Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times

Advertisements

After a very long period of thinking last night and today, I have decided to leave my hometown. I want to search for a job in the East Valley of Phoenix after I successfully get my Associates Degree in May. My parents are a bit iffy on it, but I can't take living here anymore.

Any sort of support or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
What is your A.S. degree in?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,403 times
go west, young man.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
What is your A.S. degree in?
General Studies, but I want to continue further in Business.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
General Studies, but I want to continue further in Business.
Alright well...Now is not the time to be job hopping but I don't know the specifics of your life/career. g.l.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Alright well...Now is not the time to be job hopping but I don't know the specifics of your life/career. g.l.
I'll have the Associates in May, and I'm in line for a couple thousand dollars (for working on houses).

Isn't that enough to 1. Down payment for an apartment and 2. Rent U-Haul?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Good for you!

I think from reading your previous post that you NEED to get away from whatever small town you come from to experience different things.

Seriously.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I'll have the Associates in May, and I'm in line for a couple thousand dollars (for working on houses).

Isn't that enough to 1. Down payment for an apartment and 2. Rent U-Haul?

When I do stuff I plan it out. I don't make sudden, major moves in life like that. I did when I moved from NJ to center city Philly and brought my as* right back within 2 or 3 months, LOL. But you are young and if you want to go that route, fine by me. How many thousands are you talking? Because $2,000 and $10,000 is a big difference. Yes you can rent a U-Haul for that much and make a down payment on an apartment but what about 2 or 3 months down the road? How you going to pay your rent if you don't find a job? have you ever been to the area your moving to -- at night time? I found out areas look a certain way in the day time and things pop off differently at night.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM

93 posts, read 112,858 times
Apply to a few colleges in cities you'd want to live in. You won't find any job with decent wages if you only have your A.S.

Look for other options. I moved out at 17. Worked 3 crappy jobs while in school, barely keeping my head above water. Yeah, I learned a lot. It was hell. I learned the value of the saying "think smart, not hard." Think about your options.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Good for you!

I think from reading your previous post that you NEED to get away from whatever small town you come from to experience different things.

Seriously.
I know, it's when I saw my friend and that girl at the same time, it made me realize how much time I have left. My parents are kind of iffy on me moving there, but say they will support my decision.

Quote:
When I do stuff I plan it out. I don't make sudden, major moves in life like that. I did when I moved from NJ to center city Philly and brought my as* right back within 2 or 3 months, LOL. But you are young and if you want to go that route, fine by me. How many thousands are you talking? Because $2,000 and $10,000 is a big difference. Yes you can rent a U-Haul for that much and make a down payment on an apartment but what about 2 or 3 months down the road? How you going to pay your rent if you don't find a job? have you ever been to the area your moving to -- at night time? I found out areas look a certain way in the day time and things pop off differently at night.
It's somwhere around $1500-$3000 lined up, it's not like I'm not going to have a job lined up, what do you think I'll be spending Spring Break (just a month away) for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimps88 View Post
Apply to a few colleges in cities you'd want to live in. You won't find any job with decent wages if you only have your A.S.

Look for other options. I moved out at 17. Worked 3 crappy jobs while in school, barely keeping my head above water. Yeah, I learned a lot. It was hell. I learned the value of the saying "think smart, not hard." Think about your options.
There are a couple Community Colleges in the towns I thought of already, but I don't know if they are ASU satelite campuses or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships