Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 05:52 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I agree.

See, in the Western world, there is little to no comradery between males (apposed to men in the middle east) so men put the unnecessary burden on women to be their emotional support.

It's simply not healthy because:

1. If your woman leaves you, you have not only lost your lover, but you have also lost you're emotional support.

2. It's not a good idea to confide in a woman unless it's your mom. Women want strong men that they can lean on, a woman will simply start loosing respect for a man who always leans on her. It's just the way it is.
I think that it's about time we in the west redefined gender roles and did away with stereotypes. There are a lot of unhappy and lonely people out there because of them. I would like to see gender roles done away with almost completely. They really aren't necessary.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
My theory...

Men don't cope as well "alone" as women. Many men marry and their wife becomes their sole source of emotional support. Male friendships are generally activity based, which is fine when times are good, but when it turns sour, distractions don't work and many men find themselves isolated and alone. Women are better at not putting all their emotional need eggs in one basket, IMO.

no. a lot of them put all their emotions into one basket, with one man and get devastated when it turns sour. women just know how to suck it up and keep it moving, especially if they have children they often have no choice.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:36 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
women just know how to suck it up and keep it moving, especially if they have children they often have no choice.
I would say that women have a better support network with other women that helps them get though the hard times. Women just do a better job of sticking together and looking out for each other.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Troll......

Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Sorry Ruth, I don't buy it, because in the Western world, the burden of starting a romantic relationship has been imposed on the male.

I have no idea why you would think a woman being approached by multiple men was a "rare" situation. I had GF's before, and platonic female friends, and I can assure you they would tell me all the time how so many men would hit on them whether it be at the store, the night club, or in class.

In fact, one woman admitted to me that she goes to the night clubs to be hit on men just because it feels good and it boost her self esteem.
Not sure how being hit on at a bar or nightclub means that you are attractive or wanted.
I get hit on at nightclubs more than anywhere else.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Not sure how being hit on at a bar or nightclub means that you are attractive or wanted.
I get hit on at nightclubs more than anywhere else.
I generally just get hit in nightclubs...it goes something like this:

"damn you so ugly!" <slap>

I stopped going to clubs at 24 though. Today's music is far too ****e to even consider doing that.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Sorry but I have seldom seen any women who I would call "ugly", although I've encountered many ugly personalities whereby as beautiful as they are on the outside, I could not stand to be in the same room with, never mind be with. I've also seen plenty of less attractive women turn themselves pretty by wearing the right clothing, etc.

I can only be "attracted" to a woman's personality. This is why I have fallen for people without even knowing what they look like!
Then you're one of the very few. I quit online dating because I got sick and tired of spending time and energy talking to men (email and phone), getting my hopes up because we got along really well with a ton in common only to set up a face to face meeting and have him disappear with no contact afterwards.

obviously it's my looks that are making them run away and most men don't give two hoots if you have anything in common or if you're intelligent/can hold a conversation if you're not hot enough.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,805,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Then you're one of the very few. I quit online dating because I got sick and tired of spending time and energy talking to men (email and phone), getting my hopes up because we got along really well with a ton in common only to set up a face to face meeting and have him disappear with no contact afterwards.

obviously it's my looks that are making them run away and most men don't give two hoots if you have anything in common or if you're intelligent/can hold a conversation if you're not hot enough.
Dunno, but I've seen your pic and you do not look 'ugly'. Perhaps they are intimidated by your height more than your looks and if that's the case then it's their insecurity... and their loss.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
I am trying to understand how people can expect someone to find them attractive when they don't find themeselves attractive .
There is a woman at my job who is extremely unattractive physically IMO. But she is the nicest person in the world and is very intelligent. She managed to get married twice. Meanwhile, one of my friends is stunning and is awkward around men. She doesn't have confidence, and there is no bigger turnoff to a man. She rarely gets asked out.

How you feel about yourself matters. Others can see it; it's in your body language. Haven't you ever heard a man say, " There is just something about her?".

When I was cockeyed, before corrective surgery, I met my husband. I thought I was beautiful and ********* if you didn't feel the same. LOL.

If a cockeyed woman can get married....

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I am trying to understand how people can expect someone to find them attractive when they don't find themeselves attractive .
There is a woman at my job who is extremely unattractive physically IMO. But she is the nicest person in the world and is very intelligent. She managed to get married twice. Meanwhile, one of my friends is stunning and is awkward around men. She doesn't have confidence, and there is no bigger turnoff to a man. She rarely gets asked out.

How you feel about yourself matters. Others can see it; it's in your body language. Haven't you ever heard a man say, " There is just something about her?".

When I was cockeyed, before corrective surgery, I met my husband. I thought I was beautiful and ********* if you didn't feel the same. LOL.

If a cockeyed woman can get married....

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
Your first sentence doesn't make sense. We DON'T expect anyone else to find us attractive. We aren't feeling unattractive because we don't "find" ourselves unattractive or because of some la-di-da mismanaged state of mind. It has been made clear to us BY OTHERS that we are not attractive. Repetitively. Yes, yawn, yada yada, SOME unattractive people do find someone. Many others do not.

You're just another poster saying, "Well, I'VE got XYZ, so why don't YOU?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships