Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 PM

234 posts, read 498,818 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have this friend that I've known for four years. I've always had feelings for her, but it seemed like each time something might happen one of us was dating someone else or just the timing was off and I never really told her how I felt because I didn't want things to get weird and for her to stop wanting to hang out. Anyways, last night I ran into her while she was out with a couple of girlfriends. They were coming from a fundraiser and having a few drinks. They had rented a room in a hotel so they didn't have to drive home.

She invited me to come over when the bar closed as they were going to continue the party. I went over and she asked if I wanted to crash there. Her friends crashed and the two of us were up talking. I told her that I valued our friendship and didn't want to ever do anything to jeapoardize that, but I've had feelings for her for a while and wondered if she ever saw us as being together.

She said she has always been attracted to me and might be open to it, but doesn't want a relationship right now. By this time it was like 4 AM and I had to be up in a couple of hours so we crashed (in the same bed, but nothing happened, heh heh).

So, does this mean I should drop it? Should I just keep hanging out with her and see if she brings it up? I really think this person could be special, but I don't want to just wait around if nothing is going to happen....Thanks in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 PM

541 posts, read 940,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCat View Post
Hi everyone, I have this friend that I've known for four years. I've always had feelings for her, but it seemed like each time something might happen one of us was dating someone else or just the timing was off and I never really told her how I felt because I didn't want things to get weird and for her to stop wanting to hang out. Anyways, last night I ran into her while she was out with a couple of girlfriends. They were coming from a fundraiser and having a few drinks. They had rented a room in a hotel so they didn't have to drive home.

She invited me to come over when the bar closed as they were going to continue the party. I went over and she asked if I wanted to crash there. Her friends crashed and the two of us were up talking. I told her that I valued our friendship and didn't want to ever do anything to jeapoardize that, but I've had feelings for her for a while and wondered if she ever saw us as being together.

She said she has always been attracted to me and might be open to it, but doesn't want a relationship right now. By this time it was like 4 AM and I had to be up in a couple of hours so we crashed (in the same bed, but nothing happened, heh heh).

So, does this mean I should drop it? Should I just keep hanging out with her and see if she brings it up? I really think this person could be special, but I don't want to just wait around if nothing is going to happen....Thanks in advance for your replies!
Was she drunk??? keep hanging out with her. But sooner or later you gotta bring it up again so you can get closure for good.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 PM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
Sex is possible. But not developing a relationship afterwards could ruin your friendship...

Tread carefully!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
You'll be better off if you approach any romantic relationship from the perspective of being friends first, lovers second. That's what they say about the strongest marriages.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCat View Post

It is best to wait until everyone is sober to bring up anything else again. Wait and see what she says in the near future if anything and go from there.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:27 PM

541 posts, read 940,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You'll be better off if you approach any romantic relationship from the perspective of being friends first, lovers second. That's what they say about the strongest marriages.

bingo. My husband to be: I had liked him for the longest time before we engaged. Ihave known him since jr high and we went to high school together. But we were never really friends. He was friendly to me. Even post high school: he still had a hold of me that I couldnt completely shake off even though I dated other people. When I saw him at the high school reunion: it was sparks for me all over again. I was like Damn. Then we exchanged numbers. Nothing happened and but we were friends. I made sure we were friends. BUT DAMN that was ****in hard as ****. I wanted to be more than that.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 PM

143 posts, read 540,540 times
I would bring it up again after the dust settles. You are feeling too vulnerable right now after showing your hand to have a conversation with her about it. You also want to have some time and space between this drunken revelation and your next conversation with her about the topic. In the meantime, keep hanging out with her as a friend and don't bring it up until you feel ready to (and you gauge she is ready as well). And don't bring it up when you guys are drunk. No one is thinking straight when the booze is flowing.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
bingo. My husband to be: I had liked him for the longest time before we engaged. Ihave known him since jr high and we went to high school together. But we were never really friends. He was friendly to me. Even post high school: he still had a hold of me that I couldnt completely shake off even though I dated other people. When I saw him at the high school reunion: it was sparks for me all over again. I was like Damn. Then we exchanged numbers. Nothing happened and but we were friends. I made sure we were friends. BUT DAMN that was ****in hard as ****. I wanted to be more than that.
Yes I think partly due to the influence of the media there's this idea that you're either passionately in love or hate each other's guts, like you can't remain friends after an amiable break-up. Why can't friendships be the basis for more romantic relationships?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM

234 posts, read 498,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
Was she drunk??? keep hanging out with her. But sooner or later you gotta bring it up again so you can get closure for good.
No, neither of us was drunk, but we had a few drinks over the course of the evening so we weren't stone sober either.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
She said she "might be open to it"...but not right now....so you should just think the same, and in the mean-time keep looking and dating....if she comes back to you,fine....if not...no harm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships