Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I see that over and over on dating profiles. My favorite one is: "I may not reply back, not because I don't want to but because I don't have time".

Why are you on a dating website? Or are some people just so full of themselves?
Being busy is one reason that many people use online dating in the first place. That said, I wouldn't put such a statement as you quoted above, in my profile. That sounds a little off-putting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Being busy is one reason that many people use online dating in the first place. That said, I wouldn't put such a statement as you quoted above, in my profile. That sounds a little off-putting.
Yes, that's what it is. As adults, we are all busy at some point. That's a given but it sounds weird when you're on a dating site, hopefully looking for a date/relationship and you say: "I'm too busy".

Old 03-09-2012, 08:48 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
Some people buy into an idea that they can have everything. They suddenly realize they can't when they provide this answer. This leaves them alone years later, with unmeasurable success from the outsider's standpoint, but miserable because they have not found 'the one.' You can't have everything you want. Conversely, if you give a talented busy person a job, they will always find the time to do it. Truly busy, successful persons are great at time management, and don't let things pass them by.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Another +1.

"I'm too busy to participate in what I've signed-up, and probably paid for...."

I would find that rude in any situation.

Do it when you have time.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 PM

227 posts, read 420,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I had a profile, I specifically noted in there that I should only be contacted if they were actually interested in meeting up at some point in the future, since I had also done the whole endless-streams-of-emails for no reason. When I put that up, there was actually about a 25% drop in the number of emails I received
I swear, every since I put in my profile that I wasn't interested in booty calls, barely anyone messaged me either..lol..I guess I scared them away..Oh well.

I also once had a guy email me acting very interested. I suggested we meet up or something he stopped responding. Yet, I noticed he logged in during the time he wasn't responding. Then I sent him an email to say forget about it. He responded he was very busy with school and didn't have time for dating. Like whatever.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNP24 View Post
I swear, every since I put in my profile that I wasn't interested in booty calls, barely anyone messaged me either..lol..I guess I scared them away..Oh well.

I also once had a guy email me acting very interested. I suggested we meet up or something he stopped responding. Yet, I noticed he logged in during the time he wasn't responding. Then I sent him an email to say forget about it. He responded he was very busy with school and didn't have time for dating. Like whatever.
Sometimes I get the creepy feeling that a lot of those profiles aren't real and that's why some of them don't want to meet.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:51 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
Quote:
Bingo Chessie.
When I was on a dating site I did not have this on my profile but I am going to go out on a limb and state everyone is different? And perhaps they had this issue arise before so decided to update their profile?

Okay I am trying to find a way to state this diplomatically so noone gets offended ...
Most adults have a career and often times children therefore actually going out physically and wasting precious time in icky bars and clubs they as Chessie stated utilize dating sites, I am having a hard time finding out what the issue is?
Dating sites open up options of sifting through pictures and profiles to see if someone sparks interest but it does not mean that this person LIVES on the dating website, this to me would raise a RED FLAG.
Having an account on a dating website may mean one is actively looking to meet someone but may be not be actively on the site 7 times a day for several hours total everyday, this is just creepy.
BUSY means:
I work, I have a career
I have children that I need to shuttle around for games, hw and ect
'Means that I keep active and may go to the gym, go to eat with my friends
People have jobs and lives.
As far as dating goes? Yes there is time for this or people would not be on a dating site it just means that we are not living on the site nor are we desperate enough to fall onto the first lap that emails us...
Philosophy?
If the man I m chatting with is a gentleman, not pushy, seems genuinely interested in meeting up with me? The I will know because he will NOT be the one that states:
"Can we text" after the first message..this seems desperate.
The excuses "I am not on here all the time" "I do not always check my emails, I do not have time I work too much" Well if this is the case then you should not be texting either.
The guy after 2 messages that states "I think we should meet" Again this sounds desperate to me
I feel that messaging or emailing for a week or two is totally normal and I am not sure what the rush is about.
After all there should be no expectations, you are just getting to know someone.
But again this is my personal opinion and a prime example of how different people are and this type of thing should never be generalized

Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Sometimes I get the creepy feeling that a lot of those profiles aren't real and that's why some of them don't want to meet.
Yup.

I don't understand how it is that some dudes can be so clueless to think that the profile they just read of a buxom blonde girl who has pics of herself partying and wearing skimpy clothes but who says she's quiet and looking for a nerdy guy who doesn't go out and do much for a booty call could possibly be real.

I have been messaged by a few girls who did just say point-blank that they thought I seemed cool and was attractive, and told me that they didn't want anything serious but, you know, we could get coffee sometime, who were actually real girls in the area whom I met up with.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Even though my experiences were not good I do not think this is true.

I read hundreds of profiles and most were real. I deleted my profile and gave up becasue I got sick of the games and being misled. Online dating does not replace looking into someones eyes and actually talking to that person.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:28 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I had a profile, I specifically noted in there that I should only be contacted if they were actually interested in meeting up at some point in the future, since I had also done the whole endless-streams-of-emails for no reason. When I put that up, there was actually about a 25% drop in the number of emails I received
That's good, and I'm not surprised at the drop. I have seen that before and I probably should have done the same. But I rarely got contacted before me making the first move, except toward the very end so it didn't matter anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships