U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-25-2012, 01:57 PM
 
14,743 posts, read 31,128,159 times
Reputation: 8867

Advertisements

Shallow question, I know. But I think most couples end up with an "equal" in attractiveness, sometimes one notch off, but generally not much more than that. I am saying MOST couples, not necessarily all. I also think this is healthier as there is less opportunity for "insecurities" in the relationship. A lot of problems do occur, though, when this ratio gets out of whack when one person becomes really vain and boosts their looks and/or one person really lets themselves go. Agreed? I came up with this thread since there are other threads questioning "disparity" and what to do about it.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-25-2012, 02:00 PM
 
650 posts, read 1,069,785 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Shallow question, I know. But I think most couples end up with an "equal" in attractiveness, sometimes one notch off, but generally not much more than that. I am saying MOST couples, not necessarily all. I also think this is healthier as there is less opportunity for "insecurities" in the relationship. A lot of problems do occur, though, when this ratio gets out of whack when one person becomes really vain and boosts their looks and/or one person really lets themselves go. Agreed? I came up with this thread since there are other threads questioning "disparity" and what to do about it.
a lot of times I think dudes myself included, are with hotter chicks, but since I am a hetero male, I would typically be biased in favor of the woman being more attractive
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM
 
14,743 posts, read 31,128,159 times
Reputation: 8867
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
a lot of times I think dudes myself included, are with hotter chicks, but since I am a hetero male, I would typically be biased in favor of the woman being more attractive
Yeah, but do they stick around? You have "kid" in your name, so I assume you are under 30. I guess I was talking about middle-aged men and women who have relationships/marriages well under way. I should have clarified that.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM
 
25,735 posts, read 28,144,623 times
Reputation: 24530
Oh, Robert, for heaven's sake. Think about it. What does "average" mean? Don't numbers alone (much less logic) tell you that most of us are average? And that most of us end up hooking up? With each other? Average and average? (If we're talking specifically looks here.)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
 
650 posts, read 1,069,785 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yeah, but do they stick around? You have "kid" in your name, so I assume you are under 30. I guess I was talking about middle-aged men and women who have relationships/marriages well under way. I should have clarified that.
good point, the hotties are hard to hold onto sometimes lol. but I'm handsome, I just don't make a lot of money...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-25-2012, 03:01 PM
 
Location: The Present
2,017 posts, read 4,014,829 times
Reputation: 1965
not in the states, depending on which part of the country I see things like this

The northeast - Men date way, waaay, down
The West Coast (Socal) - People date up
The mid west - People date down in general here
The South - If they're not dating down they're about even.
The Heartland - You can date up really high here due to the lack of competition.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM
 
19,059 posts, read 23,611,740 times
Reputation: 13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Shallow question, I know. But I think most couples end up with an "equal" in attractiveness, sometimes one notch off, but generally not much more than that. I am saying MOST couples, not necessarily all. I also think this is healthier as there is less opportunity for "insecurities" in the relationship. A lot of problems do occur, though, when this ratio gets out of whack when one person becomes really vain and boosts their looks and/or one person really lets themselves go. Agreed? I came up with this thread since there are other threads questioning "disparity" and what to do about it.
That's what I have noticed as well. Not only do people date others that are similar in looks, but also in education, culture, values, worldview, etc.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-25-2012, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,188 posts, read 23,182,907 times
Reputation: 22227
Well, according to the only people that matter (my husband and me) - we are both 10's. So, in our case - yes.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-25-2012, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,188 posts, read 23,182,907 times
Reputation: 22227
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
not in the states, depending on which part of the country I see things like this

The northeast - Men date way, waaay, down
The West Coast (Socal) - People date up
The mid west - People date down in general here
The South - If they're not dating down they're about even.
The Heartland - You can date up really high here due to the lack of competition.
You are totally right. All my friends are crack wh*res who married former male models who are now CEO's of fortune 500 companies.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-25-2012, 03:24 PM
 
650 posts, read 1,069,785 times
Reputation: 506
[quote=wordlife;23140209]not in the states, depending on which part of the country I see things like this

The northeast - Men date way, waaay, down
The West Coast (Socal) - People date up
The mid west - People date down in general here
The South - If they're not dating down they're about even.
The Heartland - You can date up really high here due to the lack of competition.[/quote]
Is that why George Strait sang a song about the Heartland?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top