Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Hmmm...it is odd...it seems few here have even heard about that much less do it or know those who do, maybe it is a regional thing?? Interesting, as I have talked to many others who have observed the same thing as I quite commonly (so I know I am not just out of my mind on this! )...

OK, JerZ, you stated: "Her husband was always "Robert". Nobody else called him "Robert," LOL." Here is a start, although I admit I am grasping at straws. Do you know why she would call him by his full, proper name when no one else did?

I am not really "angry" about this......just kind of a major pet peeve and I heard it three times this AM and had to do a Friday AM vent!!
I see it, my friends name is Donald and everyone calls him Don except his wife, anouther is named William but everyone calls him Will except his wife. I never thought of it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 02:02 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,288 times
I think I hear ya, OP.
Marlow may be on to something. Sometimes I call my DH by his full name. Only when I'm talking TO him alone, never when I'm talking about him. That would be so phony.

I think these are the same women that will name their babies in much the same way, giving them a very formal names, and basically ruining little league games for the rest of us. "RUN, Jedediah, RUN!!"

Old 09-07-2007, 02:06 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
I agree with one of the above posters... it's a bit of an ownership thing.

She's your wife.. she sees herself differently from the other people that call your name on a regular basis. when she calls you, it's more...personal. it's a females subconscious way of laying claim to her mate.

JMO

Old 09-07-2007, 02:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

OK, JerZ, you stated: "Her husband was always "Robert". Nobody else called him "Robert," LOL." Here is a start, although I admit I am grasping at straws. Do you know why she would call him by his full, proper name when no one else did?
You know, I don't, but if I had to theorize, I'd say it's because my sister kind of...I don't know...she's a wonderful person but she kind of tries to create her own little world and everything is kind of "just so". She comes off as casual but it's almost a studied casual...when you look closely, every T is crossed and every I is dotted, so to speak. The perfect stationery, the perfect furniture, the perfect ensemble for every occasion. I think it's that sense of formality that makes her call her guys by their full names.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyM View Post
"RUN, Jedediah, RUN!!"
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was pregnant with my first son, I was going to name him Nicodemus.

More than one friend bucked up and pulled me aside to gently explain that if I was looking to guarantee that my child would be pulled aside daily in the lunchroom for *ss-beatings, I would go ahead and settle upon Nicodemus; if not, I'd think of something else.

I named him Joe. When I told him this story, he thanked me.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:59 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was pregnant with my first son, I was going to name him Nicodemus.

More than one friend bucked up and pulled me aside to gently explain that if I was looking to guarantee that my child would be pulled aside daily in the lunchroom for *ss-beatings, I would go ahead and settle upon Nicodemus; if not, I'd think of something else.

I named him Joe. When I told him this story, he thanked me.
You have good friends. Joe is a good name.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 PM

232 posts, read 846,225 times
I almost agree with Kitten......

It is not so much an "ownership" thing as it is personal, private, intimate.

She probably views it as part of the closeness of their relationship, as no one else uses the "full" name.

JMO

Old 09-07-2007, 07:29 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,480 times
I read your thread to see what it was about. Ive only known of one case where what you described took place. A friend of mine was known by everyone in town as Dave. Yet his wife always insisted on calling him Mike. But there again, that was pretty mild compared to some of the other "stuff" she did. I dont know, this just dont seem to be very common where I live. One things for sure, if my woman calls me by my full name, I may not know exactly WHAT Ive done, but Im in trouble over something.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:22 PM

104 posts, read 338,985 times
OMG my girlfriend did that with her ex. When they were dating he was Joe and when they married he was Joseph. I think she had a problem with the idea of marrying an "average Joe." She's really into how people perceive her and I think Joseph came off more formal and accomplished for some reason. I can't wait to see what happens with her current boyfriend Rick-if he starts being called Richard I'm going to freak!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
Never heard of this before! Both the hubster and I kept the shortened version of our names ... I have been known on occasion to call him Dick though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships