Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:03 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,597,629 times

Advertisements

I think we might of touched on this topic once before at some point. We talked about money & such but let me see if I can add a new twist to this.

Let's say you met someone at a party or though a friend & you felt there was a very strong connection towards them. You go out with them & things start to get a bit serious at this point you find out they they make MUCH less then you do but they love their job & see no point in wanting to do anything else.. Would you keep seeing them? Would their lack of looking for a better paying job set you off?
What about dating a blue collar worker? Could a blue collar worker & an office worker get along as a couple? I tend to run into a lot of couples whose jobs tend to be around the same pay grade or have similar careers. Would you be happy dating someone who made 25K a year & you make say 65K or more? would what they did for a living embrass you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 03:50 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,818,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Let's say you met someone at a party or though a friend & you felt there was a very strong connection towards them. You go out with them & things start to get a bit serious at this point you find out they they make MUCH less then you do but they love their job & see no point in wanting to do anything else.. Would you keep seeing them? Would their lack of looking for a better paying job set you off?
In my case, yes, I would. As long as they were happy in their life and intelligent and interesting enough to keep me in the conversation. I would not date someone who was narrow minded or presented as uneducated.

Quote:
What about dating a blue collar worker? Could a blue collar worker & an office worker get along as a couple? I tend to run into a lot of couples whose jobs tend to be around the same pay grade or have similar careers. Would you be happy dating someone who made 25K a year & you make say 65K or more? would what they did for a living embrass you?
Maybe this has to do with where you live. Where i come from, you see a lot of blue collar-white collar relationships. My best friend runs an investment banking compliance consulting firm and has 2 MBAs. Her BF works at Trader Joes. Another friend just retired early as a 6-figure HR Vice President. Her hubs is a lifelong deep sea fisherman.

Over the past few years I have dated an HVAC tech, a house painter, a forklift driver, a network cabling guy, and a guy who did something with cellphone signal towers. All were educated, funny, interesting and made around 25% of what I make.

The house painter was my favourite, Man I miss that guy, but he lived too far away.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 AM

11,413 posts, read 9,339,070 times
I wouldn't care and I know I'm in the minority.

I say that because this is a similar and popular question on a dating site I used to be on. Most of the women said how much a guy earns is important. Out of those who answered this question I would guess about 20% said it didn't matter.

"Embarrass me?" Please! But I'm sure many would be. This is about my happiness for me in the only life I have. In that context money is overrated. I'd make due with the money difference, no big deal.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,198,997 times
I don't care what a guy does for a living or what his income is. If I'm interested in him, it's not for the wallet. It's for him.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:01 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,181,187 times
if i were making good money (enough to support a family), he could stay home and take care of the errands and kid(s). it would only really be an issue if he were lazy or if i wasn't making enough myself

Old 03-09-2012, 07:05 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,692,442 times
I have a professional job (at least that's what they keep telling me -- ha ha), and I have always dated the blue collar guys. They are great! The union ones make more money then me (not that that's important, I support myself), they are guys that can fix anything and everything, are not hung up on their looks, clothing, latest fashions, are usually in great shape due to their labor, AND they treat me great! Love the blue collar guys!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,795,569 times
A blue collar gentleman is worth their weight in gold.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 AM

3,958 posts, read 6,885,946 times
Way too low, is bad IMO. Like 25K is too low. I would prefer somebody who makes at least like 35K. But I live in Chicago and its hard to find anyone lower than that. Being a guy though, it really doesn't matter in the long run, only in short term. My reasoning behind it is that I want a girl who can be fairly independent, yet have money to spend on vacations with me. I especially would not be able to handle being the bread winner early on in a relationship. A girl who can't afford a dinner or vacation is not my type.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 AM

607 posts, read 1,219,600 times
Wouldn't bother me. I'd date someone with a professional job or a skilled tradesman. I don't' think I'd date someone who was a cashier and happy with that...that would annoy me. If I found a guy who I really liked and he made less than me, I wouldn't mind as long as he wasn't struggling to support himself...I couldn't handle that. I would love to be with someone who's handy though, sometimes I think it would be nice to buy a fixer upper and remodel it!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,716,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It sounds like what this boils down to is income/salary. Would someone who makes less money than me embarrass me? Not at all... especially if he works full-time, is intelligent and we share the same relationship values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships