Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date someone who's hobby was pipe smoking?
Yes 19 38.00%
No 24 48.00%
Not Sure 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Well of course smoking a pipe isn't healthy, but common sense dictates it's healthi{er}. With cigarettes, the intent is to inhale the smoke into the lungs, but with most pipe smokers, this isn't so. You breath it into the mouth and exhale through the nose to enjoy the flavor. The amount of smoke you would get in the lungs is minimal compared to cigarettes.

That's why the cancers more common to pipe smokers aren't lung, but higher up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,891,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
That's why the cancers more common to pipe smokers aren't lung, but higher up.
On one of the pipe smoking forums I frequent, an intersting point was made. The poster said

" if smoking a pipe is so unhealthy, why is it only OLD codgers smoking them?"

I found it pretty humorous but also a good question.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 PM

289 posts, read 311,209 times
Quote:
Well of course smoking a pipe isn't healthy, but common sense dictates it's healthi{er}. With cigarettes, the intent is to inhale the smoke into the lungs, but with most pipe smokers, this isn't so. You breath it into the mouth and exhale through the nose to enjoy the flavor. The amount of smoke you would get in the lungs is minimal compared to cigarettes.
Seems reasonable enough, although I wonder if any studies have been done in this regard.

On a personal level, I DO know that my grandfather was an avid pipe smoker for as long as I can remember. It was his wife who died of lung cancer, though, not him. He lived another 13 years after that, but eventually died of myriad health issues for which I'm sure that smoking did not help.

He never quit, nor to my knowledge even tried to quit, even after his wife died. Just sad.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
So, would you date a guy who smokes a pipe?
Yes, but not like the one below:

Quote:
Smoking a pipe is not the same as smoking cigarettes, as it is more a hobby than a habbit.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,423,099 times
I wouldn't date a woman that doesn't smoke my pipe.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,056 times
My Dad and his friend used to smoke a pipes. My Dad bought a new one for me to play with as a toy when I was about two or three. I walked around everywhere with that pipe (a real new clean one) hanging out of my mouth. That kind of gives away my age. People didn't think anything about it back then and thought it was cute and funny. Today, they would have locked up my parents and put me into a foster home. Damn, I'm starting to get old.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,056 times
Yes, I still have that pipe!!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
My dad used to smoke a pipe occasionally and still smokes cigars. I always liked the pipe a lot better than the cigar that's for sure, but I love cigar boxes. Since the pattern of pipe smoking is more occasionally, it is OK by me, but no smoking anything in my house.

I have tried hookah a couple of times, I think it is OK, I won't make it a habit, but I'll have a few puffs if people want to go.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
I am assuming you mean tobacco, yes; if you mean weed, hell no get that crap and yourself outta my house and my life.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:59 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Me and a male friend of mine went through a pipe smoking phase a few years back when we were in our early 20s. It was always fun going to popular bars and breaking out our pipes . Fun memories.

I smoke cigarettes occasionally, but I am by no means a regular smoker. I think I've purchased 5 packs in the past year or so. I do hit the hookah here and there, but me and my friends like to create different tobacco/liquid combinations so a large part of that is experimentation. Then, we sit around and chat, so is a very social event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships