Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Is an on line dating site the right place to look for a dinner date for one evening? Aren't most people on dating websites looking for more than just dinner with a stranger who is biding his time and doesn't want to eat alone?.
Where else is someone going to find someone ? If I'm traveling to LA for a week and don't want to be bored and alone why not email several attractive women and take a chance one might want to meet for a drink. If you're upfront and tell the truth you've got nothing to lose and you're not being dishonest.

And who knows... you might meet the perfect person who's willing to possibly relocate for the right person.

As long as all is up front, no harm done and all they can say is no. But there will be at least a few who say "Sure why not ?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Where else is someone going to find someone ? If I'm traveling to LA for a week and don't want to be bored and alone why not email several attractive women and take a chance one might want to meet for a drink. If you're upfront and tell the truth you've got nothing to lose and you're not being dishonest.

And who knows... you might meet the perfect person who's willing to possibly relocate for the right person.

As long as all is up front, no harm done and all they can say is no. But there will be at least a few who say "Sure why not ?"

i dont know... say ur own city u live in? Usually the clients or whoever ur meeting on business take u out to dinner. Im not saying dont go for it. but im saying dont pretend that ur only taking a girl out to dinner to be their friend and not hope nothing more happens

Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:

Uh, no. There will not be at least a few who agree to meet him for one night. At the least, there will be zero.

As to the likelihood of his strategy working out, I'd say he's better off stuffing messages in a bottle and throwing them into the ocean.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:

But that hinges on the fact that you know you're telling the truth, however, there's no reason for them to know or believe it.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
But that hinges on the fact that you know you're telling the truth, however, there's no reason for them to know or believe it.
A cheater can go online, create a profile and cheat locally as well as in a different city. You take a chance everytime you meet someone that they've not told the truth no matter the distance.

A dishonest cheater does not need to leave town to do it.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
A cheater can go online, create a profile and cheat locally as well as in a different city. You take a chance everytime you meet someone that they've not told the truth no matter the distance.

A dishonest cheater does not need to leave town to do it.
I can tell you matter of fact that distance matters and it matters a lot. Most, probably over 95%, will have a closed mind to dating someone who is not local. I contacted several women who were out of my area but we had many things in common. Only twice did I even receive a reply and those replies were that they were not interested due to distance.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
hahah jeeze, well I guess I wasted my time on this thing! I guess I'll have to see if I can meet someone when I'm down there with the time I have. Sure beats hanging out alone.

Regardless, I wasn't knocking it in any way... I was just saying that it WAS lot of work

Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
I wouldn't reply to someone that isn't local. Just meet people when you go out.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:04 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I tried out an online dating website to see if I could find someone in the city i'll be traveling to next week, and jeeze. What a pain in the butt. Writing all those messages and hoping for someone to just respond, I have to admit I think this online thing is even harder than just going up to women in your daily life!

Nothing against the people that do it, I don't see any problem but it seems like more work than just talking to a bunch of random girls in person
Sure, it is. The beastly looking women get white-knighted and think they are hot shiite, so no doubt any decent looking woman is just mass deleting your message and 100s of others a click at a time.

You can get your woman with two kids who is looking for that "nice guy" ion their 30s in real life or sitting at your desk.

Pick your poison.

The things time off does to me. I was browsing POF and saw this ex-classmate of mine. Actually, I've seen two as of late and they are both divorced and trying to find Mr Nice Guy. I guess the guy who is either of their babydaddies wasn't all that nice after all. One of them was married to her HS sweetheart, too. Yeesh.

Stardards.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Most, probably over 95%, will have a closed mind to dating someone who is not local.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
hahah jeeze, well I guess I wasted my time on this thing! I guess I'll have to see if I can meet someone when I'm down there with the time I have. Sure beats hanging out alone.

Regardless, I wasn't knocking it in any way... I was just saying that it WAS lot of work
And if 95% won't respond that leaves 5% who might. I agree not a lot of people will not respond but there are a people who sit home with little social life who would love an invitation to dinner.

As a grown up male I like to be around a woman for the evening, I like a conversation and just the enjoyment of having their company for the evening with no expectations. There are women out there who would feel the same.

Email 10-20 ladies where you are headed and be honest. You might get 2-3 that says "Sure Why not". You've got nothing to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships