Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
You'd probably be surprised at the obviousness of the title if it weren't presented in the relationship forum. Yet, why shouldn't discriminating someone based on their race be classified as racism for dating?

The usual response is that having a relationship with someone requires innate attraction—attraction that may not form with members of a particular race. Therefore, people either consider that not racism or find it “justified”. But, I believe that's a ridiculous argument because the very act of not being able to find someone attractive just because of their race is defined as racism.

Another common response is that "people have their own preferences"... Well duh! That's exactly what racism is about. The fact that Whites didn't want to go to the same restaurants as Blacks due to their "preferences" didn't make their actions any less racist. Of course, now we all accept that as immoral and racist.

If you're going into a job interview and at the end, the interviewer says “Sorry, I can't just hire you because I don't work well with Whites (or add your own race)”, would you not sue him for racism? In this case, not being able to function with Whites is no defense for racism.

However, I'm not suggesting that we should date unattractive (even if that's just due to their race) people because it's perfectly legal to be racist during dating, and also attraction is quite essential for a relationship. My point is that we should all be honest and just admit that we're racist rather than trying to rationalize our behaviour in order to ignore the blatant racism.

I'll admit I'm a bit racist (I won't date one or two races) when it comes to dating. But, the first step to solving a problem is to admit its existence.
So...if during a date over candlelight, I prefer to gaze into a pair of brown eyes instead of blue or green--that preference--or a similar physical preference--makes me a racist?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Speaking purely physically, there are ways to tell race without sight. I can often tell race through facial features, hair texture, body curvature, and as strange as this may sound to some, I think that some of the genetics involved in race also affect pheromones. I think some women of color actually have a distinct flavor to their natural scent that white women don't have, that I find attractive.

I'm not saying all women of color smell one way and all white women smell another way, but it's just like there are some commonalities among women of color visually, in spite of all the diversity you will also find, I think there might be some common features among them in terms of scent as well. I don't know if there is any science to back this up or if it's all in my head, but I do find that I am attracted to the scents associated with women of color more so than those associated with white women.
The last taste test I had of the woman of the 3 main racial groups ended up a tie.
What you eat and your body chemistry dictates what you smell and taste like more than skin color ever will. Your nose is apparently a Racist! The only obvious taste/smell difference Ive experienced in women was ones that were vegitarians, and one woman who ate Garlic Catfish all the time

Last edited by LS Jaun; 03-29-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,087 times
op im straight
so does the fact that im not sexually attracted to men make me sexist?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The only obvious taste/smell difference Ive experienced in women was ones that were vegitarians, and one woman who ate Garlic Catfish catfish all the time
I'm curious. How did their scent differ?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
op im straight
According to many on CityData it makes you a sexist homophobe!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm curious. How did their scent differ?
I was being mostly sarcastic, but I did have a girlfriend who ate a lot of fruits and vegtables and she tasted "Fruity". Other than that; Black, White and Asian women all smell/taste the same

Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You know, as un-PC as it is to say that you may be right. It's well known that Asian people, for instance, have less BO than white people. I also think it's possible their BO is slightly different. But I won't get into that. Would not surprise me the same subtle difference exists among blacks, and being blind, you'd better be able to tell that difference.

The hair thing...yes if a black women keeps her natural hair, you could easily tell by running a hand through her hair.

Perhaps it's also what you're used, going back to the scent thing.

The last part is very interesting.
I completely forgot to mention voices (I am so used to being around Deaf people that don’t use their voice…lol.)

Even if a Black woman gets her hair relaxed and straightened, I can usually still tell from the underlying texture.

Another thing I completely got to mention is voices. I can usually tell if a singer is Black in a song from the quality of her voice, or if a man I’m talking is Black from the quality of his voice.

Before anyone attacks me, I’m not talking about Ebonics or anything of that. It doesn’t matter what dialect someone is speaking, Most of the time, just from the quality of their voice itself, I can tell most of the time if someone is Black or Latino. Of course there are times I’m dead wrong so I don’t take myself too seriously. But race isn’t totally invisible to blind people.

Again this might sound wildly un-PC, but it’s the truth. A lot of times I can tell if someone is Black from the scent of their hair products. Hair conditioners that are designed for certain types of hair often come in the same 5 scents, whereas hair conditions for other types of hair often come in the same 5 scents that are different too.

It’s not a fool-proof method but more often than not, I guess race accurately. There are a ton of other social and cultural factors that I can pick up on—like how other people are treating someone that often tip me off to their perceived race.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I was being mostly sarcastic, but I did have a girlfriend who ate a lot of fruits and vegtables and she tasted "Fruity". Other than that; Black, White and Asian women all smell/taste the same
Oh, ok. I was just curious being a veg and all.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think that's bs. I don't think anyone who has a 'mixed race' child loves him or her any less than if he was a 'pure race.'

The reason why black man say that is cos they don't wanna pay child support .
Do you know any black men? Or is this just more BS you got from TV?

Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
op im straight
This is of course assuming that racial preferences and sexual orientation are exactly equivalent. I'm not so sure they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships