Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,706,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
If all of the men you have met are anything like "Free Beer," you, my dear, are in serious trouble. You are definitely meeting the wrong men.
LOL. No that seems about accurate, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,296,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I'm really curious to hear a women's opinion on this topic, but I welcome everybody's answer. Why do we treat weight differently? If you aren't attracted to women or men because they may be obese, overweight, chunky, or whatever, you are considered shallow. If you aren't attracted to somebody because of their skin color, height, the way they dress, or hair color, its just a simple case of having preferences. Why is weight seperated from everything else? Why is it wrong not be attracted to somebody for weight, but its ok for skin color, hair color, height or whatever else you want to throw in there.
It isn't shallow at all, it's just we live in a society that's bent on being PC, and if you aren't PC your vilified or shamed.

Being fat and obese is a sign of low class and slovenliness, besides it can be easily remedied with some exercise and effort. People are just lazy, especially in the states where car culture dominates.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 PM

let me add this as well.

Sometimes folks are big, really big. They might not have a clue about nutrition or how to eat in general. This is a big issue in the hood, where the concept of basic nutrition has been thrown out the window in favor of a bag of Dorito's or Lays. If someone is big, the least you can do is help them out. Let them know that excess weight isn't healthy for their body. I know I can be an a hole but I don't like to see people suffer, especially from things that they can change if they put forward a little effort. It's very easy to shame a fat person about their weight but in that case your actually doing more harm than good.

Now when it comes down to being in a relationship you want your partner to be the best that they can be, if you don't...well then your settling and that's setting your relationship up to fail.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,428,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
It isn't shallow at all, it's just we live in a society that's bent on being PC, and if you aren't PC your vilified or shamed.

Being fat and obese is a sign of low class and slovenliness, besides it can be easily remedied with some exercise and effort. People are just lazy, especially in the states where car culture dominates.
What an astoundingly ignorant and inaccurate thing to say

Oh, and FYI, plenty of very "high class" people have weight issues.

Obesity can be a much more complicated issue, especially among inner city economically disadvantaged people, than you apparently realize.

You think it's "easily" remedied? That's hilarious, really. For most obese people losing the weight will be one of the hardest things they'll ever do.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:18 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times
the trick of the slob is to get the rejecting party to feel guilty.
we have white guilt, gender guilt, age guilt, rich guilt, high achiever guilt, and now pretty guilt.
this is much easier than working on your own stuff.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What an astoundingly ignorant and inaccurate thing to say

Oh, and FYI, plenty of very "high class" people have weight issues.

Obesity can be a much more complicated issue, especially among inner city economically disadvantaged people, than you apparently realize.

You think it's "easily" remedied? That's hilarious, really. For most obese people losing the weight will be one of the hardest things they'll ever do.
See my second post.

There are certain things you can't change, like your parents, your skin color etc. but if you can get into shape. People make the journey out to be something hard, the easiest thing you can do is start.

The journey will be hard, very hard at some points. It all depends on the individuals demeanor. The hardest thing a person can do is have patience that's why people consider losing weight "hard".

I know all about the inner city, through living and working in it throughout my life. That's a different topic and i'm not here to change the discussion.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,783,953 times
As a fattie myself,I don't think its wrong to not want to date obese women.

However,I noticed that when a guy who like big girls says he doesn't like thin skinny sticks,some people don't find that insulting to the skinny women. Same guy usuaully gets cheered,and no one calls him out on his rude behavior.

Just saying,if a guy says he likes skinny women he usually gets called shallow,but when a guy says he likes big girls that guy is just stating his preferences.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:59 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,783,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Ugly women say it's shallow for men to pursue attractive ladies. Fat women say pro-thin guys are shallow. Just a bunch of self-serving nonsense that allows them to justify their appearance instead of working on improving.

An exgirlfriend of mine once said, "I do not understand how fat girls can expect to find a decent boyfriend." Attractive, fit women do not think men are shallow for wanting attractive, fit women.
Your ex is right.
However,the fatty guys are usually chasing the attractive ones too.

So I take back my post above.

Only fat men who refuse to date fat women are shallow.
And vice versa.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,126,486 times
I don't understand why people get offended by other people's tastes as if it's some condemnation of how they look or what they prefer.

On the other hand, I don't see why people push their taste on others or try to create some objective standard based on their preferences (especially by using degrading terms towards what they find unattractive).

Let's just accept different people find different physical traits attractive and that some people are willing to overlook traits that others' won't, or that for them it's a positive trait & not even something to be overlooked.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 AM

37,477 posts, read 45,733,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I'm really curious to hear a women's opinion on this topic, but I welcome everybody's answer. Why do we treat weight differently? If you aren't attracted to women or men because they may be obese, overweight, chunky, or whatever, you are considered shallow. If you aren't attracted to somebody because of their skin color, height, the way they dress, or hair color, its just a simple case of having preferences. Why is weight seperated from everything else? Why is it wrong not be attracted to somebody for weight, but its ok for skin color, hair color, height or whatever else you want to throw in there.
I don't call anyone shallow for having this preference. Some here do, but I never have.

What is "shallow" to me is when someone only wants a person that matches a "perfect" body image that they have in their mind. As if they already have drawn up a physical representation of what they want, and that one image is all they are interested in. THAT, is shallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships