Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM

270 posts, read 409,504 times

Advertisements

Life without a serious SO is so much less fulfilling than life with one. I'm an extrovert with lots of friends and activities, but having that special person to share your life with is better. After my DH died, I thought I didn't want / need another love in my life, but when that first post-husband romance bloomed, I realized that I missed that close, intimate connection with another human. Ultimately that didn't work out and I got my heart broken, but it made me realize that my life is better when I have someone to love and who loves me back. Without that, no matter how many friends I'm surrounded by, I feel "lonely."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGirl View Post
Life without a serious SO is so much less fulfilling than life with one. I'm an extrovert with lots of friends and activities, but having that special person to share your life with is better. After my DH died, I thought I didn't want / need another love in my life, but when that first post-husband romance bloomed, I realized that I missed that close, intimate connection with another human. Ultimately that didn't work out and I got my heart broken, but it made me realize that my life is better when I have someone to love and who loves me back. Without that, no matter how many friends I'm surrounded by, I feel "lonely."
Your opinion.
I have a very fulfilling life with no SO.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbrian View Post
Why do so many people feel that if they meet 'someone' they will not be lonely in life? of if they have kids they will not be lonely in life?

I feel that if you surround yourself with the right relationships within the property dynamics than you'll lower your odds of being alone.

However, being alone or being with others has no direct correlation with being lonely. There are plenty of people who are in 'relationships' who are very lonely / isolated. In fact some people I know who are married with kids are more lonely than they were when they were single and not dating.

I used to volunteer at a senior home and 90% of these people had kids who never came to visit them very often. They told me they were lonely....so having kids to prevent loneliness is also not a good strategy.

Understand the concept, remove the neediness common to so many and life life to the fullest.

Keep'n it real!
Agree. And, I find that the most fascinating people I have ever met, regardless of age or gender, are those who have the noble goal of doing good works for their fellow human beings. The best cure for loneliness is to

1) Get out of the house
2)Take a good look around and remember how much you have been given
3)Give a smile, a word of encouragement or a helping hand to a person in true need.

It will fulfill a person in a way that dreamily gazing into someone else's eyes over candlelight, never can.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
For anyone stupid enough to have kids so "they won't be lonely when they're old..." they need to visit a convalescent home or assisted care facility. The vast majorty of those poor old folks have children and few ever visit. In the home where my mom lives, there are usually 100 old people at the lunch table. They always say to me, "You're the only child of anyone in here who ever visits anyone in here."

Sad, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships