Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
What else is she supposed to say? That she does volunteer brain surgery on weekends??
Being a interesting person. Share lifes experiences.

Having food,shelter and water doesn't make one a good catch. Being interesting does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
She sounds like a good catch to me as long as she's good looking.. you sound like you're intimidated and are coming up with this thread to somehow make yourself feel better.

Go for it - if you are a good guy it does not matter who has the money.....You will find that smarter older woman know the value of a good man..even if he is poor...YOU are of value.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
That's just the way it is these days, men and women think they are great catches just because they do what they are supposed to be doing. How low have our standards become, that we want to put someone on a pedastool, that has a job, place to live, a car and has good hygiene.

I wouldnt say put on a pedestal (I think thats what you meant) but how is wanting someone with a job, home, transportation and good personal hygiene lowering ones standards.

I see couples (married and unmarried) where one will not or can not hold a job, keep an apartment or a car and the other ends up having to take care of these things. Its like having an irresponsible teenager instead of a mate.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,839,150 times
I once dated a girl in college who was very beautiful, she was very smart, she was valedictorian upon graduation and she was from a wealthy suburb, and she was GREAT in bed.

Not too many people got along with her though, it was because she was stubborn and very verbally abusive. She used to tell me that I was dumb for not going to class and that I would never make it in the real world because I partied too much. Once I graduated I got a better, higher paying job than she did and when I talked to her about careers she said, "Oh, I knew you would be successful after graduation."

My best friends girlfriend (now wife) would tell me to break up with her because she hated her. She said that my ex was trying to de-masculinize me constantly. Anyway, she THOUGHT she was a great catch (and still does). It feels so much nicer now that I am with a girl who actually enjoys me and my man things like video games. haha

Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Not sure but....

It was a month or so after seriously dating my now-husband that I met his parents. We went to dinner at their home on Sunday nights for a few weeks.

After that, I felt they knew me.

His dad said "I approve - she owns a home, has her own business, etc..." - I was kind of shock he came from that perspective!!

(Now married over 25 years!)

Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Being a interesting person. Share lifes experiences.

Having food,shelter and water doesn't make one a good catch. Being interesting does.
Let me guess. Youre living in mama and daddys basement?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I went out with a lady that I met on OKC on Friday night. We had a great conversation.

What got me was, she thinks she's a good catch because she: owns a home, has a job and keeps her hair and nails done.

I find a lot of women think "things" are what entitles them to being a "good catch"

Most guys don't care about that.

We pretty much focus on 2 things: Are you "attractive" to us and are you a "cool person".

Everything else is somewhat minor. As it relates to jobs/title, as long as you can take care of yourself without doing anything illegal, that's all that matters.

Your thoughts?
yeah, i am shooting messages back and forth with someone, right now, who thinks REALLY highly of herself because of her job.

sucks, when you find a moderately pretty girl who is moderately successful and smart, but she is a legend in her own mind. I think this is an internet-dating phenomenon, because I don't see much of this mentality elsewhere.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
It was a month or so after seriously dating my now-husband that I met his parents. We went to dinner at their home on Sunday nights for a few weeks.

After that, I felt they knew me.

His dad said "I approve - she owns a home, has her own business, etc..." - I was kind of shock he came from that perspective!!

(Now married over 25 years!)
Same should apply to a man...where is it carved in stone..that the man must be the primary provider?...There might be a glitch in the situation we are talking about..that the woman in question might be a complete and utter materialist...and the poor guy would be disrespected if he joined with her...nothing wrong with money and security...as long as the person who can provide it is not crazy...or stupid...a woman of means might just be dumb also...and who needs comfort when you have to suffer to have it?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I went out with a lady that I met on OKC on Friday night. We had a great conversation.

What got me was, she thinks she's a good catch because she: owns a home, has a job and keeps her hair and nails done.

I find a lot of women think "things" are what entitles them to being a "good catch"

Most guys don't care about that.

We pretty much focus on 2 things: Are you "attractive" to us and are you a "cool person".

Everything else is somewhat minor. As it relates to jobs/title, as long as you can take care of yourself without doing anything illegal, that's all that matters.

Your thoughts?
That itself is a rash generalization and I'm tired of seeing it bandied around here. But hey, to each their own.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Let me guess. Youre living in mama and daddys basement?
Sorry CAPT, nice try, both of my parents are deceased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships