Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm not taking issue with you, croc, but my impression was that those who were "cool" thought they were TOO "cool" to talk to anybody.
I'm not sure about that. I always make sure I'm not the guy standing in the corner in a public forum in real life. It's just not my personality. Mister Cool is something others bestow on a person and it's never self-assumed, though it appears in this case I am self-assuming too.... coz this is online. But again, I'm only basing it on the feedback I have received and it does not surprise me at all becoz I'm a very friendly guy with a really positive attitude. A fair share of it comes from my heavy exercising lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I've thought about that conversation since then. As I get older, I find that I enjoy connecting to people, even if I don't know them. I find it interesting the conversations you have with can have with total strangers, when time permits. When I was younger, I would have been polite, but still given her the brush-off.
Doesn't sound like it. You sound like regretting missing out on a lot of such occasions. What were you doing when you were younger? Did you sulk a lot?

Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,842 times
I don't usually strike-up conversations but find I'm often the victim of one.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,796 times
Quote:
Last night, my son and I were at the grocery store in the checkout line after his lacrosse practice. The woman ahead of us was about ten years older. She said to me, "You have a nice looking son, there." I thanked her, introduced myself, and we proceeded to have a nice ten-minute chat, at the end of which we each knew how many children we each had, what ages they were, etc. etc. Even the gum-chewing cashier got involved in the discussion. I wasn't in any hurry and nobody was behind us in line, so it was a nice break in our day.

The woman gathered her bags, said good-bye, and left. My son, who is normally a total smart-ass, said, "She was really nice. I liked her." And the teenager said, "That was really cool." It was as if the four of us had experienced a moment of grace in our lives.

I've thought about that conversation since then. As I get older, I find that I enjoy connecting to people, even if I don't know them. I find it interesting the conversations you have with can have with total strangers, when time permits. When I was younger, I would have been polite, but still given her the brush-off.

So, had you faced that situation, would you have muttered 'thanks' to the older lady and looked the other way? Or would you have talked to her?
That's pretty nice. I normally don't initiate but don't shy away from it if someone else starts. I had a cool time with this guy in my office building the other day when we were waiting for the elevator to come. He just randomly asked me to guess which one would open between the 6 evelators, so we both made a guess we were both wrong! It was short but cute, and we have been saying hi to each other ever since. I have had several moments like that. I enjoy them! I like people who are not afraid strike random conversation; it says a lot about their personalities and confidence level!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,673 times
Quote:
Last night, my son and I were at the grocery store in the checkout line after his lacrosse practice. The woman ahead of us was about ten years older. She said to me, "You have a nice looking son, there." I thanked her, introduced myself, and we proceeded to have a nice ten-minute chat, at the end of which we each knew how many children we each had, what ages they were, etc. etc. Even the gum-chewing cashier got involved in the discussion. I wasn't in any hurry and nobody was behind us in line, so it was a nice break in our day.

The woman gathered her bags, said good-bye, and left. My son, who is normally a total smart-ass, said, "She was really nice. I liked her." And the teenager said, "That was really cool." It was as if the four of us had experienced a moment of grace in our lives.

So, had you faced that situation, would you have muttered 'thanks' to the older lady and looked the other way? Or would you have talked to her?
That's a cool story!

As for me, I'm pretty shy so I find it difficult to strike up conversations with random people.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
I'm happy to engage in conversation, but not good at small talk or chatting about current events. I don't brush people off intentionally, just that I'm not good at keeping a conversation running on fumes.

After years of traveling by myself for work, I've had some good experiences meeting random people in hotels, airports, bars, the usual lonesome traveler spots. There is plenty to be found talking to random people, assuming that the conversation doesn't fizzle in the first minute or two.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
I'm a VERY shy guy so I probably would have just said thanks and moved on. Usually depends on which side of town I'm on if a person strikes up a convo of any kind. In downtown, West, or South Louisville (working class/blue collar) I'm more likely to find people who will convo with me than the part of town I live on, the East End (upper middle class).

Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
I talk to random people on a regular basis, most people are generally friendly from what I've seen

Old 03-28-2012, 03:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
All the time. It is probably learned behavior from my dad. I talk to cashiers, people around me in line, waiting at the bus stop.

I am the person who will give you an adhoc review if you are intensely reading the label for something I have tried if I am in the aisle at the store.

I have even made a few friends this way, from the random conversations in line or whatever. But the conversations have no goal other than to pass the time.

It is more rare when I don't do it. And probably a key part of the reason that I am really memorable apparently. I go to a store/restaurant/whatever 2X and the workers will say "hey, you've been here before/frequently...." I don't understand other than smiling a lot, I am not particularly unique looking.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM

212 posts, read 375,754 times
I never go out of my way to talk to people. If someone compliments me or tries to talk, I respond with one word answers, if I'm not wearing headphones. I never smile in public anyway, to give anyone the impression they can approach me or talk to me. In fact, I dislike people in my personal bubble. My husband is the same, we don't like people lol.

It's just the way I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships