Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,873 times

Advertisements

Super annoying. So unattractive. Way to let the girl know you're crazy.

Unbelievably this has happened to me several times. The last time was at a pub style place a couple of blocks from my home, out with my roommate. These dudes were sending us over rounds of drinks. As I got up to go the bathroom, I thanked them, whatever. Came back and one of the dudes was actually really interesting, cute and non-creepy so when they stopped me I started talking to them. Eventually one of them grabbed my roommate too to join us. We're having a good time, getting tipsy. One of them starts dominating the conversation with me, which I found annoying but whatever he seemed ok. Muscular, guido-ish, attitude. I notice he is slowly getting more obnoxious and he's kind of giving me some attitude as I'm getting a little colder. Meanwhile I'm texting several people as usual.

Then he tries to grab my phone, basically demands to know who I'm speaking to, and accuses me of being a b****. How can you just meet someone and try to grab their phone??? How ridiculous. Crazy alert. So I basically continue ignoring him. Eventually he leaves, but not without throwing rolled up napkins on me on his way out.

I wish I could say this is the first time I just met someone out and they demand to know who I'm speaking to or why I'm on the phone. None of your business! I really cannot understand male behavior.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Well, there were two rude people in the scenario: The guy and you.

No excuse for the guy's behavior. But, by the same token, it's just rude to have a conversation with someone while texting someone else. Period. End of story.

Hey, I'm prone to check my e-mail or whatever if I'm at a restaurant, and I recognize that enough to try to stop it. But actively texting someone? Yikes.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:15 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Honestly, that would annoy me too.

I think it's rude to have the phone out texting when you are having a conversation with someone else, no matter how casual the conversation is.

His behavior wasn't acceptable either though.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 AM

How was I being rude??? We're in a group of people. Most of us just met. What am I supposed to do, excuse myself to talk to people I actually know???

IMO, that is controlling behavior. Which is particularly nuts if you just meet someone.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:17 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
How was I being rude??? We're in a group of people. Most of us just met. What am I supposed to do, excuse myself to talk to people I actually know???
Actually, yes. If you agreed to hang out with these people and were having conversations with them, then the appropriate thing to have done was to say, "Excuse me for a moment," and walked away to do whatever.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:18 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
You can't carry on two conversations at the same time. Either carry on one (with the guy or guys) or the other (with the people you are texting). So yes, you were being rude. Pretty sure you've been told this a lot...........

Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
That dude sounds kinda psycho but I do find it to be rude to be using your phone while talking to someone.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Can't you stop texting for half an hour? Geez!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Actually I was just being polite by talking to these guys since they were buying me drinks. I was under no obligation to hang out with them. They basically grabbed me on the way from the bathroom. Big mistake. Next time I'll be rude, breeze by and talk to my real friends.

I know a lot of you are a lot older than me and barely text, but we were all around the same age and it's pretty common to check your phone/respond to messages when out.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,206,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, there were two rude people in the scenario: The guy and you.

No excuse for the guy's behavior. But, by the same token, it's just rude to have a conversation with someone while texting someone else. Period. End of story.

Hey, I'm prone to check my e-mail or whatever if I'm at a restaurant, and I recognize that enough to try to stop it. But actively texting someone? Yikes.

I agree. If the person I am talking to would rather be communicating with someone else, they should go away and communicate with that person. To me, it's just as rude to text in the middle of a conversation as it would be to whip out a book and start reading as I'm talking to you, or to just turn around and walk away in mid-sentence and start talking to someone else. If you can't be present in the moment of a conversation, don't have the conversation.

So while it's no excuse for the guy's behavior, I can see why he got irritated with the OP. I also agree that if the OP just can't detach from the phone, that she should have excused herself and stepped away.

Too bad I can't rep you right now, CPG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships