Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So much for staying on topic.

What I'm asking is as human beings don't we tend to seek out those who material things as opposed to those who still might be struggling? Example nice house, clothes, new car, etc.
Yes, I think we are all materialistic to some extent. Having stuff is fun and struggling is not. I also think that in recent years, we all should have learned that a lot of those people with the nice homes, fancy clothes and expensive cars are really the ones struggling financially because they're in a ton of debt.

After getting to know people with tons of credit card debt, the material stuff isn't as attractive to me anymore. But I don't think I would seek out someone who's struggling. I don't have a lot but I budget what I do have and I manage. I'd want someone who is in the position to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
Dirty beater car, bare cubboards, residue of toothpaste on the bathroom mirror, plastic nightstands, mattress on the floor is fine if you're twenty, you just can't get away with that forever. Living like a starving student while being middle aged is not going to help you in the dating world.

But you can clean the car, stock the cubboards (there are tons and tons of coupons out there to shop for food) and shop at a flea market or thrift store and fix up little pieces of furnishings or refinish them for next to nothing. They are fun projects to do with your spare time. You don't have to spend a lot of money to improve your surroundings.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Maybe a booster shot. No my car stays clean all the time no funky smells. Care for a ride? lol
Sure, why not. You know, you are just down the road some...lol
Now a background check...that might be necessary

Quote:
With gas prices going up I'm not impressed at all. Not big on the idea of making a new car payment along with rising gas prices. And to be honest I LOVE my little Mazda!!!!!!! I'm guessing I'm the only one here who is NOT in debt up to thier eyeballs. And I want to keep it that way I'm one of those if I can't afford to pay for it with gas then I don't need it. Paint job on the way.

I'm saving that for my next house I plan to buy at some point. In think people do tend to judge others on what they drive or where they live or how they dress. Even where they drink thier coffee.
Ever hear the song "Chicken Fried" by The Zac Brown Band?

"It's funny how it's the little things in life
That mean the most
Not where you live or what you drive
Or the price tag on your clothes
There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind
This I've come to know

So if you agree, have a drink with me
Raise your glasses for a toast"

I love that song. Anyhow...we didn't have a car payment for the LONGEST time and it was so nice. Just had to replace one of ours since they were both getting up there and we need something that is reliable for when I travel by myself. Between Raleigh and everywhere else there's a whole lot of nothing, and I don't want to get stuck in the middle of "nothing"...lol

However, we don't have the latest and greatest and everything we buy (with the exception of the car and our house) is paid for.

Oh, yeah and I drink my coffee at home! A heck of a lot cheaper and it's made just the way I like it

Old 03-20-2012, 09:45 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
I am not materialistic at all and hate materialistic people. Sheep leading sheep.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 AM

228 posts, read 500,148 times
Sounds more like paranoia to me. You THOUGHT they were checking you out, and then you THOUGHT they were snubbing you because you got into an older car. So if you were climbing into a new Mercedes do you think they would have chased you down the street? What exactly did you expect them to do either prior to or after getting into your Mazda?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:35 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infatuous1 View Post
Sounds more like paranoia to me. You THOUGHT they were checking you out, and then you THOUGHT they were snubbing you because you got into an older car. So if you were climbing into a new Mercedes do you think they would have chased you down the street? What exactly did you expect them to do either prior to or after getting into your Mazda?

You THOUGHT wrong.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:57 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
We need pics of the beloved mazda.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
With all the NEW icky cookie cutter vehicles out there that look all the same, they should be glad you are driving a late model with some style. Many 2012 MODELS SUCK and are boring IMO.
Agreed. I'm not in love with anything 2012. I figure buying an 09 Accord would be a better move after some other sucker takes the hit on depreciation.

I drive a 01 Accord and it's no chick magnet but it's paid for and starts and that is what I can afford at this point. If a woman doesn't want me because I am not rich I figure well that money I ain't saving on her I can use to pay down my student loans and other debt.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
I think most people are at least a little materialistic. For the most part I don't really care what kind of car a guy drives. I agree with everyone else, it should be clean and not stink. I definitely understand the appeal of not having a car payment. When I'm looking at a guy I take into account the whole picture. Does he have a good stable job? Can he pay his bills on time every month? Does he have debt? A guy could make 30K or 300K and meet those criteria. I make enough money to take care of myself, so as long as he can keep up with meals out every now and then and take a trip or two we're good!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times
Quote:
I ask this because I drive a 00 Mazda which runs good but it needs a paint job. So it looks like I'm driving a beater I keep it because it's paid for & gets great gas mileage.
I say just get it painted, since it's already paid for. I'm well aware of how much money people throw away on cars and realize that many people who have fancy cars can barely afford them, so I think it's smart that you continue to drive this one. Just paint it so it at least looks nice.

I had friend who really liked a guy she worked with. He had a great job, a great apartment, was super nice, very bright and he liked her. Then she saw his car and it was over for her. She told me she didn't want to be seen in it because it was older and not nice like her car. I told her she was an idiot and explained that that was all the more reason to snatch him up: he obviously knows how to manage his money! Since she bought a car she couldn't afford because she has to always have a brand new car, she couldn't understand this way of thinking. However, when he was laid off, he told her he wasn't worried because he had $20k in the bank. She asked, "Do you believe he has TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS?! How did he do that." I was speechless. He was lucky she turned him down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships