Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,440,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
I have anxiety disorder with agoraphobia. Back when I was first dealing with it, I didn't know how to articulate what I was experiencing. Now I can tell people that it is like falling into a dark hole full of water and trying to struggle to the surface; sometimes, you can struggle and break free to the surface and other times the more you struggle, the faster you sink.

When I call in "sick", it isn't because I have the flu or a cold, it is because I can feel the darkness rising. I've learned to manage it without medication; my control stems from knowing my limits and my body. I have been at work when I have had an anxiety attack and people thought I was just flipping out because of anger, and not because of my disorder. People seem so flippant about it because it isn't a visible thing.
This is so true. When I get a flashback, people often don't realize what's going on and don't know how to respond. They don't understand how serious it is and that it's not a matter of will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,437,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beiyang1 View Post
Would you date someone who is disabled?
No.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,792,168 times
If she had big boobies then yes.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 PM

19,639 posts, read 20,133,913 times
GOD Is Grrrrrrrreat!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,714,133 times
a lot of them say they wouldn't even date a woman with a learning disability much less a mental or physical disability. so I'm going with no on this one.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,284,946 times
Sadly, I was married to someone who was emotionally disabled. I would rather have a guy with a physical disability any day, than deal with a guy who is an "emotional cripple'. He cared about no one but himself. Being with someone who has a personality disorder makes you appreciate anyone "normal" who does not have a disabling condition like that.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,706,099 times
It really depends on the disability. It's not that I wouldn't like to believe I could handle a relationship with someone who requires a tremendous amount of help/care, but that takes a special kind of person, one who's a better person than I am, probably.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 PM

6,547 posts, read 7,266,132 times
Not sure if this counts but one girlfriend I had was non-hearing/speaking. I want to say it politically correct as the word "d--f" maybe insulting to some.

When I first saw her I thought she was attractive. I went up to her and introduced myself. She smiled and shook my hand. Continued talkind and all she did was smile and nod her head. My friends quickly told me that she was non-hearing/speaking. Got a notepad and introduced myself writting on it "Hey, nice to meet you, I am Onihc. What's your name?" and she would write back and, sure, it was a bit tiring but that's how we first met. Next time we met she brought her brother to interpret for us. Time went by and she bought me a book to learn sign language and started to teach me. Months later we went out and she tapped my shoulder and did the writting motion with her hand. She was trying to tell me to take out the notepad because she wanted to tell me something by writting on the paper. I then signed for the first time "It's ok, I think I know some sign language now". The look on her face was priceless .

Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,978,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The issue is not the disablity, but how the person accepts the disability. If the person is full of anger, and denial, that is the problem. If the person accepts his/her disability, but continues living a full life, there are no problems.
I agree with this. But it also depends on the disability to some extent.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 AM

890 posts, read 1,646,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Not sure if this counts but one girlfriend I had was non-hearing/speaking. I want to say it politically correct as the word "d--f" maybe insulting to some.

When I first saw her I thought she was attractive. I went up to her and introduced myself. She smiled and shook my hand. Continued talkind and all she did was smile and nod her head. My friends quickly told me that she was non-hearing/speaking. Got a notepad and introduced myself writting on it "Hey, nice to meet you, I am Onihc. What's your name?" and she would write back and, sure, it was a bit tiring but that's how we first met. Next time we met she brought her brother to interpret for us. Time went by and she bought me a book to learn sign language and started to teach me. Months later we went out and she tapped my shoulder and did the writting motion with her hand. She was trying to tell me to take out the notepad because she wanted to tell me something by writting on the paper. I then signed for the first time "It's ok, I think I know some sign language now". The look on her face was priceless .
Aww this is cute :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships