Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Wow.
So, what will you be doing tonight?

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Have you tried telling your other children, not the toddler of course, to chip in and take care of some house chores? Maybe it is cultural differences but my parents would help out with my homework IF I didn't understand something and I asked them. Other than that, I took care of my homework and school projects and also house chores. Even when I got my very first part time job, I would take care of buying the groceries for my family or some other basic bills. When I visit the USA I am surprised to see how parents pay for their children's tuition, their car, their phone bill, wedding, etc.

the toddler needs to be pulling his/her own weight as well. no reason for them to be luxuriating on a daily basis either.

770 posts, read 1,177,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
My mother didn't need to work (father made well over 100k alone) but she chose to work because she loved being a nurse.

I don't want to have children of my own but if I did I would never throw away 6 years of college and a job I love just to stay at home.
My situation exactly. My mom didn't have to work because my dad made a lot of money (she was also a nurse), but she did because she didn't want to stay home.

I don't have or want children but I see staying at home a waste of an education. I'm not busting my ass and spending thousands for a master's degree just to throw it all away and stay home.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:35 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I sorry, what exactly constitutes acting like a man and how is it something that needs to be taught by a father?
What I'm thinking of is the men-children with an overly doting mother and a father who is either completely absent or too absorbed in his work/ hobbies. I'll never forget when my sister invited us for dinner and her live-in boyfriend, at the time, said "I don't want that" in a babyish voice. His own father said he should've been home to lay down the law. My boys were seven and eight and they knew better. They knew I didn't tolerate that garbage. One of boys complained because I never washed his favorite shirt. One time i said "You know when I do laundry. If you want to complain, I will wake up you when I get home and you will get all of your laundry together." I know many mothers who would do an extra load. I know one who was until 2am because her 17 year old wouldn't get his clothes. I don't play games like that, sorry. My son didn't complain after that. I established early, I mean business. My kids knew if they gave their mother or anyone else issues, they answered to me.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:35 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
OK ladies get real for a minute. In a perfect world if you had the choice to either work outside the home or be home to care for the needs of your family which would you choose? Today I noticed a lady dropping her daughter off at daycare and I refuse to believe if given the choice she would be dropping her daughter off rather than caring for her herself.
In an ideal world, I'd like to stay home for 6 months to one year. But since I need to be productive doing non-household things, I'd also like either a freelance, work-from home gig or some sort of part-time away from the house gig.

Truthfully, though I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of being financially dependent on anyone. I'm very used to be in control financially and it makes me very uncomfortable to give that up. Also, since I've been unemployed before, the idea of having another gap and leaving the market to enter into later also worries me as it was a beast to get back into and my career suffered a lot.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
So, what will you be doing tonight?
None of that!

The house is clean so working out, applying for jobs, writing, playing some Words with Friends, reading a new library book, relaxing.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
What I'm thinking of is the men-children with an overly doting mother and a father who is either completely absent or too absorbed in his work/ hobbies. I'll never forget when my sister invited us for dinner and her live-in boyfriend, at the time, said "I don't want that" in a babyish voice. His own father said he should've been home to lay down the law. My boys were seven and eight and they knew better. They knew I didn't tolerate that garbage. One of boys complained because I never washed his favorite shirt. One time i said "You know when I do laundry. If you want to complain, I will wake up you when I get home and you will get all of your laundry together." I know many mothers who would do an extra load. I know one who was until 2am because her 17 year old wouldn't get his clothes. I don't play games like that, sorry. My son didn't complain after that. I established early, I mean business. My kids knew if they gave their mother or anyone else issues, they answered to me.
Sounds like your just describing spoiled kids and bad parenting.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
I am more for equal rights than any other guy out there. In every relationship I have been in so far, I have cooked/cleaned/did laundry at least half of the time (if not more). This isn't 1950 any more and I absolutely want to be with a wife who is happy. I would never want my wife to stay home because that is what she is 'supposed' to do. If she is happy working a full time job, I would rather work out a schedule where we can make it work (we each work from home one day/week plus day care/etc.)

Given all of that, if I were 100% honest, I do get an ego boost from being the 'breadwinner' in the relationship. Is the rush I get from that ego boost something that is important enough to be a 'dealbreaker'? Not at all.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
OK ladies get real for a minute. In a perfect world if you had the choice to either work outside the home or be home to care for the needs of your family which would you choose? Today I noticed a lady dropping her daughter off at daycare and I refuse to believe if given the choice she would be dropping her daughter off rather than caring for her herself.
Quote:
Lets ask it this way too.

OK gentlemen get real for a minute. In a perfect world if you had the choice to either work outside the home or be home to care for the needs of your family which would you choose? Today I noticed a gentleman dropping his daughter off at daycare and I refuse to believe if given the choice he would be dropping her daughter off rather than caring for her himself.
Exactly. This situation could be applied to men too. If you wife made more than you, would YOU stay home with the children?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
None of that!

The house is clean so working out, applying for jobs, writing, playing some Words with Friends, reading a new library book, relaxing.
LOL. Good for you, that sounds nice. My workout will be up the stairs, down the stairs, up the stairs, down the stairs out to the barn, over to the hen house, down to the dog pen. Up the stairs, down the stairs...........But all the mens are gone, so happy day. I might do it naked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships