Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
HE IS VERY UPSET!!! He doesnt know if and when his parents will ever come around. He is saying he is putting my feelings above theirs. But I dont agree with him on that. Because he is their only and 1st born son and his parents would be pissed if they werent even invited to the wedding. Even though they are not thrilled about his choice. I actually told him that I want them to be included in the wedding.
He is just trying to make me happy. And I am just dying because I just want his parents to just accept me as their own. That is not happening anytime soon. : (

This is one of those situations that no one person can fix on their own I'm afraid.

You can only lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

His parents are going to do what they are going to do - so you just have to go forward and live your lives together.

If he were not putting your feelings first, then I'd say 'run' and do not marry him. But since you say he is, then he is on the right track to being his own man.

Forget the oldest/firstborn thing - that does not matter in American culture.

When you see the parents, be polite and friendly, never aggressive or rude.

In time when they see how happy he is with you and how well you treat him, they may come around.

But you can't live your whole life waiting for that to happen, since it might not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Many parents initial reaction to the woman their son choses is not the best. This could happen if you were a person of their own race too. I believe they will get past it.
If he has chosen you, then he should stand beside you and support you, no matter what his parents say. If he does not, then he is not the partner you want.
Just be yourself. Be polite. It is up to them to adjust.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:56 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
HE IS VERY UPSET!!! He doesnt know if and when his parents will ever come around. He is saying he is putting my feelings above theirs. But I dont agree with him on that. Because he is their only and 1st born son and his parents would be pissed if they werent even invited to the wedding. Even though they are not thrilled about his choice. I actually told him that I want them to be included in the wedding.

He is just trying to make me happy.

And I am just dying because I just want his parents to just accept me as their own. That is not happening anytime soon. : (
Trying to make you happy is all you can ask for of your fiance in a situation like this.

He is not his parents or their thoughts, thats the part you're not accepting.

It is what it is.... and the undue stress of acceptance on the level you want will eventually take its toll on the relationship.

Of course they should be included in the wedding, but you realize it is their choice if they don't, and sadly, you have to accept it and let it go.

You can make this much worse for your finace as well as yourself by harping on his parents lack of interest and your own parents too. That will be your choice.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:00 PM

541 posts, read 940,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Trying to make you happy is all you can ask for of your fiance in a situation like this.

He is not his parents or their thoughts, thats the part you're not accepting.

It is what it is.... and the undue stress of acceptance on the level you want will eventually take its toll on the relationship.

Of course they should be included in the wedding, but you realize it is their choice if they don't, and sadly, you have to accept it and let it go.

You can make this much worse for your finace as well as yourself by harping on his parents lack of interest and your own parents as well. That will be your choice.

Ok.
My parents LOVE HIM. At first, they were bothered by the fact he wasnt korean. But they got over it. They are very religious. That is the #1... The fact he is a christian...they are happy with that.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Ok.
My parents LOVE HIM. At first, they were bothered by the fact he wasnt korean. But they got over it. They are very religious. That is the #1... The fact he is a christian...they are happy with that.
Theres one blessing Thats 1/2 of the parental approval battle you wont need to worry with.

As another poster said, its not uncommon for parental disapproval of partners even within the same race, happens all the time.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:35 PM

And as other posters have said, be kind and patient.

Don't get defensive and put out over personal questions unless the questions should cross unacceptable boundaries.

It could be they are what I'll call culturally challenged, meaning, they may know zilch about your world and your parents customs.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
And as other posters have said, be kind and patient.

Don't get defensive and put out over personal questions unless the questions should cross unacceptable boundaries.

It could be they are what I'll call culturally challenged, meaning, they may know zilch about your world and your parents customs.

I am Korean but I was born in Chicago. I lived in the U.S all my life.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I am Korean but I was born in Chicago. I lived in the U.S all my life.

Have you tried arranging a dinner between your parents and his or would an arrangement like that be out of the question right now?

Old 03-25-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Have you tried arranging a dinner between your parents and his or would an arrangement like that be out of the question right now?

That is kinda out of the question since his parents are not so thrilled about me. I don't think the fact his parents met mine will help change their mind.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
That is kinda out of the question since his parents are not so thrilled about me. I don't think the fact his parents met mine will help change their mind.
Well, their loss and again, I wouldn't take it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships