Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,808,435 times

Advertisements

Question for the men...

If you've started dating someone who made a low salary - not enough to afford to go out etc. and you made significantly more (say 2-3x) which scenario would you adopt?

#1:

Continue going to the same restaurants/hangouts, doing the same activities with the same frequency, taking her along for the same vacations you used to take... in essence not change a thing about your lifestyle KNOWING that your expenses are now going to effectively DOUBLE.

#2:

Downsize everything, go to cheaper restaurants, go less frequently, search for deals... go for cheaper vacations (preferably with deals), such that your budget roughly stays the same - THIS would be compromise in lifestyle to you.

#3:
Some combination of #1 and #2, especially go vacationing to more expensive places by yourself but go to cheaper places with her or expect her to save up and contribute what she can towards the vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
I guess this is important stuff to ponder when all you want to do is just date women.

But once you actually find one you really want to spend your life with this stuff won't matter a whit.

Just so you know.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 AM

391 posts, read 688,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Question for the men...

If you've started dating someone who made a low salary - not enough to afford to go out etc. and you made significantly more (say 2-3x) which scenario would you adopt?
If they are more interested in my finances than me I move on.

If they are interested in me then we move forward with whatever
arrangement she is comfortable with at the time.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:45 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,019,468 times
#3 is the rational answer

#2 is the most practical

Personally, I'd probably go with #3

Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,222,080 times
Since when does a woman pay her own way for this stuff anyways?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,987,767 times
Quote:
Question for the men...

#1:

Continue going to the same restaurants/hangouts, doing the same activities with the same frequency, taking her along for the same vacations you used to take... in essence not change a thing about your lifestyle KNOWING that your expenses are now going to effectively DOUBLE.

#2:

Downsize everything, go to cheaper restaurants, go less frequently, search for deals... go for cheaper vacations (preferably with deals), such that your budget roughly stays the same - THIS would be compromise in lifestyle to you.

#3:
Some combination of #1 and #2, especially go vacationing to more expensive places by yourself but go to cheaper places with her or expect her to save up and contribute what she can towards the vacation.
It will all depend on her hotness and how great the sex is. Those are important variables and will effect how one answers your question.

Also, Lovesmountains is absolutely dead on right in her post that those things would not matter if its a serious, committed relationship.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,808,435 times
BUT, here is a test - what if the woman is less than thrilled about going to a fast food place (say Subway) to get a $5 sandwich for lunch implying that it is beneath her to eat at a place like Subway, does this signify high maintenance behavior? Remember, this is not during the initial dating process BUT after 8-9 dates and after two months of dating....

Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM

773 posts, read 1,261,103 times
Quote:
BUT, here is a test - what if the woman is less than thrilled about going to a fast food place (say Subway) to get a $5 sandwich for lunch implying that it is beneath her to eat at a place like Subway, does this signify high maintenance behavior? Remember, this is not during the initial dating process BUT after 8-9 dates and after two months of dating....
If her finances are dodgy or on the skids, then I'd definitely say YES. Just the ability to eat out anywhere is a privilege, not a given right. (I know a lot of women like that. Not a pot to pee in, but expect to be taken to top tier places. What?)

There's quite a disparity between my income and S.O.'s income. I do well, but I'm never going to make his salary. But he knows this and works with me on it. It's not like I can't pay for anything at all. We're a #2 couple for the most part, but whenever he wants to go someplace that I can't fit into my budget, we revert to #1.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 PM

11,386 posts, read 9,304,429 times
Quote:
Question for the men...

#1:

#2:

#3:

The math doesn't add up. The only way expenses double is if the partner is bringing in no money at all.

#1 is the logical answer.

How many can realistically afford to take multiple vacations during a year? I picture the scenero above as someone earning in excess of 100K per year. Only a small percentage of Americans earn that.

The "taking her along on the same vacations you used to take." I would need to know more. An extra plane ticket is not going to break someone's bank account that is earning a good salary. That is nothing more than being flat out cheap. If you take the trip alone you pay for the hotel anyway, right? So what's a lousy plane ticket? I'll bet in most cases this wouldn't even be noticed. And if you like to go on a cruise you pay double anyway unless you want a same sex roommate.

Adding - I guess if one is looking to share expenses they should move on. But I couldn't relate to this being an issue because a match is not easy to find.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,198,855 times
I think each couple works this out for themselves. If you really love someone - you want to spend your lives TOGETHER - not with one person living the high life and one person living hand to mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships