Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 AM

72 posts, read 87,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Then why are whites on this forum saying mulattoes are more attractive?
i have a friend who owns a construction company who is a very good looking (according to the ladies) black guy who is built, solid and financially secure. he's into martial arts and when we hang out he wows the ladies with his dance moves. he loves dark skin women with a passion.......... he's 5'4. r u interested?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
Honestly, I'd love to have more friends of all colors. I like to learn about people and get a real perspective. I'm kind of segregated in an all white community right now. My college friends have all moved away.

When I was in college, there was a fairly large black population at the school. Sometimes I'd tried to talk to them in class and they didn't seem interested in conversing with me.
This is what happened to me when I tried to converse with white classmates(I was one of the few black students), the girls were rude or fearful of me. I'm thinking they were not used to being around AAs. However, there was a light complected Black girl who I became acquaintanted with who said she didn't have any problems making White friends because of her light complection. She even noted that she experienced no racism because of it.

Quote:
MY POINT: I could be wrong, but in my life time I've never really had a good opportunity to befriend an AA person without it seeming contrived. But I've had plenty of opportunity to befriend black women who are not AA. Is this a unique thing? Is the historic tension between AA and Caucasians the root of all this awkwardness? It would be easier for me to find and marry an AA man than to make a AA female friend IMO. Isn't that odd? I can't wait for the day when we all become a shade of brown or something.
It's pretty segregated where I'm from, so for all ethnic groups to come together and hang out doesn't happen at all.

Yeah, I am AA and I also had a hard time befreinding white girls in my age group, its hard to get past their akwardness around me. the older ones seem easier to get along with, and are particular more comfortable and friendly towards me. Frankly, I got a lot of strange/fearful looks from the girls in my age group, I'm thinking its because they were not used to be around minorities. I sat next to a white girl who often stared and observed my hair, she most likely was not used to seeing Black hair in its natural state. The white guys were rather indifferent towards me most of the time.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
You'd probably be surprised at the obviousness of the title if it weren't presented in the relationship forum. Yet, why shouldn't discriminating someone based on their race be classified as racism for dating?

The usual response is that having a relationship with someone requires innate attraction—attraction that may not form with members of a particular race. Therefore, people either consider that not racism or find it “justified”. But, I believe that's a ridiculous argument because the very act of not being able to find someone attractive just because of their race is defined as racism.

Another common response is that "people have their own preferences"... Well duh! That's exactly what racism is about. The fact that Whites didn't want to go to the same restaurants as Blacks due to their "preferences" didn't make their actions any less racist. Of course, now we all accept that as immoral and racist.

If you're going into a job interview and at the end, the interviewer says “Sorry, I can't just hire you because I don't work well with Whites (or add your own race)”, would you not sue him for racism? In this case, not being able to function with Whites is no defense for racism.

However, I'm not suggesting that we should date unattractive (even if that's just due to their race) people because it's perfectly legal to be racist during dating, and also attraction is quite essential for a relationship. My point is that we should all be honest and just admit that we're racist rather than trying to rationalize our behaviour in order to ignore the blatant racism.

I'll admit I'm a bit racist (I won't date one or two races) when it comes to dating. But, the first step to solving a problem is to admit its existence.

Every race has their own unique set of physical features and while there are some that break the mold the vast majority fit into the same basic makeup.

There are a couple of races that I don't have any interest in dating and it has nothing to do with the color of their skin as much as as a lack of physical attraction.

Call me a racist if you want but there are races I won't date.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
It looks like racism but romantic preferences are just preferences.
Also many people unconsciously look for someone who resembles their own family members -- or even themselves. Men often are looking for someone similar to their Mom, and women often look for someone like Dad. Many people's first childhood crushes were on first cousins and so it's just natural that someone who reminds them of certain family members may attract them more.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
This is what happened to me when I tried to converse with white classmates(I was one of the few black students), the girls were rude or fearful of me. I'm thinking they were not used to being around AAs. However, there was a light complected Black girl who I became acquaintanted with who said she didn't have any problems making White friends because of her light complection. She even noted that she experienced no racism because of it.

It's pretty segregated where I'm from, so for all ethnic groups to come together and hang out doesn't happen at all.

Yeah, I am AA and I also had a hard time befreinding white girls in my age group, its hard to get past their akwardness around me. the older ones seem easier to get along with, and are particular more comfortable and friendly towards me. Frankly, I got a lot of strange/fearful looks from the girls in my age group, I'm thinking its because they were not used to be around minorities. I sat next to a white girl who often stared and observed my hair, she most likely was not used to seeing Black hair in its natural state. The white guys were rather indifferent towards me most of the time.
There might be some cultural aspects more than skin color itself. There are dark skinned physicians for example who live in the same neighborhoods that other physicians live in and their kids will interact.

Maybe what you're seeing is more about you growing up more segregated and it's your uneasiness around those of other races more than anything. Maybe you don't talk like a Valley Girl but someone very dark who does will fit in better with that type.

I think you have to accept that you are what you are, and what you are isn't just skin color but mannerisms, outlook, and so on. Look at Oprah - she's not very pale but she relates very well with everyone but it's because she's comfortable with herself. I saw one show where they had to stop her because she seemed to be mimicking a southern accent her guests had -- and she explained she tends to pick up the accent of who ever it is she's talking to, it has to do with empathy or something.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
I call BS on the OP. I always preferred pale northern Europeans, and now have got one. That doesn't make me a racist, or anyone else for not wanting to date other Puerto Ricans or latinos or Spaniards

Old 04-01-2012, 11:03 AM

460 posts, read 671,844 times
Quote:

As someone else just suggested, I think it could be cultural. In my white little world over here, I do have a biracial friend who doesn't look biracial at all. She is quite dark. She has no trouble fitting in with white people because she grew up around them. She also has plenty of black friends. She's just comfortable in both situations. I notice that she tends to talk differently when she's with the black friends. I don't think she's faking it or anything but I think she subconsciously takes on the characteristics of the group she's with. I have a cousin that's biracial and is very light (and happens to be gorgeous in general). She never hangs around with white people except family. She told her mother she doesn't like being around white people. I dunno. It obviously doesn't have much to do with skin color. Her brother is a tad darker but he chose to go to a predominantly white private school and he has no problem being with white people. So who knows? The whole thing is complicated.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
As someone else just suggested, I think it could be cultural. In my white little world over here, I do have a biracial friend who doesn't look biracial at all. She is quite dark. She has no trouble fitting in with white people because she grew up around them. She also has plenty of black friends. She's just comfortable in both situations. I notice that she tends to talk differently when she's with the black friends. I don't think she's faking it or anything but I think she subconsciously takes on the characteristics of the group she's with. I have a cousin that's biracial and is very light (and happens to be gorgeous in general). She never hangs around with white people except family. She told her mother she doesn't like being around white people. I dunno. It obviously doesn't have much to do with skin color. Her brother is a tad darker but he chose to go to a predominantly white private school and he has no problem being with white people. So who knows? The whole thing is complicated.
Yeah but biracial dark and African dark can be quite different. People will show a biracial who is dark, but they really aren't that dark in comparison to someone like me who is predominantly Black with little to no admixture, like me.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:38 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Yeah but biracial dark and African dark can be quite different. People will show a biracial who is dark, but they really aren't that dark in comparison to someone like me who is predominantly Black with little to no admixture, like me.
That means your family stuck to their own! Darn racists! Why didn't they branch out?!

Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That means your family stuck to their own! Darn racists! Why didn't they branch out?!
How could they with segregation and white flight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships