Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,051,810 times

Advertisements

My ex's grandmother and her husband have been married over 50 years. She died in her sleep the very day she finalized his funeral arrangements and will. He died two weeks ago.

I don't envy things like lavish lifestyles....social statuses...etc. I envy things like this. This is how I'd like to see my relationship with the man I love end. Assuming I'd outlive him, he wants me to be strong and be here to keep his memory alive. But I think this (couples who follow each other so closely in death) says so much more than the greatest eulogy ever could possibly say. I can't even feel sad for their passing.

They obviously did something right in their relationship. We should learn from the old ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,017,686 times
I hear you.

She died of a broken heart. Such a nice thing. Plus she died in her sleep. The best way to go in my opinion.

I think this is possible but not in my life. I like the way you think though.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:30 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,244,855 times
Sweet story, and yes, we can learn from the older generations, if we would stay still long enough to listen.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,051,810 times
Yep, there's no situation in life I can think of I envy more--except living happily together.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,289,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
My ex's grandmother and her husband have been married over 50 years. She died in her sleep the very day she finalized his funeral arrangements and will. He died two weeks ago.

I don't envy things like lavish lifestyles....social statuses...etc. I envy things like this. This is how I'd like to see my relationship with the man I love end. Assuming I'd outlive him, he wants me to be strong and be here to keep his memory alive. But I think this (couples who follow each other so closely in death) says so much more than the greatest eulogy ever could possibly say. I can't even feel sad for their passing.

They obviously did something right in their relationship. We should learn from the old ones.
Whyte, I'm sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you mean. My in-laws, who were married over 40 years at the time, passed away 1 week apart. My MIL first, followed by FIL one week later. I truly believe he died of a broken heart. They were both in the hospital (thanks to my BIL, we'll never know exactly why but that's a whole other topic). After my MIL's funeral, my FIL seemed to have been getting better. He was off the respirator and able to sit up on his own in a chair. Two days later it all changed. I believe that they were truly meant to be together every day. I understand why you can't feel sad. I was sad in losing both of them because they were wonderful people but relieved that neither had to be without the other.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,017,686 times
Quote:
Yep, there's no situation in life I can think of I envy more--except living happily together.
I think an older couple in their 70's walking together and the guy grabs her butt surprisingly. There still something there. lol!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,356,556 times
Quote:
I've come to terms with the idea that such an animal as a happy relationship doesn't exist in my book and I don't fret over it. Some people tolerate each other better than others - that's about it. I haven't seen a single relationship I can say I'd like to have (including observations of couples who claim to be happy).

Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 AM

19,008 posts, read 29,814,934 times
I don't understand how it's possible for two disjoint physiological, biological, zoological entities to communicate to each other across different realms of state.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:48 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,629,039 times
This exact thing happened to my aunt and uncle, although both died at a very young age. My uncle had some issues with booze but was such a great guy at heart. When my aunt passed away from cancer, he wouldnt come to terms with it, but instead would pretend she was still around, would often open the outside door and talk to her as if she was waiting to come in. Being a single guy in my thirties and seeing the high divorce rates and people running for the hills at a first sign of trouble, it gives me zero confidence that I could find someone and be with them for life. It just rarely happens in this western civilization, because we have grown selfish and greedy. As such, I am perfectly content being single.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,178,714 times
Quote:

Yea. My sister has said that when my mother goes, my father won't last much after even though he's extraordinarily healthy for his age.

It's kind of like part of you heart is taken from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships