Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:11 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,803,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
hahaha.........I never dreamed of my wedding or getting married but I did it anyway...........THREE TIMES...
So if I stop dreaming about it and act like I don't care, it'll show naturally when I least expected it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 PM

26,675 posts, read 41,483,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterclinger View Post
I thought one became 'wife material' when a man finds that he cannot live without you .... I didn't know there was a checklist.
That is the only barometer I will go on.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 PM

4,404 posts, read 9,080,736 times
Wife material- Loves REM, hangs out in dive bars, does not watch football, watches baseball, is able to have intellectual discussions on Ole Anderson's booking style for Georgia Championship Wrestling in the early 80's.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,413,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
All right, I'm entitled to my opinion, so let the flame war begin!

- she's attractive in a feminine way (Jamie Lee Curtis cuts it in the body department, but not in the face department)
- she's not a feminist and she's not "earthy," per my definition
- she's educated, and very interested in knowing more about the world (likes to travel)
- she's got similar religious and political viewpoints (in the "ball park")
- she's childless, and prefers dogs/cats to kids
- she's got a great sense of humor, even a slightly off-color one, or if not, laughs at a dirty joke
- she's willing to go to work
Well, this is pretty tame. What's to flame for?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM

354 posts, read 615,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
I've heard that phrase on different sites. What exactly is it that they're looking for. Do I possess some qualities or not?

Things I do/don't do and qualities I might have or don't have
1) I don't really have too many characteristics of a house-wife (I'm useless when it comes to recipes or decorating/organizing the house but might hire a maid in the future, plus I can't use detergent nor do any heavy cleaning due to my allergies)
2) Have no interest in ever having kids and will be turning 25 next month.. it's ok for me as I'm slowly waiting for all the eggs to die
3) I'm focusing on finishing Turism & Travel management major (I'm paying for my courses)
4) I have plans on traveling to historical places, not staying home all day
5) But even though I'm different and like stated will never bear a child, I want to get married one day (I just want a husband, not add someone else in the picture)
6) I hardly ever dye my nails nor put make-up on (sometimes I wear the same clothes)
7) I'm sort of a bookish person and sometimes lack a sense of humor
8) Regarding my past: only an ex and that's about it but I think it's because I need to go out often

Or will many men still look for the woman with some household characteristics as well as one with nurturing urges towards kids?

Thing is I'm very different and it's probably gonna take me a while to find him. It's like they still want a woman that's kinda traditional in some roles. I don't fit them. I think that's why my ex bf never saw me as potential wife and so strung me along.

People in my family are getting married one by one and sometimes it makes me kinda upset that I still haven't found him.... the one that will accept me like this.

The description of yourself pretty much sums up my perfect woman. Except maybe for lacking a sense of humor. If you had mentioned that you loved being outdoors and on the water, I would have asked you to marry me right now!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:16 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,225,136 times
Quote:

2) Have no interest in ever having kids and will be turning 25 next month.. it's ok for me as I'm slowly waiting for all the eggs to die

5) But even though I'm different and like stated will never bear a child, I want to get married one day (I just want a husband, not add someone else in the picture)
Could it be a geographic and cultural thing?

I know a woman who has been married for about 20 years and, to this day, she said there is no way she wanted kids. She is emphatic about this. Her husband felt the same way. They are both very independent, and get along fine. But they enjoy each other's love and companionship, without having kids in the picture.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 PM

85 posts, read 138,077 times
In my experience it's a timing thing. When men are ready to get married they will often marry whoever is there at the moment that seems like a good idea. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't, but a man could have the greatest woman in the world and if he's not ready he's not ready. This is why some men will date a great woman for years, not marry her, and when it finally ends he'll marry the first woman he meets. Timing is a big chunk of life.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,803,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim46741974 View Post
In my experience it's a timing thing. When men are ready to get married they will often marry whoever is there at the moment that seems like a good idea. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't, but a man could have the greatest woman in the world and if he's not ready he's not ready. This is why some men will date a great woman for years, not marry her, and when it finally ends he'll marry the first woman he meets. Timing is a big chunk of life.
Yeah they take a while to mature don't they??
The only exception is a male co-worker who got married last year at the age of only 23. He would tell us how he always wanted to get married.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,005,433 times
What you need is someone at least 10 years and more realistically 15-20 years older than you are. You still have 2-3 more years to be considered young by someone old enough, and for some, your relative youth may be sufficient. I was similarly mediocre, and this strategy enabled me to get married to someone with whom I share many interests and am very compatible.

One thing you should focus on is how you want to be treated and what sort of behavior might be a deal-breaker for you. It is important to know what your limits are in a relationship. Also, you really need to be taking steps toward being self-sufficient and not just following your dreams. Whether you marry or not, you will need to take care of yourself financially.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,378,499 times
Quote:
I've heard that phrase on different sites. What exactly is it that they're looking for. Do I possess some qualities or not?

Things I do/don't do and qualities I might have or don't have
1) I don't really have too many characteristics of a house-wife (I'm useless when it comes to recipes or decorating/organizing the house but might hire a maid in the future, plus I can't use detergent nor do any heavy cleaning due to my allergies)
3) I'm focusing on finishing Turism & Travel management major (I'm paying for my courses)
4) I have plans on traveling to historical places, not staying home all day
6) I hardly ever dye my nails nor put make-up on (sometimes I wear the same clothes)
7) I'm sort of a bookish person and sometimes lack a sense of humor
8) Regarding my past: only an ex and that's about it but I think it's because I need to go out often

Or will many men still look for the woman with some household characteristics as well as one with nurturing urges towards kids?

Thing is I'm very different and it's probably gonna take me a while to find him. It's like they still want a woman that's kinda traditional in some roles. I don't fit them. I think that's why my ex bf never saw me as potential wife and so strung me along.

People in my family are getting married one by one and sometimes it makes me kinda upset that I still haven't found him.... the one that will accept me like this.
Yes you are marriage material but really only for your male counterpart, a man who doesn't want a traditional wife and doesn't mind paying a maid to do the housework, a man who would like to travel and never have a family.

You'll marry if you meet your counterpart. It doesn't seem as though it would be all that difficult because many men also never want to be fathers, and would enjoy traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships