Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,048 times

Advertisements

I've run across this three times now since the first of this year. Older men, almost 50 and above, raising a young child.

One was 53 with an 8 year old; one 49 with a 4 year old, and a 55 year old with a 6 year old.

All of these men have grown children and grandchildren. These young children were the result of a relationship/hook up with a girl 20 years younger then them and the mothers signed over custody and left.

Is this a new trend or am I just the lucky one running into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I've run across this three times now since the first of this year. Older men, almost 50 and above, raising a young child.

One was 53 with an 8 year old; one 49 with a 4 year old, and a 55 year old with a 6 year old.

All of these men have grown children and grandchildren. These young children were the result of a relationship/hook up with a girl 20 years younger then them and the mothers signed over custody and left.

Is this a new trend or am I just the lucky one running into this?
Its on the rise, for sure. Friend of mine, raised his 3 daughters on his own; then met a woman 20 years younger who wanted more kids. He's got custody of those 2 as well, she took off & he's back at square one- with little ones in his late 40's.
Men in their 40's still raising little ones-- thanks, but no thanks

Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,788 times
I think there IS something of a trend, although I see mixed reasons behind it.

The ones you described were the results of hookups with younger women, per your post.

I've seen a couple of those, but mostly what I've seen are men (my age, for example, 44 and raising a 4-year-old) who are waiting until later in life to even HAVE children.

This, coupled with the slowly changing legal/political tides, so that men are now ABLE more and more to obtain custody.

It's a thing the argumentative LOVE to argue, but there was a time in fairly RECENT years when it was still simply "understood" that children BELONG with the mother, almost regardless.

That is changing drastically these days as more and more men obtain custody. Men, once believed "incapable" of raising a child out of anything other than absolute necessity, have proved this exceedingly WRONG.

It is also changing as more and more women are seeking careers (and nothing wrong with it at all) and are willing to give up custody since it would potentially hinder those careers. It was once unacceptable for women to give up custody; a woman who did so was automatically labeled a "bad mother and a bad person". That is less and less the case these days. I still hear it some and wish it would just go away; it's stupid to say this.

There are lots of motivating factors behind what you're seeing.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:15 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I think there IS something of a trend, although I see mixed reasons behind it.

The ones you described were the results of hookups with younger women, per your post.

I've seen a couple of those, but mostly what I've seen are men (my age, for example, 44 and raising a 4-year-old) who are waiting until later in life to even HAVE children.

This, coupled with the slowly changing legal/political tides, so that men are now ABLE more and more to obtain custody.

It's a thing the argumentative LOVE to argue, but there was a time in fairly RECENT years when it was still simply "understood" that children BELONG with the mother, almost regardless.

That is changing drastically these days as more and more men obtain custody. Men, once believed "incapable" of raising a child out of anything other than absolute necessity, have proved this exceedingly WRONG.

It is also changing as more and more women are seeking careers (and nothing wrong with it at all) and are willing to give up custody since it would potentially hinder those careers. It was once unacceptable for women to give up custody; a woman who did so was automatically labeled a "bad mother and a bad person". That is less and less the case these days. I still hear it some and wish it would just go away; it's stupid to say this.

There are lots of motivating factors behind what you're seeing.
I would have loved nothing more than for this to happen.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I would have loved nothing more than for this to happen.

Meaning...?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
I raised 3 daughters as a single father. It was frustrating,marvelous,exasperating,fun,exhausting, wonderful,nerve racking,hilarious.I dont know what words I could choose to explain what a dads heart feels like to have his 3 little girls all fall asleep on his lap at the same time. It is at these times that I was sure I was raising 3 little angels. Then they woke up!!!!!!!!!!! But I wouldnt change a darn thing!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Meaning...?
Meaning that if my wife had decided to leave me raising my boys alone for her own professional/personal reasons, I would have been fine with it.

I also wished that it would have been possible for me to win custody of my kids had we gone the divorce route when they were younger. Not to say it would not have been possible, just that it was (and is) far from a sure thing.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I raised 3 daughters as a single father. It was frustrating,marvelous,exasperating,fun,exhausting, wonderful,nerve racking,hilarious.I dont know what words I could choose to explain what a dads heart feels like to have his 3 little girls all fall asleep on his lap at the same time. It is at these times that I was sure I was raising 3 little angels. Then they woke up!!!!!!!!!!! But I wouldnt change a darn thing!
Just dropped in, And your post was wonderful, So positive and shows what a great dad you are. I am childless and single but have been thinking more about this at 36 years old.** I could very well be an "older" dad. Kudos Captain!!

**Time will tell.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
The crocodile crawled into an awkward situation in whole foods.

At the gelato bar:
A very happy baby in the perambulator and an old man by the side and the baby is incessantly smiling at the crocodile's sight.

"He's so cute"

"Thank you"

"Bu, bu, bu, bu, little baby boy, look at me, look at grandpa"

<silence>

"He's actually my son"

"Oh, oh, well, excuse me"

The crocodile turns to the counter now.

"Can I have a small pistachio cup with pistachio bits on top please?"

Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post

You're a good man Capt. Dan. I always tell people, the only man that never let me down is my father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships