Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,209,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
There have always been 40 year old virgins and there have always been single people. These things just weren't talked about - or they were talked about behind closed doors. It's just like women have always gotten their period, there have always been illegitimate children, there have always been homosexuals, and people have always had sex. These things just weren't talked about and now they are.
Yes, but the fact that we have more freedom to choose not to get married has ironically meant that less dateable folk are probably getting laid yes since back then marriage was what virtually everyone did. Single folk were seen as weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,768,772 times
Oh my god, not yet another "it was so much better back in the days" thread.

OP, you really need to get out and start living instead of this endless ruminating you'll doing. You're starting to sound like city_data91 and that is NOT a compliment.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,205,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Not what I said at all. I'm talking about the stage before.
Oh, I guess I just imagined the part in your original post about people wanting marriage having more purpose.

It doesn't matter how the courting process is done. If two people agree to meet in a bathroom, it still doesn't matter, because people have the freedom to live however they want.

The courting/marriage process may have seemed better then, because of the rampant sexism and more patriarchal society. Those women and men knew they were going to have established roles before they even started dating. It was only an established process of the male impressing the female and vice versa so they could fit into their neat little world like they were taught.

But that is all we're doing, so one method isn't better than another because it is all for the same purpose of living your life.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Oh, I guess I just imagined the part in your original post about people wanting marriage having more purpose.

It doesn't matter how the courting process is done. If two people agree to meet in a bathroom, it still doesn't matter, because people have the freedom to live however they want.

The courting/marriage process may have seemed better then, because of the rampant sexism and more patriarchal society. Those women and men knew they were going to have established roles before they even started dating. It was only an established process of the male impressing the female and vice versa so they could fit into their neat little world like they were taught.

But that is all we're doing, so one method isn't better than another because it is all for the same purpose of living your life.
Don't fully agree with the narrative of marriage being a patriachal institution. Perhaps polygamy was, to an extent, but marriage itself didn't seem one-sided and isn't one-sided now, unless one of the parties takes advantage of it.

Now in fact the story has changed: marriage is a way for WOMEN to oppress men. I think neither is totally accurate.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,234,111 times
Quote:
Don't fully agree with the narrative of marriage being a patriachal institution. Perhaps polygamy was, to an extent, but marriage itself didn't seem one-sided and isn't one-sided now, unless one of the parties takes advantage of it.

Now in fact the story has changed: marriage is a way for WOMEN to oppress men. I think neither is totally accurate.
A true marriage has nothing to do with oppression on either side.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM

29,783 posts, read 34,551,422 times
Quote:

Well, until the 20th century when a woman got married everything she owned/her money belonged to her husband not her. Children and property acquired during marriage legally belonged to the husband, not the wife. Women needed a husband's permission to have bank accounts and property. Sounds pretty patriarchal to me.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,033,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Well, until the 20th century when a woman got married everything she owned/her money belonged to her husband not her. Children and property acquired during marriage legally belonged to the husband, not the wife. Women needed a husband's permission to have bank accounts and property. Sounds pretty patriarchal to me.
A lot of our institutions have been or were patriarchal from their early days or founding. Whether they continue to be so is a different topic/issue and open to discussion.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Society has a WHOLE was patriachal back then, so of course we wouldn't expect marriage to be an exception, would we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships