Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LOL.. Okay, I'll send a couple of boxes to the address you listed, but it might take a while before you get them....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 AM

15 posts, read 28,749 times
Quote:
I finally met this woman today. I posted a message about it in one of the threads in the Community Chat.
//www.city-data.com/forum/22903226-post598.html
Mike - I understand that you feel uncomfortable with the age difference, but if she's okay with it, I really think you should give her a chance. It took guts for her to approach you like she did so she really must like you a lot. I hope you change your mind and go out with her.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
I finally met this woman today. I posted a message about it in one of the threads in the Community Chat.
//www.city-data.com/forum/22903226-post598.html
Mike, I'm curious to why the age difference is an issue?

Compatability has nothing to do with age and something you'll never find out if you don't get to know a person.

Even the right age doesn't guarantee a match made in heaven.

Would you be open to doing lunches on her weekly visits or have you closed the door completely?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzen View Post
Mike - I understand that you feel uncomfortable with the age difference, but if she's okay with it, I really think you should give her a chance. It took guts for her to approach you like she did so she really must like you a lot. I hope you change your mind and go out with her.
She liked him based on his appearance and lack of wedding ring. She assumed no wedding ring meant he was single. My husband doesn't wear his either for work related reasons. She saw him at a Christmas party in 2010. They really didn't know each other. I think we all have our own comfort zones and if 16 years is too much of an age difference, then that's Mike's decision. I don't understand though why it took her over a year to approach Mike. If I see someone that I'm interested in, I would ask around to find out if he's single or not. I wouldn't wait over a year. But that's just my opinion.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Mike, I'm curious to why the age difference is an issue?

Compatability has nothing to do with age and something you'll never find out if you don't get to know a person.

Even the right age doesn't guarantee a match made in heaven.

Would you be open to doing lunches from time to time or have you closed the door completely?
That's what I was telling him (exchanged some DM's). According to him, she was also uncomfortable with the age difference, thinking he was 45. So, you like somebody, you think he's good enough, and all of a sudden the number changes everything! That's nuts! Unless she's trying to catch the last baby train or something (in which case it is kind of late for him, even though it has been done), I can't see what her problem is. As far as he goes, the approach is totally beyond me! His age range is firmly 45-57! Should somebody be 44 or 58, that's it... Bug - out of range!

Btw, this stuff is posted on another thread. It's not like I'm exposing private messages.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I had one. It was fun and intriguing at first. Then it turned into a real pain in the ass. As in, "Just tell me already." When I found out who it was, it was a terrible letdown.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
Ok Mike, let's try this from a different angle.

Say you don't know this womans age, you meet her, things go great, and you end up dating her. You couldn't be happier, etc.

After 6 mos. of bliss with this woman, she tells you she's 39.

Do you dump her or keep it going?
That is a very good question, and it is very tough to answer because it would be a very tough situation. It's never easy to "dump" someone just because she's 16 years younger than I am, but after only 6 months, I would be honest and upfront with her and tell her that I don't feel comfortable with the age difference. If the difference were only 10 years, then it would not have bothered me, but 16 years is really far beyond what I feel comfortable with. Keep in mind that she didn't feel comfortable with the age difference also, so the feeling was mutual.

One of the gals I was involved with in the past (from 1988 until 1993) told me that she was only 4 years older than I am, without going into too many details, one of her daughters, who I was led to believe was a cousin of this gal, told me the truth in 1993 and it turned out she was 15 years older. Long story short, I decided to end the relationship. That's why I avoid getting involved with anyone in the first place, who is at an age that's beyond a range that I feel comfortable with.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
Oh. my. goodness!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzen View Post
Both of us felt uncomfortable with the age difference, not just me. Thanks for your advice though.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
She liked him based on his appearance and lack of wedding ring. She assumed no wedding ring meant he was single. My husband doesn't wear his either for work related reasons. She saw him at a Christmas party in 2010. They really didn't know each other. I think we all have our own comfort zones and if 16 years is too much of an age difference, then that's Mike's decision. I don't understand though why it took her over a year to approach Mike. If I see someone that I'm interested in, I would ask around to find out if he's single or not. I wouldn't wait over a year. But that's just my opinion.
She went through a very painful divoce about 3 years ago and she might have just needed a little time to get over it, she also mentioned to me in the conversation during lunch yesterday that she is a little shy.

If I wanted to find out if somebody was single, I would go directly to her and ask her, I would not go around and ask others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships