Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,331,428 times

Advertisements

All men are "this way!" All women are "that way!" It seems weird to see the old "battle of the sexes" being played out today...It reminds me of politics where liberals and conservatives "battle it out" for "control." What happened to "creating bridges" and searching for some "middle" and "common ground?"...We've all been "programmed" to be certain ways based on our gender and maybe we have somewhat different genes and "wiring" but this doesn't mean that we can't work to understand each other and find some "common ground."...It's impossible to have decent relationships if we get addicted to "battles" and tossing around blame towards the opposite sex. How do you feel about it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,574,766 times
I don't think much of it. I find these people are looking to blame someone else for their failures/poor choices.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM

It's rough when someone you live with secretly views you as "the enemy" at times versus considering you a friend...Friends run into differences at times...Problems have to be discussed and resolved...But all of the stereotyping makes it hard to "be friends" and "stay friends" and find "common ground" when problems arise.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,301,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
...It's impossible to have decent relationships if we get addicted to "battles" and tossing around blame towards the opposite sex. How do you feel about it? Thanks.
I agree. I think that people who have a tendency to 'blanket blame' entire groups (based on gender, race, nationality, length of nose hair, etc) have reduced chances at a successful relationships with anyone.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,903,229 times
Quote:
All men are "this way!" All women are "that way!" It seems weird to see the old "battle of the sexes" being played out today...It reminds me of politics where liberals and conservatives "battle it out" for "control." What happened to "creating bridges" and searching for some "middle" and "common ground?"...We've all been "programmed" to be certain ways based on our gender and maybe we have somewhat different genes and "wiring" but this doesn't mean that we can't work to understand each other and find some "common ground."...It's impossible to have decent relationships if we get addicted to "battles" and tossing around blame towards the opposite sex. How do you feel about it? Thanks.
It's just dumb.

I've heard tons of misogynists blame "feminism" for their personal failures, while millions of other men seem to get along fine under the same all-oppressive cultural, political and social institutions that have apparently crippled menfolk. They allege that women are incapable of doing anything on their own or correctly, and are driven by emotion rather than thought - which I find difficult to rectify with the fact that more women than men are getting degrees these days.

At the same time, I'd heard an equal number of misandrists blame "patriarchy" for their personal failures, while millions of other women seem to get along fine under the same all-oppressive cultural, political and social institutions that have apparently crippled womanfolk. They allege that men are inherently stupider, have less of a capacity for love or empathy, are more ignorant, and generally less virtuous than women, and then in the same sentence blame them for all societal ills - after having just alleged that they're evidently truly incapable of anything substantive.

Bashing a gender is no better than bashing a race or any other demographic group as a whole. It's patently stupid.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,030,473 times
Overrated.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:39 AM

If I agree to spend my life with someone I want to "stay friends" with this person no matter what...I want to get to know "all sides" to who he is and I hope that he will feel the same way about me too even though we happen to be different genders.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,775,767 times
My take:

"Agree to disagree, and without being disagreeable."
"Different strokes, for different folks."

Quote:

Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,030,473 times
It's the 21st century and I assume we are all living in very free, modern societies (or at least the majority of those who post here, unless you're in a "non-western" country). Not the Victorian or medieval times anymore.

We (should be treating) people as individuals on the own merits. Everybody's situation is different.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 AM

Look at how we are "programmed" from birth...A lot of boys are warned "not to cry." They are called "sissies" or "girls" if they express any emotions...A lot of girls are handed "Barbie Dolls" and other type of dolls and "play kitchens" etc. even today...We're all put into limiting and restrictive "molds" and "boxes."...No wonder we have trouble understanding each other. Boy babies are all decked out in blue with football patterns and race cars on their blankets....Girls are dressed in pink with pictures of "cuddly bears" and butterflies on their blankets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships