Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ain't that the truth, Sierra!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
If a black woman refuses to date a black man and only a white man is she racist ? (Or vica versa)

Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
'Horse apples' is another slang term/euphimism for horse s**t...I am done here, because like I said, I'm not trying to hijack the thread from those who want to discuss thoughtfully, and I'm not going to waste time arguing with someone whose idea of fun is bellowing about how much they don't care, and how many useless emoticons and bold type they can use...

Mr Spock, you have the bridge...Catfish out
You MUST be a Yankee! The term "Horse hockey" is a term for "bullsh*t." A "horse apple" is a spiked,round,green osage-orange from a desiduous tree or bush common here in the SOUTH. Alot of us hillbillies use the inside sap as a mosquito repellant! Yankees! What are ya gonna do? Cant live with em and cant shoot em!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,422 times
If I may interject...Ladies and Gents, Please realize that noone can make you feel any certain way. You cannot control what another says or does but, you can control how it makes you feel. Some of you need to work on that and your low self-esteem.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
I feel the last half of this thread is about chicks like this:

INOJ- Let Me Love You Down - YouTube

She sounds eager to do the nasty....

Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
I don't have this "won't date my own ethnicity" problem because....

http://www.aspetto.com/assets/images...ppiness_is.jpg

...nuff said.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
You'd probably be surprised at the obviousness of the title if it weren't presented in the relationship forum. Yet, why shouldn't discriminating someone based on their race be classified as racism for dating?

The usual response is that having a relationship with someone requires innate attraction—attraction that may not form with members of a particular race. Therefore, people either consider that not racism or find it “justified”. But, I believe that's a ridiculous argument because the very act of not being able to find someone attractive just because of their race is defined as racism.

Another common response is that "people have their own preferences"... Well duh! That's exactly what racism is about. The fact that Whites didn't want to go to the same restaurants as Blacks due to their "preferences" didn't make their actions any less racist. Of course, now we all accept that as immoral and racist.

If you're going into a job interview and at the end, the interviewer says “Sorry, I can't just hire you because I don't work well with Whites (or add your own race)”, would you not sue him for racism? In this case, not being able to function with Whites is no defense for racism.

However, I'm not suggesting that we should date unattractive (even if that's just due to their race) people because it's perfectly legal to be racist during dating, and also attraction is quite essential for a relationship. My point is that we should all be honest and just admit that we're racist rather than trying to rationalize our behaviour in order to ignore the blatant racism.

I'll admit I'm a bit racist (I won't date one or two races) when it comes to dating. But, the first step to solving a problem is to admit its existence.
If you think that having a preference of not dating peolpe of certain races is racism, than perhaps you need to look up a definition of racism. Everything is racism nowadays. A little kid who didnt do his homework was asked why the homework wasnt done, and the obvious answer was "because the homework is racist". True story. Grow up people.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM

507 posts, read 513,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
You'd probably be surprised at the obviousness of the title if it weren't presented in the relationship forum. Yet, why shouldn't discriminating someone based on their race be classified as racism for dating?

The usual response is that having a relationship with someone requires innate attraction—attraction that may not form with members of a particular race. Therefore, people either consider that not racism or find it “justified”. But, I believe that's a ridiculous argument because the very act of not being able to find someone attractive just because of their race is defined as racism.

Another common response is that "people have their own preferences"... Well duh! That's exactly what racism is about. The fact that Whites didn't want to go to the same restaurants as Blacks due to their "preferences" didn't make their actions any less racist. Of course, now we all accept that as immoral and racist.

If you're going into a job interview and at the end, the interviewer says “Sorry, I can't just hire you because I don't work well with Whites (or add your own race)”, would you not sue him for racism? In this case, not being able to function with Whites is no defense for racism.

However, I'm not suggesting that we should date unattractive (even if that's just due to their race) people because it's perfectly legal to be racist during dating, and also attraction is quite essential for a relationship. My point is that we should all be honest and just admit that we're racist rather than trying to rationalize our behaviour in order to ignore the blatant racism.

I'll admit I'm a bit racist (I won't date one or two races) when it comes to dating. But, the first step to solving a problem is to admit its existence.

I agree with what you are saying but I dont' see it as racism. To be honest it would be based on my own experiences. My friends run the gamut of cultures and ethincities, and so do their relationships. They date just about anyone, but when it comes to being comfortable and wanting to settle down it is just much easier for a lot of them to do it with someone who is of their own group. They are not using this discrimination process to evoke power, segregation, or to harm someone. If anything I support people who stick with their own kind, build their own communities, and hold on to their people.

Now I will admit I wouldn't date any of the following (Mexican, Jewish, White American, Black African) because as a Black American woman my personal experiences, beliefs, and culture would and usually do conflict with these groups I listed. I have no shame in admitting it because it doesn't make me or anyone else a bad person if you choose not to date a certain group/groups of people. I only see the problem when we as human beings use stereotypes or generalizations as to why we won't date certain groups or to make ourselves feel better about not choosing them

Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM

507 posts, read 513,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If a black woman refuses to date a black man and only a white man is she racist ? (Or vica versa)
Nope because as a Black woman you would be surprised at the racism we do receive if we even mention that we are interested in White men from Black men...Black men (well some not all) date outside their race with no problem and openly throw it in the faces of Black women how other races are better and do more for them and how we are not doing our job as Black women...but God forbid we even think to date a White man we are dating the enemy because a White man represent power and if we date one of them we are displaying in some way self hatred about ourselves...but that same Black man who would give me grief if he were to ever see me or some other Black woman on the street or in a restaurant or any setting with a White man...would have no problem dating the White man's daughter LOL

Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
You MUST be a Yankee! The term "Horse hockey" is a term for "bullsh*t." A "horse apple" is a spiked,round,green osage-orange from a desiduous tree or bush common here in the SOUTH. Alot of us hillbillies use the inside sap as a mosquito repellant! Yankees! What are ya gonna do? Cant live with em and cant shoot em!
I'm from the south and we always called those "hedge apples". Where I'm from, a horse apple really is just horse s**t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships