Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times

Advertisements

One thing I have observed is that when going without a relationship for a prolonged period of time, the reaction emotionally from some people tends to be anger or resentment, for wanting to be in a relationship, but having to go without. A frustration, resentment, or bitterness type of a feelings-based reaction that builds up, in other words. For others, it is sort of the opposite kind of emotional reaction: despair, depression, inconsolable sadness and anguish, feelings of being unlovable and like a failure, and similar.

My question is, what is it exactly do you think that triggers the emotional reaction, either way? Is it just part our individual emotional wiring, as personality characteristics, and something that boils down to individual temperaments? FWIW, I have personally noticed in my own personal exp. that the anger/resentment emotional type usually outnumbers the despair/depressed type. (Could it be perhaps that people with higher self-esteem tend to become frustrated and angry, whereas people with lower self-esteem tend to be become depressed and despairing? )

Thoughts?

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 04-02-2012 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Corrected typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Anger and despair are not opposite emotions by a long shot. One leads to the other.

The problem is with the individual. It is possible to be perfectly happy and single, and to be completely miserable in a relationship.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:23 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Some people express their negative emotions by taking it out on themselves and other express it by taking it out on others.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Anger and despair are not opposite emotions by a long shot. One leads to the other.

The problem is with the individual. It is possible to be perfectly happy and single, and to be completely miserable in a relationship.
Very true; certainly a good point...

Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Some people express their negative emotions by taking it out on themselves and other express it by taking it out on others.
Very well-spoken, my friend srjth! Lol, you said it better and more succinctly, than I could have ever have. Tried to rep your post, but alas, looks like I gotta spread the rep around first

Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
people would be a lot more 'happy' if others didn't make them feel like crap b/c they are not 'with someone' or running around like a basket case over another person. since this is considered the norm, anyone not doing those things gets treated accordingly or like a freak.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
people would be a lot more 'happy' if others didn't make them feel like crap b/c they are not 'with someone' or running around like a basket case over another person. since this is considered the norm, anyone not doing those things gets treated accordingly or like a freak.
I wholeheartedly agree with your statements above, my friend Doll Eyes ((hugs))

Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
C-D wouldn't let me "rep" you again, but consider yourself "repped!"

I think that you're spot on. As I posted in the "childfree" threat, societal pressure is a b*tch to deal with. Sometimes I think back to my college days and early 20s and wonder if I dated a certain guy because I really liked him or because it was just "easier" to conform to peer pressure and have that guaranteed date on New Year's Eve.

When you're not a part of a relationship, it can be hard to feel 100 percent OK with being alone, even if you're genuinely happy that way. I've reached the stage of life where I enjoy being with my S.O., but if something happened and we broke up, I'd have an easier time dealing with my newfound aloneness.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with your statements above, my friend Doll Eyes ((hugs))

i still don't trust you.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
C-D wouldn't let me "rep" you again, but consider yourself "repped!"

I think that you're spot on. As I posted in the "childfree" threat, societal pressure is a b*tch to deal with. Sometimes I think back to my college days and early 20s and wonder if I dated a certain guy because I really liked him or because it was just "easier" to conform to peer pressure and have that guaranteed date on New Year's Eve.

When you're not a part of a relationship, it can be hard to feel 100 percent OK with being alone, even if you're genuinely happy that way. I've reached the stage of life where I enjoy being with my S.O., but if something happened and we broke up, I'd have an easier time dealing with my newfound aloneness.

Well if you have S.O. then you are in the 'norm' and have nothing to worry about, the more it seems you veer from that path the worse peoples treat you in this world, as you said, even if you are 100 percent happy that way. They makes you feel like you are a worthless freak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships