Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,929,933 times

Advertisements

The selection is pretty low for girls 18-22 because lots of those girls are college age and are around guys a lot. It gets better 23+ because lots of them move to a new town to start work or something so theres more pretty girls that age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,669,108 times
It's pretty cruddy for young 20 year olds, speaking from experience.

e: Basically what AJ said.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,872,263 times
Sucks leaving the man cave

Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Just wondering if anyone under 26-27 years old has had any experience with online dating.
i've used it on-and-off since i moved out of state 6 years ago, at 22.

Quote:
Are the women in the 21-25 year old range decent looking on these sites or are they typically the desperate ones?
yeah, but nothing like a halfway decent bar on a saturday night.

there are some good looking girls, they're just few and far between. So if you're an average looking guy like me, the online odds are really poor*, and decent looking girls are far more receptive in person.

However, i have some friends who do great with women in any setting, and online is incredibly simple and easy for them. Post a pic and wait for #'s. However, even for these guys, they admit that they're sacrificing quality for the sake of convenience.

* - I signed up with POF yesterday, for example. Sent 13 messages. 10 went to "decent" looking girls. 2 were just nonsense. 1 was to a girl who was probably fat, but I couldn't tell. I got one response; guess who?

Quote:
For me, my impression of online dating has always been an older crowd looking for something more serious. Is that pretty spot on or am I way off?
you're off, it includes more than that.

Quote:
I will be leaving my city in a couple months, nor do I want anything serious with anyone. Does online dating seem like it would or wouldn't be a good option for me?
would not.

Last edited by le roi; 03-28-2012 at 07:30 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,569,015 times
If you're looking for something casual, I think Plenty of Fish would be your best bet. I definitely think that site is geared toward a younger crowd.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,691,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Just wondering if anyone under 26-27 years old has had any experience with online dating. Are the women in the 21-25 year old range decent looking on these sites or are they typically the desperate ones? For me, my impression of online dating has always been an older crowd looking for something more serious. Is that pretty spot on or am I way off?

I will be leaving my city in a couple months, nor do I want anything serious with anyone. Does online dating seem like it would or wouldn't be a good option for me?

Disclaimer: I said older as in older than mid 20s, I'm not calling anybody old

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off.

My brother who is younger shows me some of the girls on that site and we laugh about the ho factor. He ended up deleting his profile because of those people. It was a waste of time for him as he wasn't interested in bar flys in training and skanky chicks that have a million "sexy me" pictures on profiles that are photoshopped to death.

I don't know what gave you the idea that it was only older and serious. There are plenty of those trashy desperate hos you are seeming to want for a fling on okcupid. At least from what I have seen from what my brother shared.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
I pretty much exclusively did online dating in my early-mid twenties.

The reason? I had taken a job in a very rural area, and what few local guys there were were mostly not close to me in age (not an area with tons of jobs for the young/recent grads; I had pretty much the only one, so younger people leave). Those who were were the marry young and start families with their high school sweetheart types. To date, I had to cast my net a little wider, to other communities in the area, and doing it online was the easiest way to do that.

It's a mixed bag, no matter what, just like any dating. I met cool guys who were good dating material, and guys who were sketchy. No way to tell until you meet people/spend time with them, and that's really no different no matter how you first come into contact with them.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,673,674 times
What I’ve learned pretending to be a man | Sofiastry

^ here you go, this is spot on IMO

Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 AM

733 posts, read 1,661,714 times
I think your impression is more or less right. If you are looking for something casual, bars, parties, friends' friends are probably better ways/places for you.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,089,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I pretty much exclusively did online dating in my early-mid twenties.

The reason? I had taken a job in a very rural area, and what few local guys there were were mostly not close to me in age (not an area with tons of jobs for the young/recent grads; I had pretty much the only one, so younger people leave). Those who were were the marry young and start families with their high school sweetheart types. To date, I had to cast my net a little wider, to other communities in the area, and doing it online was the easiest way to do that.

It's a mixed bag, no matter what, just like any dating. I met cool guys who were good dating material, and guys who were sketchy. No way to tell until you meet people/spend time with them, and that's really no different no matter how you first come into contact with them.
This. There are plenty of sketchy people out there in real life in bars and restaurants too.

I really wouldn't be excited to find out a guy I'd been hanging out with planned on moving soon. I'm 28 and on match. Maybe younger girls are not as serious about finding someone. If you do decide to do it, then I think you should say in a non creepy way that you're only in town for a short while. That way the woman knows up front. And maybe join one of the free ones. I think you'll be more likely to find someone there who is up for hanging out without expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships