Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Not only are you an artist, you are also obviously perceptive.

The word for that "art" is called physiognomy. It is so valid that they coined a term for it.
It causes problems with friends and family who are less perceptive...If they have a person over that I find bad news at a glance...It takes them a year or so to figure it out...In the meantime...I get flack for being negative...Try to tell someone that the truth is not negative...is tedious.

People are almost like snow flakes..they differ so much - it makes them endlessly interesting...but there are certain types or molds...I will see the face on a black person and realize that I know a white person with the same or similar face.

Watching woman is fun..they are all full of beauty...I like to look at older woman and I imagine what they looked like when they were young...then I compare that image to the one I see now....if there are differences --these are clues and suggestions to what kind of life they have lived..their story unfolds...I can tell if a person has lost a loved one through death...(certain maturity and wisdom) appears in the eyes,,,,who is divorced...who is bitter...who is a lover and who has chosen hate as a way to live..

The nicest experience I had was when this old woman dressed in fine red clothing came out of a door way...I found out later she was an artist in her 80s...we looked at each other and instantly embraced...It was quick..she was like I was...empathic and a good reader of people.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
The enlightened and balanced women are starting to show up.

It was funny when I told relatives in Italy that "douche bag" is a popular insult in America, and that it could be aimed at a man. Since it contains the French word douche, I thought they knew what it was. When we looked it up on the on-line dictionary, the translation was "irrigatore vaginale." They thought it was funny, but found it kind of weird.
I just don't see the point in making every turn of phrase into some kind of gender issue. If people want to talk about sexist language, there are far more relevant terms to be discussed, namely those that denigrate women's sexuality and rhyme with "hoar" and "zlut." A word for female dog that goes back to Shakespeare to describe an irritable, nasty, shrewish woman would not be one of them.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:50 AM

11 posts, read 19,315 times
sure, that's absolutely natural that people pay attention to look of others as it gives more info than it can be expected.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I just don't see the point in making every turn of phrase into some kind of gender issue. If people want to talk about sexist language, there are far more relevant terms to be discussed, namely those that denigrate women's sexuality and rhyme with "hoar" and "zlut." A word for female dog that goes back to Shakespeare to describe an irritable, nasty, shrewish woman would not be one of them.
It's a loaded gender specific insult. Imagine calling a man a little a b*tch. That's pretty darn insulting because it's a negative term meant for women, so it's a double whammy. At best, it's fitting for gay men and women. You, like most, are conditioned to blindly accept.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM

639 posts, read 828,375 times
Lightbulb Is there a "Bitchy" Look?

ya, the look a girl gets if she doesn't want to hook up with me

Old 04-04-2012, 10:50 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
When you are in an unfamiliar place, and you want to ask for directions, and there are 10 people in a city square - do you pick the "peaches and cream" lady or the bitchy lady, or do you pick the "gentleman" or the pr!ck? Subconsciously, you make the same assessments.
Okay

This explains why random men, women, senior citizens and children are always stopping me for directions or assistance.

I must have a sweet kind of face, or at least approachable.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It's a loaded gender specific insult. Imagine calling a man a little a b*tch. That's pretty darn insulting because it's a negative term meant for women, so it's a double whammy. At best, it's fitting for gay men and women. You, like most, are conditioned to blindly accept.
Has nothing to do with conditioning and everything to do with the fact that I choose not to be hypersensitive and offended at every little word people use. Indeed, the tendency to take personal affront at every utterance is a rather b*tchy trait. Have a nice day!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Has nothing to do with conditioning and everything to do with the fact that I choose not to be hypersensitive and offended at every little word people use. Indeed, the tendency to take personal affront at every utterance is a rather b*tchy trait. Have a nice day!
there's two specific people on this forum that turn a LOT of threads into a feminist vs chauvinist "battle of the sexes" that really has little to do with the OP in most cases

Old 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Default Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
there's two specific people on this forum that turn a LOT of threads into a feminist vs chauvinist "battle of the sexes" that really has little to do with the OP in most cases
Not sure if you're aware of this, as you're new here, but I have a reputation as one of C-D's staunchest feminists.

But there's such a thing as perspective. Not every word is a tool of the patriarchy, and not every thread is some great testimony to the vast and wide oppression of women.

Oh, and I wear make-up and a bra, too.

The OP was essentially asking if you can tell someone's disposition based on her looks. Whether the word was "b*tch" or another gender specific term like "hag" or "harpy" or even the dreaded c-word doesn't matter. The fact is that the OP appears to be inquiring specifically about angry, bitter, persnickety, prideful, nasty women, and whether one can determine those traits about a woman by looking at her face.

Perhaps some would be happy if the OP now went back and started a thread titled "Is there a prick look?" Then we'd know they were talking about men, and to phrase our responses accordingly.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you're aware of this, as you're new here, but I have a reputation as one of C-D's staunchest feminists.

But there's such a thing as perspective. Not every word is a tool of the patriarchy, and not every thread is some great testimony to the vast and wide oppression of women.
ya, its like in the politics forum, I really love Ron Paul and his ideas, but people have rightly criticized "Paul-bots" that ALWAYS try to bring him up in EVERY single thread, and I sometimes check myself and try to just discuss the issue at hand in the specific thread lol. Its almost as if these two posters I alluded to are playing the ROLES of "feminist" and "chauvinist" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships