Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,187,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I know you asked Artsy, not me... but I'm going to comment anyway.

I've been around gay guys a lot in my life... and I don't know if they do this to each other, but I've met a lot of gay guys that were as catty to WOMEN as catty women are to each other.

Not all of course, but yeah, enough for me to notice! The same type of talking behind the back, knocking what she's wearing or her hair, backstabbing bs.

Incidentally the kind of women I get along with long term are more "guy like"... tomboys, no-nonsense, straightforward types. In other words, they have personality traits usually considered masculine. These women don't make you guess as to how they are feeling and if they don't like your company, they don't hang out with you. I have experienced some insane (think Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction, or Rebecca De Mornay in The Hand That Rocks The Cradle) female behavior, and it was something I never saw coming. I am VERY selective now as to who I form friendships with.

Thanks for answering my post...I have known several gay men and they seemed sort of gossip oriented but I did not know if that was common place or urban legend.

I was looking for a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt...something about shallow people talk about people, wise people talk about ideas...I can't remember... my point with that "quote" attempt is this...we all attract folks that are compatible with ourselves so I think women being mean to each other is less relevant than women attracting other mean women to themselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,796,393 times
As the reigning King of The GLBT Planet I feel best able to respond to Mr. Stewart's inquiry. And kudos to you for turning the topic around to focus on me.lol. Anywho, gay men are catty with anyone, period. They seem to enjoy being that way actually....probably because daddy never held them or spent quality time with them......

I'm different though.....I am rarely catty....I am "snarky" at times when I am in a frazzled mood as Mr. Stewart has said....my parents actually held me and cared about me when I was a child....I think that made a difference in my personality....

Good job everyone.....

Quote:

I've been around gay guys a lot in my life... and I don't know if they do this to each other, but I've met a lot of gay guys that were as catty to WOMEN as catty women are to each other.

Not all of course, but yeah, enough for me to notice! The same type of talking behind the back, knocking what she's wearing or her hair, backstabbing bs.

Incidentally the kind of women I get along with long term are more "guy like"... tomboys, no-nonsense, straightforward types. In other words, they have personality traits usually considered masculine. These women don't make you guess as to how they are feeling and if they don't like your company, they don't hang out with you. I have experienced some insane (think Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction, or Rebecca De Mornay in The Hand That Rocks The Cradle) female behavior, and it was something I never saw coming. I am VERY selective now as to who I form friendships with.

Last edited by artsyguy; 11-02-2008 at 09:30 PM..

Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
As the reigning King of The GLBT Planet I feel best able to respond to Mr. Stewart's inquiry. And kudos to you for turning the topic around to focus on me.lol. Anywho, gay men are catty with anyone, period. They seem to enjoy being that way actually....probably because daddy never held them or spent quality time with them......

Good job everyone.....
Thank you for the GLBT clarification, Your Royal Hiney

Old 11-02-2008, 09:21 PM

You are most welcomed, Your Blimpiness....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Thank you for the GLBT clarification, Your Royal Hiney

Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
You are most welcomed, Your Blimpiness....
Bite me, yet again! A size 4 is not blimpiness

Old 11-02-2008, 09:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,860,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I have a rule for myself when Im gossiping or being catty. I never say anything I wouldnt say to their face if they asked me what I was talking about.
But, then again, I also dont believe in "tact" in very many situations. To me, there's no use in making the truth fluffy and comfortable. It is what it is. Tact usually just gets the message mixed up.
Well I'm fairly direct. I rarely, if ever, say things behind someone's back that I wouldn't say to their face and usually it would fall into the category of not wishing to be mean spirited or hurtful. I have no desire for character assignation and I'm not about the nasty either in private or in person.

I do find that I would choose my words carefully if I did have something that needed to be discussed with someone if it was bothering me but I always take into consideration that how I view the situation and the person's behaviour may not be how things are at all.
It seems to me there's really no point saying to someone, "You are this way or you are that way and it's wrong, you need to change it."
It would go more along the lines of "when you do this, I feel.. it impacts me...what can we do to resolve it?"

Old 11-02-2008, 10:54 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,004,231 times
Quote:

Hahaha! Sounds like we'd get along fine.
Quote:
Colddiamond,

I have a friend that gave up saying everything negative for Lent one year this meant EVERYTHING...traffic, cold coffee, other people. blah, blah, blah...anyway, she found it increasingly harder to do so she wore a rubber bracelet type thing (Live Strong type thing) and everytime she said anything ugly about someone she would change the wrist it was on....eventually the rash on her wrists went away after Lent...
LMAO whoo...Couldnt do that..Ive heard stories about what people give up for Lent, and (no offense meant) it makes me glad Im not Catholic.
I had a friend that loved showers, and he actually tried to give up showering fr Lent. No lie! It lasted 2 weeks !
Quote:
Tact is being honest and direct but respectful of the other person. Also I've found that people's tone and facial expression can make the so-called "truth" sound much worse than it really is.........every heard making a mountain out of a mole hill........yep.....women do that a lot...and guys too....it is annoying.
Ive always heard that its basically making the truth more palatible. Down here its called ' sugar coating'. To me, its always been that you tell somebody the truth, but you dont get down to the nitty gritty because of the "nice" language being used.

Example: A lady walks up to a friend and is wearing an absolutely hideous hat.
Friend: Ms Jane, that sure is an interesting hat.Its the exact same pretty green as that pea soup I fixed last night.

Interesting means ugly/something's wrong with it, and the person is comparing the color to pea soup, and that they DONT think its pretty.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 PM

Cold, We're Episcopalians and we celebrate Lent but we are not nearly as serious as real Catholics...we're just phonies!

Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 PM

ya right Catholic Priests don't get a bad reputation for nothing ...eeeeek

Quote:
Cold, We're Episcopalians and we celebrate Lent but we are not nearly as serious as real Catholics...we're just phonies!

Old 11-02-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
ya right Catholic Priests don't get a bad reputation for nothing ...eeeeek
No doubt about it, they need to hire a good PR firm to shake the bad press they have gotten lately..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships