near future.

Last edited by sun; 09-05-2007 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships