Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:25 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,280 times

Advertisements

I've only been seeing this girl for a month. I do like her and I'm considering a relationship with her, I'd like to give it another month to be sure. I've never been with anyone seriously and I'm not really sure if I'm moving too fast. So how long do u think long en enough? I'm in my mid 20s and she's almost 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 AM

Bump.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,643 times
I don't know if there is a standard amount of time you should date before becoming a couple...just whatever feels right to you. I'm in my mid-twenties too and I've only had a couple of relationships - With the first, we dated for about 5 months before becoming exclusive and in the second, we dated for 2 months before.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:09 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,063 times
Give things another month. Maybe let her give some indication of what she wants - she may even tell you. And you can ask, but give it more time first. Even if you do agree to become exclusive, that does not mean things will last. Relationships are fragile at first, and there are so many reasons - valid or not - that one person may decide that it isn't right for them. A truly serious relationship normally takes a year or two before permanence can be contemplated with any strong basis for expecting success, IMO.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,326 times
I think you need to talk to her about this - hate to see you blighsighted by the fact you and her were not looking for the same thing.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,825,278 times
I know you came here looking for help, but this question is like so many others posted here, that can can only be answered with the phrase: "It depends...."

There are no simple answers to these kind of complex relationship questions.
It depends on you, her, how you feel about her, how she feels about you, what you are looking for, what she is looking for, .... I could go on and on.

Except that in this case, "you should talk with her" is a pretty good start (and effective) answer/suggestion.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM

I'll definitely talk about it with her and see how it goes.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:59 PM

70 posts, read 278,268 times
Once, on a fourth date with a woman, I said "So I guess you're my girlfriend now." She replied, "Oh really??" She was certainly taken aback by my presumption, my being so forward. Now she's my wife.

I'm not saying you should follow in my footsteps, but the idea of dating this woman I really liked, and then dating others and having her date others was something that made my stomach turn. It's OK for "reality" TV, but icky in real life to me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with pursuing a relationship with someone after just a month. Just because you're being exclusive doesn't mean that you need to spend every moment with someone, it just means that you like this person enough to only want to see them. I think that's nice.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:32 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I've only been seeing this girl for a month. I do like her and I'm considering a relationship with her, I'd like to give it another month to be sure. I've never been with anyone seriously and I'm not really sure if I'm moving too fast. So how long do u think long en enough? I'm in my mid 20s and she's almost 30.
I don't really have a time limit. Usually not until after the 3rd or 4th date would it begin to cross my mind though.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
There is no set timeframe. Depends on the pace of the relationship, level of interest of the individuals, and their expectations for how they should proceed.

My soon to be wife and I had a relationship going fairly early in dating. Maybe third date. However, we had known each other a year and a half by then too, and basically had started dating with the expectationof a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships