Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
qwy qwy started this thread

296 posts, read 521,163 times

Advertisements

I'm not completely sure how to word this, so hopefully you understand my question.

Why do people who have been hurt in relationships, try to hurt there curent boyfriend/girlfriend? I'm specifically talking about the ones who are always saying how great you are or how lucky they are to have someone like you, or how you are unlike any other person they've known.

Now I don't mean people with baggage like, going through you phone, or always checking where you are -though I know those can be symptoms of the same problem-. I mean the ones who say real subtle things, like bragging about other people they find really attractive infront of you or casually saying something that is hurtful or mean to you, but they don't see it being that way.

His this happened to anyone else? Why does they do this? And why when you break up with them, they completely don't see it coming? Is it really possible that they didn't realize that always saying mean and hurtful things -though in a subtle way- wouldn't bother you, because I refuse to believe that they didn't no that some of the comments they made toward you in passing wouldn't be seen as hurtful

Last edited by qwy; 02-06-2012 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Add email
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 AM

10,218 posts, read 17,929,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
I'm not completely sure how to word this, so hopefully you understand my question.

Why do people who have been hurt in relationships, try to hurt there curent boyfriend/girlfriend? I'm specifically talking about the ones who are always saying how great you are or how lucky they are to have someone like you, or how you are unlike any other person they've known.

Now I don't mean people with baggage like, going through you phone, or always checking where you are -though I know those can be symptoms of the same problem-. I mean the ones who say real subtle things, like bragging about other people they find really attractive infront of you or casually saying something that is hurtful or mean to you, but they don't see it being that way.
Maybe they genuinely don't see it that way and maybe you are just being too sensitive? I could be wrong... but you say it's in subtle ways and you speak as thought this has happened to you more than once and usually, when there's a pattern of something, you have to look for the common denominator, which in this case would be you. Alternatively, you're just attracted to the wrong kind of people who are insensitive to your feelings.

Quote:
His this happened to anyone else? Why does they do this? And why when you break up with them, they completely don't see it coming?
Did you communicate with them how you were feeling before breaking up with them? You can't expect people to be psychic, if something is bothering you to the point where you're considering breaking up with them, you need to speak up. You need to say "It really bothers me when you say stuff like that. Maybe I'm just being too sensitive but maybe you're also being insensitive to my feelings. I'm finding it to be a real problem and if we can't resolve it, I'm not sure we can continue on together." At least give them the chance to work things out. Again, I could be wrong but when you say they completely don't see it coming, it suggests you weren't communicating how you were feeling to them.

Quote:
Is it really possible that they didn't realize that always saying mean and hurtful things -though in a subtle way- wouldn't bother you, because I refuse to believe that they didn't no that some of the comments they made toward you in passing wouldn't be seen as hurtful
Everyone has different sensitivity levels. Without examples and specifics, it's hard to say whether you're just being too sensitive or whether your partners have been insensitive - or maybe a combo of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships