U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM

14,743 posts, read 31,254,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
silly topics?
Hardly silly when it causes break-ups among younger people not yet committed and even mature and/or married people once they get a hankering that the grass is greener on the other side.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 PM

25,735 posts, read 28,288,170 times
Quote:
Well, let's see... I'm from California, my husband is from Florida, we met on tour in Alaska, started dating in Florida, got engaged in New York, and got married in Hawaii... so - who married up and who married down?
Guess you guys married up and down and up and down! That's okay. My husband and I married in and out and in and out. Whatever works!

Yes, I AM being silly.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 PM

21,188 posts, read 23,292,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Hardly silly when it causes break-ups among younger people not yet committed and even mature and/or married people once they get a hankering that the grass is greener on the other side.
Mature adults do not break up with someone because of a silly number. And people are not just numbers. Numbers really don't have anything to do with love or relationships. You are basing this off of looking at a couple and coming up with your rating system for them. But you don't know them. You don't know how they see each other. And a mature person in love with someone isn't going to fall for someone else simply because they are a "higher number."

And lots of silly things cause break-ups among younger people not yet committed. It's okay - that's what being young is for.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Robert, seriously? People have broken up and/or cheated while married literally because they thought they married one number down and they found someone of an equal number?

Come on, hon, get serious. If that's true, the person was never committed in the first place and would have found another reason. I do not believe there's a huge national crisis of people breaking up perfectly good relationships because she was a 7 and he was a 6.5 but once he shaved he was more like a 6 and though she gained 5 lbs., that only brought her down to a 6.5 so she was still .5 up and then she met another solid 6.5 so she broke up with her 6 because of some incredibly erroneous belief that the grass was going to be .5 per cent greener with Mr. 6.5.

Robert. Get a grip, hon. It is kind of silly to think along these lines. I mean really. And if it isn't silly to you, if it's dead serious, then you go ahead and measure yourself and find an exactly equal measurement based on God knows what system. Nobody is stopping you.

But you asked what we believe (see your own thread title) and you're getting answers. And some of us believe it's so incredibly off the mark that it's kind of funny. I'm sorry but that's a legitimate answer, IMHO.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 PM

21,188 posts, read 23,292,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Guess you guys married up and down and up and down! That's okay. My husband and I married in and out and in and out. Whatever works!

Yes, I AM being silly.
How dare you - this is a very serious subject! Now I'm going to have to and ask all my friends and relatives to tell me what number my husband and I are so we can figure out which one of us married up!

I still say the only "number" that matters is what your SO thinks of you. And if they love you - it should always be a 10.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
How dare you - this is a very serious subject!
Oh it totally is, I heard Kim Kardashian is already calling her ex only an 8. If only, oh if ONLY she could have hung on to see the real 9 in him...I mean she *thinks* she can find better but just wait until she gets her new 9 in bed and sees that he has that weird thing where the second toe is way longer than the first toe and realizes he's actually only a 7 but now she's stuck with him...

Quote:
I still say the only "number" that matters is what your SO thinks of you. And if they love you - it should always be a 10.
Yes. Yes, yes, yes. This is brilliant. ^

Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Robert. Get a grip, hon. It is kind of silly to think along these lines. I mean really. And if it isn't silly to you, if it's dead serious, then you go ahead and measure yourself and find an exactly equal measurement based on God knows what system. Nobody is stopping you.

But you asked what we believe (see your own thread title) and you're getting answers. And some of us believe it's so incredibly off the mark that it's kind of funny. I'm sorry but that's a legitimate answer, IMHO.
Think movies like "Vacation" and "The Heartbreak Kid." There's more than one movie based on this premise. In fact, there are a lot of them. I'll admit that the rankings are a little rigid, but people spout them all the time. I was bringing up a concept, not how the rating system is devised. In today's era of disposable everything, it's not at all surprising that people want to trade up, if they can.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Think movies like "Vacation" and "The Heartbreak Kid." .
Robert, are you seriously basing your anthropological analysis of male/female rating number systems on "Vacation" and "The Heartbreak Kid"?

There's more than one movie about people who can fly, too.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Robert, are you seriously basing your anthropological analysis of male/female rating number systems on "Vacation" and "The Heartbreak Kid"?

There's more than one movie about people who can fly, too.
I forgot the movie "10." Sorry.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I forgot the movie "10." Sorry.
And I forgot "Plan B From Outer Space," "X-Men" and "The Chronicles of Narnia." ETA: All of which prove (in case this wasn't clear) that tin aliens want to eat us by baiting us with women with big boobs, people can go on fire and not get burned up and lions can talk, respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.