Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,147,019 times

Advertisements

Why The Divorce Rate for Baby Boomers Is Soaring

By; Kristin Wong

More couples than ever are getting divorced in their 50s and 60s, and there's
one key factor that might explain why

It's never too late to find love, and apparently, it's never too late to call it quits, either. The national divorce rate might be on a decline, but that's not the case not for baby boomers. The divorce rate for couples in their 60s is up to 35 percent.There are a handful of factors that could be causing this rise.

For one, divorce isn't as taboo as it used to be. And as you age, your priorities change, too. Or maybe couples just want to wait for their kids to be all grown up until they break the news (though it's not easy at any age). Click Here To Read More.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,741,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Why The Divorce Rate for Baby Boomers Is Soaring
By; Kristin Wong

More couples than ever are getting divorced in their 50s and 60s, and there's
one key factor that might explain why

It's never too late to find love, and apparently, it's never too late to call it quits, either. The national divorce rate might be on a decline, but that's not the case not for baby boomers. The divorce rate for couples in their 60s is up to 35 percent.There are a handful of factors that could be causing this rise.

For one, divorce isn't as taboo as it used to be. And as you age, your priorities change, too. Or maybe couples just want to wait for their kids to be all grown up until they break the news (though it's not easy at any age). Click Here To Read More.
With people divorcing each other en masse for trivial reasons in the modern age, it is obvious that the entire institution and sacrament of marriage has been turned into a complete joke, mockery, and mere facade, of what marriage used to mean...

ETA: If/when I am blessed in the future to marry myself, the *only* reasons I will ever potentially get a divorce for myself are adultery and abuse. For me, myself, everything else I simply consider trivial. "Changing priorities" just doesn't cut in, in my book; it's just not on the same level with adultery...

Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,839,836 times
"So they sought out that factor, and they found the culprit: Past divorces."

Well, duh, this is hardly new. For all we know, these "researchers" stole this "idea" from this site. Is Bowling Green a basket weaving school?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,287,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
"So they sought out that factor, and they found the culprit: Past divorces."

Well, duh, this is hardly new. For all we know, these "researchers" stole this "idea" from this site. Is Bowling Green a basket weaving school?
A ...ahem... "watershed" article.

Bowling Green? I wouldn't call it selective.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,035,332 times
Generationally speaking, baby boomers are the first to rebel against traditional roles and adapt to modern lives. Which explains why the divorce rate is so high.

During the time that they were growing up, a lot of movements grew during their childhood and that's when society changed as far as marriage and divorce goes.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,939,637 times
People are just living too long. The average life span is up into the 70's now. 30, 40, 50 years of the same ____? When a man hits about 50 he looks at the clock. There's only about maybe 10 years of good quality _________ left. Gotta go, Gotta go..

Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 AM

782 posts, read 1,083,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
People are just living too long. The average life span is up into the 70's now. 30, 40, 50 years of the same ____? When a man hits about 50 he looks at the clock. There's only about maybe 10 years of good quality _________ left. Gotta go, Gotta go..
Women are filing for divorce at far greater numbers than men in that age group. Gotta go, Gotta go...

Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,678,229 times
I heard two older baby boomer women talking at work about how now that the kids were grown and gone, they had nothing to talk to their husbands about. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM

639 posts, read 826,133 times
Well, they screwed up everything else, why not marriage

Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,364,502 times
What's confusing to me is I'd think your 50s and 60s would be the times when you'd need companionship the most, even if its only a warm body to snuggle up to. Plus I can't even imagine the dating pool at that age. I know 40-somethings that are struggling.

But I could be wrong. Maybe at that age, people don't care as much about dating or being with someone. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships