Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:23 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
No, and I shake hands the same regardless of gender.
I bet there are a lot of women out there who's first impression of you was "What's his problem, he just tried to break my fingers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I always go lighter on a handshake with women than I would with men, but I still would not come with a really limp handshake.

You can't trust a man with a weak handshake
^^^This! I cannot tell you how many times I've shaken hands with a man and they go all limp and delicate with it. Total turn off!

Honestly, it kind of grosses me out..I DEFINITELY would not want that hand touching me again.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I know some people read into handshakes in business and socially, but I think it's usually the men who are judged for their grasps.

Men:
-When you shake a woman's hand, do you adjust your grip to be more gentle/softer because she is a woman or do you always shake hands the same regardless of gender?

-Do you pay attention to how a woman shakes your hand?

Ladies:
-Do you pay attention to handshakes?
Firm, but gentler, no need to clamp on a woman's hand like a vise-grip. No need for a girly-man handshake unless you like to telegraph weakness.

Of course, we men queue in on non-verbal movements.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
I hate a weak handshake from anyone male or female.

I don't want to have my hand crushed, but a nice firm handshake is important for either gender IMHO.

A man with a weak handshake would be a huge turn off for me. I don't know why, but a weak handshake implies a weak person to me. That's probably unfair, but it's just how it comes across to me!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,837 times
Quote:
I know some people read into handshakes in business and socially, but I think it's usually the men who are judged for their grasps.

Men:
-When you shake a woman's hand, do you adjust your grip to be more gentle/softer because she is a woman or do you always shake hands the same regardless of gender?

Ladies:
I have to adjust mine for their hands. My hands and grip are very very strong. I have big hands too. I've heard other mens knuckles crack before when I shook their hands. I have to go easy on the ladies. On a guy, yeah, I do pay attention. I think he is a wimp if I get a lazy shake or my Sister could have done better. On a woman, not so much.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:

Men:

Ladies:
Yes.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
I do. I'm very detail-oriented, unfortunately.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:

Men:

Ladies:

When I shake a woman's hand, I actually hold her fingers very softly and look her in the eye. And if I feel more charming, I use my other hand to softly cover her hand that I'm already holding onto. It happens automatically because they see my hand coming at them palm up instead of strait out like a normal handshake.

So, as you can see, I simply don't shake a woman's hand in a way that I shake a mans hand.

On a side note, I rather not shake any persons hand when I greet them because I find it disgusting. You all have no idea how many times I witnessed a man use the restroom, then walk out without washing his hands, or people picking their noses or wiping spit/food off their mouth.

You figure, in other more older cultures, this might explain why a greeting is done with a simple bow gesture because it's sanitary.

Last edited by calicali01; 04-02-2012 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,585,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I hate a weak handshake from anyone male or female.

I don't want to have my hand crushed, but a nice firm handshake is important for either gender IMHO.

A man with a weak handshake would be a huge turn off for me. I don't know why, but a weak handshake implies a weak person to me. That's probably unfair, but it's just how it comes across to me!
It's really silly to think that a person is weak just because they don't shake your hand really hard, but I do see your point.

For example, I will never forget this one time I met a guy who was currently playing in the NFL and I shook his hand at the arrival at the gym and I felt like I was holding a solid brick while at the same time felling that my hand being crushed.

Although I was much weaker and smaller back then, that guy was absolutely super strong and I will never forget that handshake.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
When I shake a woman's hand, I actually hold her fingers very softly and look her in the eye. And if I feel more charming, I use my other hand to softly cover her hand that I'm already holding onto. It happens automatically because they see my hand coming at them palm up instead of strait out like a normal handshake.

So, as you can see, I simply don't shake a woman's hand in a way that I shake a mans hand.
I think that's a great way of doing it! Otherwise it's too business-like in potentially romantic situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships