Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2012, 03:45 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That's because if you don't specify, people will just asusme you are "White" since "white" is the "standard."

I have yet to meet someone who just assumes someone is black, or asian, or latino just because.
I get what you're saying, but I can usually tell when someone is Black without them telling me, so I don't just assume they're White.

I do see that happening on the Internet, though, where people assume a poster is white until that poster specifically mentions otherwise.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Not sure I'd pick all of these couples as good examples, 50% of the women would be considered light skinned (which usually means, are you lighter than a paper bag).
Are all paper bags the same color? (I'm genuinely asking.)

Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
The one drop rule. No one could claim being mixed at all. As long as one of your grandparents (or great grandparents) are black, you are too. Doesn't matter what you look like, who your mom or dad is. Basically, you are just black. Only recently could people even choose to recognize being of two groups.
But many obviously ARE mixed! How did it happen then?

Old 04-01-2012, 03:48 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
I've been rejected often for my race (i'm indian). I DO NOT think it is racism, but it's clearly based on prejudiced attitudes. In regards to Indians, I think a lot of women (white, black, asian, etc) perceive that we are either anti-american terrorists (only the stupid ones believe this), we smell like curry all day long, or we are nerdy losers. I don't see indian stereotypes as too bad as they're based on the fact that people see us as successful doctors and engineers who just happen to eat smelly food and are nerdy.

It also doesn't matter how americanized one is. I was born in US, speak perfect english, and haven't eaten indian food in 10 months. However, I get some of the dumbest comments and questions from women when I'm out and about. Last week, some lady after finding out i was from india said, 'oh, so you must be muslim, right' (uh, no) and she proceed to tell me why she doesn't date muslims.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:49 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I get what you're saying, but I can usually tell when someone is Black without them telling me, so I don't just assume they're White.

I do see that happening on the Internet, though, where people assume a poster is white until that poster specifically mentions otherwise.
Its probably fairly easy for people to think someone is white. Blacks only make up about 12 percent of the population..... So I guess it would be basic math at that point.

I've had people on CD assume I was a black dude. Not really sure why, doesn't bother me though

I grew up with a lot of the brotha's... LOL, I was an honorary black dude.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:52 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I've been rejected often for my race (i'm indian). I DO NOT think it is racism, but it's clearly based on prejudiced attitudes. In regards to Indians, I think a lot of women (white, black, asian, etc) perceive that we are either anti-american terrorists (only the stupid ones believe this), we smell like curry all day long, or we are nerdy losers. I don't see indian stereotypes as too bad as they're based on the fact that people see us as successful doctors and engineers who just happen to eat smelly food and are nerdy.
I love Indians..... That Russell Peters is a funny ass dude. I like how he does impressions of Indian guys.

Yeah, there aren't too many negative stereotypes about Indians, unless of course you've had bad experiences during those long tech support phone calls......

Old 04-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:

People are incredibly uncomfortable around me. It was even worse when I was deaf and blind. .
when you were? you aren't deaf and blind anymore?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Yeah but I noticed the whites who are uncomfortable around black poeple stil gravitate towards being more friendly and accepting of mixed race and lightskin Black people. I read a study that says they find them less threatening. It sucks
Dh was stationed in Ethiopia during the Veitnam war and saw the same preference among the black people in Ethiopia. He tried to fix up one of the local workers with his housekeeper's daughter but was told "She's too dark for me".

I don't know if that bias still exists but back in the 60's even black people preferred lighter skinned black people.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:29 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Not sure I'd pick all of these couples as good examples, 50% of the women would be considered light skinned (which usually means, are you lighter than a paper bag).
Melodie Hobson and George Lucas
Naomi Campbell and Vladislav Doronin (the Russian billionaire)
Robert DeNiro and Grace Hightower
Maggie and Ronald Betts
Iman and David Bowie
Gelila and Wolfgang Puck
Shala Monroque and Larry Gagosian (the renowned art dealer)
Pamela Joyner and Fred Giuffrida
Princess Angela and Prince Maximillan of Liechtenstein
Baron and Baroness Christian and Cecile de Massy

These women whom I have listed are all brown skinned or darker. The one exception being Baroness Cecile de Massy.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:31 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Are all paper bags the same color? (I'm genuinely asking.)
Practically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships