U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-26-2012, 06:13 PM
 
14,743 posts, read 31,186,755 times
Reputation: 8867

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm from rich, snotty, entitled Bergen County, northern NJ
Big deal, my relatives all settled in the Teaneck NJ area upon arriving from Europe and my parents bagged it to move to California after seeing the palm trees and 70 degree weather in November.

But, my post is that you, more so than anyone, has gotten more mileage from this thread than many of the others who have civilly shrugged and said "I suppose so" or "no, that's oversimplification."
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
 
25,735 posts, read 28,212,190 times
Reputation: 24530
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Big deal, my relatives all settled in the Teaneck NJ area upon arriving from Europe and my parents bagged it to move to California after seeing the palm trees and 70 degree weather in November.

But, my post is that you, more so than anyone, has gotten more mileage from this thread than many of the others who have civilly shrugged and said "I suppose so" or "no, that's oversimplification."
I hope nobody from Teaneck takes exception to this, but...I'd bag Teaneck for any hick town, frankly. Teaneck is a city and rather scary. Not comparable to where I was from. Yeah, I'm probably being a snot. But I would in no way have lived in Teaneck, I'd have taken Hackensack first and that's saying something. (p.s. Remember. I did say northern Bergen county. Darn it, I'm trying but all the snoot I pull out still can't seem to compare to L.A...)

As far as mileage, yes, a couple/few of us are giggling over here...it's actually fun to play around with how it would be if we literally did do numbers and percentages. I am enjoying this immensely, there are lots of clever answers on this thread. (Oh, and there are the examples you gave, too. I don't mean to leave those out.)

he's so hott: Actually, I should have had 1.5 points taken off for the accent but luckily, I'm not from a "city" proper and therefore don't have the full-on accent people associate with New Jersey. It does slip out once in a while...my son has corrected me on it...but it's not overwhelming. I hope if I work the rest of it off by crunching granola and hanging out with the stars, I'll get a point percentage back so my husband won't up and leave me.

I think even given the snootiness comparison, my husband is probably still the better number out of the deal since he never had to shovel anything. I'm so depressed, I just KNOW he's gonna leave me.

I wonder if a few more hours of Ab Blaster would bring my numbers up any. (thinking)

Last edited by JerZ; 02-26-2012 at 06:31 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-26-2012, 06:22 PM
 
25,735 posts, read 28,212,190 times
Reputation: 24530
Robert, just for you: River Vale, home of the Baylor Massacre (whatever that was) and Snottsville USA. Pretty, though.

And no. We weren't snots. I love to pick on my snooty RV just like I love to pick on my snooty L.A. -- my husband and I are left wondering how we managed to go from being the poor people in the rich northeast to the poor people in the rich southwest. (It's an exaggeration but you get the point.)

Glad you've been enjoying my posts though, anyway, Robert! If I'm nice to you, do I get a half point? (Trying to figure out whether that would be worth it.)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 PM
 
33,376 posts, read 39,348,613 times
Reputation: 47384
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Robert, seriously? People have broken up and/or cheated while married literally because they thought they married one number down and they found someone of an equal number?

Come on, hon, get serious. If that's true, the person was never committed in the first place and would have found another reason. I do not believe there's a huge national crisis of people breaking up perfectly good relationships because she was a 7 and he was a 6.5 but once he shaved he was more like a 6 and though she gained 5 lbs., that only brought her down to a 6.5 so she was still .5 up and then she met another solid 6.5 so she broke up with her 6 because of some incredibly erroneous belief that the grass was going to be .5 per cent greener with Mr. 6.5.

Robert. Get a grip, hon. It is kind of silly to think along these lines. I mean really. And if it isn't silly to you, if it's dead serious, then you go ahead and measure yourself and find an exactly equal measurement based on God knows what system. Nobody is stopping you.

But you asked what we believe (see your own thread title) and you're getting answers. And some of us believe it's so incredibly off the mark that it's kind of funny. I'm sorry but that's a legitimate answer, IMHO.
Thank you. Hard to believe some of these posts.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-26-2012, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,835 posts, read 83,695,610 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Thank you. Hard to believe some of these posts.
Thankfully, I'd never heard of this system during my formative years, so my little head was never bothered with thoughts about what number I was. As long as other heads were turning, I figured it was OK. However, I generally agree with the premise.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 PM
 
15,009 posts, read 19,772,718 times
Reputation: 12182
People of equal attractiveness are attracted to each other initially but here is a study that says that relationships are better (i.e. happier and longer lasting) between couples where the woman is much better looking than the man.

Why Beautiful Women Marry Less Attractive Men | LiveScience
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-26-2012, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Tucson
42,835 posts, read 83,695,610 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
People of equal attractiveness are attracted to each other initially but here is a study that says that relationships are better (i.e. happier and longer lasting) between couples where the woman is much better looking than the man.

Why Beautiful Women Marry Less Attractive Men | LiveScience
Oh, I do agree with this theory! A few "notches" are even better!;-)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-26-2012, 11:57 PM
 
14,743 posts, read 31,186,755 times
Reputation: 8867
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
People of equal attractiveness are attracted to each other initially but here is a study that says that relationships are better (i.e. happier and longer lasting) between couples where the woman is much better looking than the man.

Why Beautiful Women Marry Less Attractive Men | LiveScience
Thank you for responding in a non-contentious manner and for providing a link. This topic has been an interesting one since watching people get together from late high school, college, and beyond...you know, the "I can see that" or "WTF" reaction...

And the article features findings by The Journal of Family Psychology. Damn, I missed my calling. I could always read through a scholarly article on psychology, but found that getting through a chapter of Business Law was like taking a sleeping pill.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
 
650 posts, read 1,071,379 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh, my God. These are the kinds of conversations I had in middle school. "I want a guy who loves jumping on trampolines because I love jumping on trampolines, BUT he has to have really really dark hair. Except with Sean Cassidy's eyes even though Sean Cassidy doesn't have dark hair. And he also has to have an accent but not an Italian one."

Some of you people wonder why you're single...

Meanwhile, you're picking from what enormous pool of willing women that you can get this specific? (facepalm)

Too bad if that's mean, guys. We're observing here, right?
Weird response, in case the "weeping smiley" didn't clue you in that was a joking repsonse to OP's broad brush generalizations. But carry on with your battles, you'll be at 10k posts in no time!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 PM
 
951 posts, read 1,714,004 times
Reputation: 649
Do you believe most couples are equally matched? 9-9,7-7,5-5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Shallow question, I know.
Not really. This is at the heart of much of what women complain about in relationships. Generally, women who are average or better can have some success attracting the tempory interest of good looking men, so many "couples" are of this type. However, their ability to marry him is often limited and this is the source of much of the material deriding the superficial tastes of men. My experience with highly desirable men is that they had problems finding "the one" too. They just never had any problem getting laid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
But I think most couples end up with an "equal" in attractiveness, sometimes one notch off, but generally not much more than that.
I don't agree but this may depend a lot on where one lives and the ratio of single men to single women.

My experience is that women usually get a better looking husband. Of course, this is based on judgment that may not be objective. Additionally, women tend to decline much faster than men in their 30s and 40s. Good looking guys can also easily remarry several times, accentuating this observable fact.

This does not apply to wealthy men but they tend to not be butt ugly either, no matter how many set them up in a straw man scenario. The fact is, most wealthy people inherit it and their parents were able to marry "well" because of this, ensuring that their offspring are nearly always well above average looking. They usually marry the women who are 9 or 10.

At the other extreme, who is doing any analysis? How do you rate and compare a woman who is 350 pounds who is married to a skinny guy with massive acne scars and no front teeth?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top