Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:12 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,346 times

Advertisements

... so she can have "alone time" for about a week. We've had some difficult talks over the past week. She says I don't make her happy. She says I'm like "food with no nutrients." She says we have nothing in common. She says other people represent "life" and I represent "death." She says I give her a bottomless black hole in her soul.

She's obviously not happy with me but I want to make it work. We've been married 8 years. I love her. I know this sounds really screwed up, but should I go on the week long vacation by myself and give her some time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
... so she can have "alone time" for about a week. We've had some difficult talks over the past week. She says I don't make her happy. She says I'm like "food with no nutrients." She says we have nothing in common. She says other people represent "life" and I represent "death." She says I give her a bottomless black hole in her soul.

She's obviously not happy with me but I want to make it work. We've been married 8 years. I love her. Should I go on the week long vacation by myself and give her some time?
Sometimes a little space and distance can really be helpful when couples are struggling.

Don't think you should take a real vacation, but can you go stay at a friends house, or perhaps to visit some family?

And since you really want to make it work - go out first thing in the morning and buy a copy of the book The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.

Read it during your week apart.

You HAVE to give this book a shot - it can make all the difference in a marriage that is struggling

Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 PM

391 posts, read 688,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post

She's obviously not happy with me but I want to make it work. We've been married 8 years. I love her. I know this sounds really screwed up, but should I go on the week long vacation by myself and give her some time?
Perhaps she needs to go on the vacation for a change of scenery
and heart... given those rather negative comments.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
I second that JosephV55, she needs the vacation maybe more than the OP...but then again maybe she wants the house, a familiar place to herself...That decision is really between the two of you. But if she needs a week, she's at least not just leaving the relationship, she's taking time to think...

Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I second that JosephV55, she needs the vacation maybe more than the OP...but then again maybe she wants the house, a familiar place to herself...That decision is really between the two of you. But if she needs a week, she's at least not just leaving the relationship, she's taking time to think...
I think you are right - she likely wants to be in her own familiar surroundings to give herself time to think and not be distracted.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned.

Well, to be fair, it's not his job to make her happy. Happiness comes from within.

But clearly she feels as though he has brought little to their intimacy and she's feeling like she's in a desert and dying of thirst.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-10-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, to be fair, it's not his job to make her happy. Happiness comes from within.
actually, it kind of is.

Did you miss this part?

Quote:
She says other people represent "life" and I represent "death." She says I give her a bottomless black hole in her soul.
that's pretty extreme, right there

Old 02-09-2012, 11:57 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,346 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

I think the essence of it is I don't love her hometown as much as she does. And now she's finding other people (mostly coworkers) who give her a lot more satisfaction than I do. I'm in a real pickle here.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-10-2012 at 09:48 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
actually, it kind of is.

Did you miss this part?

that's pretty extreme, right there
No, I didn't miss that.

My point is still valid though.

Happiness must come from within ourselves. She can't depend on him to "make" her happy.

I agree her description is extreme and that she is telling him something he needs to pay close attention to.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
I hope for your sake she doesn't have a ulterior motive

eg. the pool boy will be visiting her regularly while you are away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships