Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times

Advertisements

This is one of the main reasons I don't plan on getting a Facebook account
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:32 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It sounds like they're ads, then. That means that whoever placed them paid for the space and the ad was approved by the publishers. Or, some magazines donate ad space to non-profits in the name of public service. Either way, it's a magazine's discretion as to what constitutes acceptable advertising. If something meets their standards, they're going to accept the money and run it. You can write and complain that you're tired of seeing the ads, but your request will probably be fruitless given both the financial challenges print magazines have faced over the last 10 years and the mean-spiritedness that the editors would see in such a request.
It's an ad for OperationSmile, I see them all the time, but I"m not mailing in a $250 donation either. There are too many charities domestically based that need help right now.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
well ya that's also messed up. but I'm mostly talking about the pics that are being spread around to raise "awareness" of tragedies like premature babies and how ugly war is (like the Marine example). I find them more offensive than helpful.
The other thing that really upsets me are the pictures posted of abused animals. There was this one picture of a dog that some teens put firecrakers in it's mouth, taped it shut and the blew the poor dogs muzzle up. It was a disgusting picture. I had to hide it from my wall because every time I saw it it really upset me.

So please people, stop posting graphic pics of any kind.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
First, unless the babies are sick, with tubes running in them in the NICU, it's a subjective call on your part. They may just be premature or small. Sorry if that offends your tender sensibilities, but they're beautiful to their parents. Indeed, even if they are at death's door, they are beautiful to their parents, and it is utterly cruel of you to even suggest that they are offensive.

Second, who is to say what is and is not a "flattering" photo of a child with autism, or any other disability? Do you find photos of children with Down's Syndrome offensive? Pictures of children in wheelchairs? Pictures of Stephen Hawking? Who are you to be judge and jury and take "offense" at how they look?

Third, I believe I know the photo of the Marine you are talking about. It's a famous photo, one of a series done by photojournalist Nina Berman, and it won a World Press Photo Award in 2006.

The bottom line here, Mir, is that you are being not only priggish, but cruel. If you don't like looking at someone's photos, unsubscribe from their feed. Writing to Facebook about them is beyond ridiculous, oh she of the revoltingly filthy feet in her pictures.

I "think" what people are objecting to here is the exploitation of these children or other subjects. Nobody is saying that a proud parent should not post photos of their kid, but when people are exploiting the "Wow factor" of a child (or adult) with problems just to make a point, it is wrong. If you read the original post, I'm pretty sure that is the point being made.

Just yesterday, I saw one of my FB friends who is always posting a bunch of right-wing vitriol (which is no worse than the crap spewed by the far left, BTW) post a picture about a kid in a wheelchair who was excluded from sitting with the rest of the choir kids because the school did not have ADA compliance, so the poor kid was left to sit by himself, being exposed. And this right-wing tea-partier was ranting about how they were going to sue the school.

OK, first of all, they exploited the kid more than the thoughtless acts of the school. Secondly, this is the party that has huge disdain for all lawyers (supposedly they are all libs?), yet they are the first to scream lawsuit when they don't get their way. But mostly, they are the party that wants to revoke any chance of healthcare that takes care of kids with special needs. And they want to pass laws that make it manditory to allow school prayer even if it ostracizes kids of a less-common faith, because "screw them, they are free to not participate if they don't want to". My point is that they are all against any special treatment for anyone that is going to cost the taxpayer money, unless it specifically benefits them. They are against "special interest"? Yeah right.

But my biggest point is that I agree with the OP. To USE kids on FB, or any other media to push your agenda is beyond reprehensible.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:42 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Quote:
ahhh I heard about that! how disgusting!

I hesitate to ask...

Old 04-03-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
First, unless the babies are sick, with tubes running in them in the NICU, it's a subjective call on your part. They may just be premature or small. Sorry if that offends your tender sensibilities, but they're beautiful to their parents. Indeed, even if they are at death's door, they are beautiful to their parents, and it is utterly cruel of you to even suggest that they are offensive.

Second, who is to say what is and is not a "flattering" photo of a child with autism, or any other disability? Do you find photos of children with Down's Syndrome offensive? Pictures of children in wheelchairs? Pictures of Stephen Hawking? Who are you to be judge and jury and take "offense" at how they look?

Third, I believe I know the photo of the Marine you are talking about. It's a famous photo, one of a series done by photojournalist Nina Berman, and it won a World Press Photo Award in 2006.

The bottom line here, Mir, is that you are being not only priggish, but cruel. If you don't like looking at someone's photos, unsubscribe from their feed. Writing to Facebook about them is beyond ridiculous, oh she of the revoltingly filthy feet in her pictures.
Seriously, relax.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,328 times
Because activism is the cool, hip thing to do. Let's share these pictures as a way to raise awareness! Or, let us spread some "inspirational" picture with a cliched quote as a way to make ourselves look caring and well-educated about complex social issues !

It was like when a crapton of my friends shared that Kony video by Invisible Children, but that's a whole other debate for another topic.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:48 AM

11 posts, read 18,764 times
Quote:
I keep seeing people sharing pictures of people in very sad situations. I understand making awareness of bad things that happen in the world but straight up posting graphic pictures of the result?? my stomach is hurting from it all.

I just saw 2 pictures posted of newborn babies that look so sick that they're about to die. It made me wanna puke. its sad but why do we need to see such awful things like that on a social networking site, meant for keeping in touch with those far away? Not only that, I find it offensive. I'm a member of an autism "cause" (best friends brother is Autistic) but they don't post pictures of them in very unflattering situations. Its just raising awareness...which I think is fine.

Another picture I've been seeing is a Marine who's face is completely blown off and he's standing next to what appears to be his bride and she just looks shocked and angry that her husband came home looking like a mutant. That's something we do not need to be seeing. Yes that happens and we all know it but its just awful to have a visual of it. I hope I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm about to write facebook and ask to take these types of photos down.
'Truth' in advertising is to blame. Most 'raise awareness pictures' are captioned, and take things to the extreme. The same can be said about cigarette packages. Not EVERYBODY who smokes dies of cancer... but they can make you believe that YOU will. (If you read into that sort of thing)

The idea behind advertising is to give it shock value. Something that strikes you. You've made it apparent that thier strategies worked. Even though you've taken offence to thier images, you've noticed them. They have successfully raised awareness about thier cause, however, not ALL cases are exactly as depicted in thier advertisments.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
I've seen a ton of these pictures. They don't bother me in the sense of it being something grotesque or obscene. After watching too many horror and scary films, I don't get disgusted easily so that is not the issue. What bothers me is the feeling of sadness and despair and depression I feel after seeing something like that. On more than one occasion, I would be having a good day, have dinner and go check my FB page to see what's going on with some friends and family, then see one of these pictures and comments and it would throw the rest of my night off. It's not a great feeling to see something so sad and then act like nothing really happened and it doesn't matter what culture or sex you are, it's just difficult to see the damage and sadness another human is facing and then just move on our lives as if nothing just happened. FB isn't the place for it.
very true! Just like the commercial with all the abused animals. It breaks my heart all over again when I accidentally look at the screen.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
Because activism is the cool, hip thing to do.
"Activism" of any sort makes me sick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships