Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 12:07 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post

Parents. I know you would never admit this in public but since you are pretty anonymous on CD, maybe you'll be willing to answer. Do you ever wish you were CF, even if just for a day?
Well, we are "child-free" now since our only child died six years ago. As for as ever wanting to be "child-free," my answer is this-children are a lot of work and trouble and sometimes heartache. But wanting to be "child-free?"--not in a million years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
I'm 44 and I sometimes think I missed out not having a child. I wouldn't mind being pregnant right now, but I think that would be a long shot. I don't know that my body is able to conceive a child naturally now. Even if it could, I'd need to find someone to donate their seed...

But anyhow, I have no child and I must look at the positives.

Greenie

Old 12-26-2007, 01:07 PM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times
As a mother and an employed one at that, I find it hard to believe that people would feel that they have had to pick up the slack for those parents who has had to leave work early due to child emergencies. Prior to being a manager, I have always picked up the slack for employees without children who has had to leave early or call in sick due to some personal reason OTHER than it being child related. As a manager, I have also had to fill in for those employees with and without children, so I don't see it as picking up the slack for anyone because we are all expected to do our fair share of the daily work load regardless of your family status....It's called TEAMWORK.

In regards to looking down on those who don't have children, I couldn't care less if a person chooses to have children or not, that is his or her choice. There are some people who shouldn't be parents anyway so why worry about those who don't have children. I think children are just beautiful individuals and I love them dearly; however what I consider love and priority can be completely different from those around me. So do I think differently about those who are "childfree"? Nope, sometimes they have it a little better than us parents, for those who don't have children, you can't imagine the stress of worrying about your children's safety and well being...especially when they are out late at night....some mothers like myself cannot sleep until we are sure that our kids are safe at home.

We also have to take into consideration that some people are childfree NOT BY CHOICE, but due to circumstances, whether it be health or financially related so we can't just judge those because they don't have children.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:22 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
I think the two keys to the Childfree (meaning never had kids) and Parents getting along are acceptance and respect. Accept each other's life choices (without judging them) and respect them for who they are.

Jade,
You sound like a good manager. The scenario you describe is the opposite of what I've experienced - its the parents who need the slack picked up. This is no problem if everyone (as a team - well put Jade) shares the flex time and extra time to cover for others.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
What bothers me is a lot of parents assume that because I'm 32 and childless, I must be one of those "I hate children/childfree" types, and they are immediately defensive about their choice to have kids.

In fact, I want to have children very much and we're planning to start trying to have a baby next year. I'm just starting later than they did.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:02 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Childfree CDers. How are you doing this Christmas season? Are you finding other CFers to hang out with or are you stuck with family who are badgering you to reproduce?
I didn't get to go home to see my family but I spent some time with my childess friend the saturday before Christmas. We had a good time catching on each others lives over brunch and coffee. I don't celebrate Christmas so it was pretty quiet at my house. How was your Christmas?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
I'm not Christian so I don't buy or accept presents, etc - went skiing instead...

Old 12-27-2007, 10:49 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
I spent the day with my boyfriend. Cooked a good meal and hung out with our dogs. Made a few phone calls to close friends.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:39 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, we are "child-free" now since our only child died six years ago. As for as ever wanting to be "child-free," my answer is this-children are a lot of work and trouble and sometimes heartache. But wanting to be "child-free?"--not in a million years!
KayKay sorry to hear about your loss; it is a thought I wouldn't dear to think of. In regards to sometimes wishing that I didn't have children, NOT EVER, I love my children and life to me wouldn't be the same anymore. I would rather die than to live without them now that I've experienced motherhood. God I don't know how I'm going to manage when they move out.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:34 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, we are "child-free" now since our only child died six years ago.
Well, actually you are childless; my sympathy to you on that Given the common usage of childfree, I doubt you'd want to be called that. As it has come to be recognized, childfree means "not wanting" or "free of" children. The word has gradually become a stronger presence; mostly because of internet usage; and has been separated from "childless" - that word meaning "without children" or "wanting but not having". It has more a connotation of someone who does want children but, for some reason lacks them ("less") in their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships