Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times

Advertisements

She IS marrying him - not his family. When an individual can't separate him/herself from their family, that's where the issue lies.

Sure the family will be a part of their lives, but they aren't a third wheel in the marriage. It's disturbing when people think that way, honestly.

Tolerate the family when you have to. Live your life happily - with your husband - otherwise. If he loves you and supports you, that's all that should matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 06:42 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I agree totally with you spinx.
BUT in my 23 yrs of being married, the MIL was a constant problem..(as she was for my husband's brother's wife). This lady was UNABLE to accept either of us as a daughter-in-law and went out of her way to aggravate and bully both of us...

As a young woman, I did all I knew to do...but nothing changed...got older, I just accepted it and frankly tried to stay away from her as much as possible. It was a shame and actually quite hard.

Never at any time did my husband confront her about her behaviors....we ended up divorced as did his brother/wife. Not saying she was the reason for the divorce, but absolutely she played a part in MY relationship with MY husband whether I liked it or not. Nuclear family dynamics.

I don't have any advice. Just do your best and be yourself
...do not cowtow to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
She IS marrying him - not his family. When an individual can't separate him/herself from their family, that's where the issue lies.

Sure the family will be a part of their lives, but they aren't a third wheel in the marriage. It's disturbing when people think that way, honestly.

Tolerate the family when you have to. Live your life happily - with your husband - otherwise. If he loves you and supports you, that's all that should matter.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Just want to second (or third) the argument that when you marry someone, you are not marrying their family. But honestly, I think I have more of a problem with the way it's being worded than what (I can only hope) it means by most who say it. It just seems to put the family on an equally high pedestal than the spouse - for lack of better wording. Yes, you should understand and accept that for many, family members are very important and are going to be a part of your life so long as you're with your new spouse. But your spouse should understand that however important one's past (their original family) may be to them, their future (their new family) is what their primarily focus should always be. I dare say that people who don't come to this conclusion put themselves at higher risk of becoming bad spouses and bad parents.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM

541 posts, read 940,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
How can you barely know his parents? Something doesn't sound right. You've been together for 4 years. Have neither of you spent holidays together? Go to family functions together? And get off the "first born" kick. Most Americans don't dwell on the first born thing and who they marry. I found that to be mostly an Asian thing. I worked in an Asian community and have learned a lot about the cultures. Some Asian cultures have stronger mariatal values about who thier kids marry. In your case, it's my guess that they just don't like you and that it has nothing to do with being Korean. My co-worker is Korean and his wife is Italian. Her parents are immigrants, just like mine. He spends time with her family and she with his. My brother's wife is Philippino. She had always spent time at our house before they were married and we spent time with her family. How do you marry someone and not know their family considering you know each other since JHS and you live in the same city as his parents?

I honestly didnt want to meet his parents when were together for 3 years. Just cuz I was afraid too. When we finally were engaged...I finally met them.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:34 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
I honestly didnt want to meet his parents when were together for 3 years. Just cuz I was afraid too. When we finally were engaged...I finally met them.
What were you afraid of? I don't understand what you mean. If you were afraid then that means you either you already knew something or you made a preconceived notion about them and assumed they wouldn't like you. To be honest, if the girl my son got engaged to was "afraid" to meet me after 3 years, I don't think I'd be happy with her either. What reason would one have to be afraid? And your fiance hasn't assured you that there is nothing to be afraid of? I don't think you're telling the whole story. This has drama written all over it. Has he met your parents and family?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
How does your SO feel about this and does he see it too? If you get married, whose 'side' is he on? Is he willing to defend you to his family and if necessary, walk away from them?

My MIL despised me because I was a 'Yankee' and H's family was from the south. Ridiculous! But prejudices are usually ridiculous. I did nothing but right by her son. I always worked hard and even put her son through college. But I could never do enough and she hated me until the day she died. She was always working behind the scenes trying to poison our relationship. She was quite evil.

H was never able to stand up to her. He allowed her to treat me badly. Eventually I lost a lot of respect for him over this issue and it did affect our marriage.

My best advice is to think hard about this and be sure about your prospective husband.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
What were you afraid of? I don't understand what you mean. If you were afraid then that means you either you already knew something or you made a preconceived notion about them and assumed they wouldn't like you.To be honest, if the girl my son got engaged to was "afraid" to meet me after 3 years, I don't think I'd be happy with her either.What reason would one have to be afraid? And your fiance hasn't assured you that there is nothing to be afraid of? I don't think you're telling the whole story. This has drama written all over it. Has he met your parents and family?

I am Korean. He was white.

I automatically assumed they wouldnt like me.

You have never met me as a person. I get along with everyone AND I hate drama! I avoid it. Think whatever you want. But you dont understand and dont expect you to get it.

Later.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
How does your SO feel about this and does he see it too? If you get married, whose 'side' is he on? Is he willing to defend you to his family and if necessary, walk away from them?

My MIL despised me because I was a 'Yankee' and H's family was from the south. Ridiculous! But prejudices are usually ridiculous. I did nothing but right by her son. I always worked hard and even put her son through college. But I could never do enough and she hated me until the day she died. She was always working behind the scenes trying to poison our relationship. She was quite evil.

H was never able to stand up to her. He allowed her to treat me badly. Eventually I lost a lot of respect for him over this issue and it did affect our marriage.

My best advice is to think hard about this and be sure about your prospective husband.

This sucks! I am sorry to hear that! Was he the 1st born son or something??? : (

I dont understand if the guy is interracial relationships....he resents her for trying to take him away from his family even though she didnt pressure him to do so. That happened to my friend.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Just want to second (or third) the argument that when you marry someone, you are not marrying their family. But honestly, I think I have more of a problem with the way it's being worded than what (I can only hope) it means by most who say it. It just seems to put the family on an equally high pedestal than the spouse - for lack of better wording. Yes, you should understand and accept that for many, family members are very important and are going to be a part of your life so long as you're with your new spouse. But your spouse should understand that however important one's past (their original family) may be to them, their future (their new family) is what their primarily focus should always be. I dare say that people who don't come to this conclusion put themselves at higher risk of becoming bad spouses and bad parents.
I agree -- except that sometimes you are. It depends on how separated the spouse wants to be from the family.

Often they're going to want to get together with family for holidays, or at least for family reunions. Some families like to remain extra close and enjoy many weekends together. Some even feel it's their duty to have parents live with them when the parents get older.

It's fine if the in-laws are a problem and you live 2000 miles away from them and never plan to visit or have them visit. It's not so fine if the spouse wants to see them and have them around often and they are a problem.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
I am Korean. He was white.

I automatically assumed they wouldnt like me.
Well there ya go.

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships