Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Mike, I'm curious to why the age difference is an issue?

Compatability has nothing to do with age and something you'll never find out if you don't get to know a person.

Even the right age doesn't guarantee a match made in heaven.

Would you be open to doing lunches on her weekly visits or have you closed the door completely?
A 10-year age difference would not have been an issue, but she also didn't feel comfortable with the 16-year age difference; I'll have to ask her about maybe doing lunches as friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 PM

90 posts, read 131,511 times
This was fun to read. I was hoping you would meet the secret admirer, have a long lunch that you didn't want to end and that both of you couldn't stop smiling. Sorry it didn't work out that way.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:34 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
She went through a very painful divoce about 3 years ago and she might have just needed a little time to get over it, she also mentioned to me in the conversation during lunch yesterday that she is a little shy.

If I wanted to find out if somebody was single, I would go directly to her and ask her, I would not go around and ask others.
Regarding the purple bold: Yes, then that would make sense why she took time to approach you. I can't imagine it being easy to start dating again after a divorce that apparently wasn't pleasant for her.

Though imo, if I'm that shy, I would ask someone in the office if they knew whether or not you were single since it had been over a year since she saw you. I guess I'd rather have someone say you're in a relationship rather than come to you and say, "Hi Mike. How would you like to have coffee some day? Are you single?" and then you say, "Sorry Bella. I'm not single." I think I would be too embarrassed lol...but at least you got to know who your admirer is and that itself is so flattering. If anything, it sounds like you met a nice lady to have a friendship with.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,468 times
I think he just didn't fancy her that much and the chemistry wasn't there. Also, she was embarassed, when she faced up to what she had done - and realised zero chemistry. 16 years younger doesn't matter. If you really liked her - it wouldn't have mattered.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
I think he just didn't fancy her that much and the chemistry wasn't there. Also, she was embarassed, when she faced up to what she had done - and realised zero chemistry. 16 years younger doesn't matter. If you really liked her - it wouldn't have mattered.
I think you're making an unfair assumption about both of us, we both respect each each other, and if the age difference were only 10 years, we probably would have given courtship a chance.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:23 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
I had a secret admirer when I was in the 3rd grade. As an adult, I am not a fan of childish games.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:31 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
I think you're making an unfair assumption about both of us, we both respect each each other, and if the age difference were only 10 years, we probably would have given courtship a chance.
Mike, no offense, you know I'm one of your biggest fans - but I just do not get your prejudice against age

It really sounds to me like you are sabotaging yourself and letting a golden opportunity slip by you. It also kind of sounds like you are just making excuses in order to avoid getting close to someone new.

And I'm betting she only got "uncomfortable" about the age difference when you made it an issue and gave her the impression you were too old for her

My friend, I truly want you to find love! You are such an awesome guy, but you have to be more open to women who come your way or I fear it won't happen, and that would be a shame.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,468 times
Quote:
Oh, let your hair down!!!!!!!! If you fancied her you would have gone for it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Mike, no offense, you know I'm one of your biggest fans - but I just do not get your prejudice against age

It really sounds to me like you are sabotaging yourself and letting a golden opportunity slip by you. It also kind of sounds like you are just making excuses in order to avoid getting close to someone new.

And I'm betting she only got "uncomfortable" about the age difference when you made it an issue and gave her the impression you were too old for her

My friend, I truly want you to find love! You are such an awesome guy, but you have to be more open to women who come your way or I fear it won't happen, and that would be a shame.
Thanks LovesMountains, but like I mentioned, it wasn't a "prejudice" against age, both of us felt that a 16-year difference in age is too much, and I did not make it an "issue", it only came about in the conversation when we were discussing the injury on my right knee cap in May of last year, which I'm still recovering from, and I mentioned that I was 27 years of age in February of 1984 when I broke my right ankle and fractured my left heel at the same time, that was when she realized that there is a bigger age difference than she thought there was.

I know what you mean, I am tired of being single and I definitely need that special woman in my life, and I know that sometimes we need to make compromises in finding that special person because we all know there isn't anyone out there that'll meet every one of our expectations, but that doesn't mean that we should make a compromise that will threaten any future for us together. I know it was tough for both of us, but it's better to make that tough decision now, rather than be married then realize 5-10 years later that we both made a mistake by compromising on the 16-year age difference.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:52 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
and I did not make it an "issue", it only came about in the conversation when we were discussing the injury on my right knee cap in May of last year, which I'm still recovering from, and I mentioned that I was 27 years of age in February of 1984 when I broke my right ankle and fractured my left heel at the same time
Wow! Some topics of conversation with a potential romantic interest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships