Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:37 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,980,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiickled View Post
I never understood why men of other races especially white men and unfortunately black men have issues with our skin and hair texture. We come in many different shades, eye colors, cultures, and hair textures. I don't understand why we are seen like we all act the same? I think it comes from too much TV and self-hatred. About our hair, we have the most unique hair it just doesn't sit there it has personality. I take good care of my hair I have waist length relaxed hair. I hate when black men say black woman cannot grow long hair and that our natural hair is ugly and dry. I just don't get it, it's like they come up with every reason they can think of to put us down...
Be honest, has any black man actually ever said that to you? Because I have only heard other black women claim that there are black men out there saying things like this. For the life of me I have never heard a black man talk down about the texture of a black woman's hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I keep reading this but people offer NO solutions for black women. Are we supposed to just accept this harsh reality then rot and die off the face of earth while everyone else happily dates and procreates with each other? We can't possibly be that unattractive (I happen to think I'm average) that we deserve this fate
LOL. I'll give you the same advice I've given to other women who are never satisfied with their dating prospects--start approaching men. If you aren't satisfied with the men that are coming after you--then start going after them. Trying to guilt trip everyone about it isn't going to change anything.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM

17,609 posts, read 22,528,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'd have to see that somewhere to believe it and seriously doubt "most white men".

I'd jump on that in a heart beat. Rich, beautiful and famous... it might not last but would be a fun ride while it lasted.

I woodn't kick her outta bed fer eating crackers...hahahaha..............

Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Furthermore, preference for white men/women by minorities is rooted on a Eurocentric socialization pattern where dating white is perceived as dating up and the sense that it provides a social security blanket against the feeling that marrying into one's minority group stunts one's potential for upward mobility. I'm not going to categorically say that these quantifiers are absolute, but in my own experience as a Hispanic man with white complexion, I have been able to experience dynamics that support the benefits of having access to Eurocentric living and dating. I would be a hypocrite in suggesting being of white complexion didn't make my muddling through these dynamics in modern america easier and more attainable. Newsflash, white gets you places in the Western world. *gasp*
Interesting post overall, and I can't say I agree or disagree with everything. But in regards to what you're written above, from what I've noticed with minority women (Asian, Hispanic, black and everything inbetween) generally they appear to be much more confident in a white males ability elevate their social and financial status, even more so than many white women are themselves. Demonstrated, or undemonstrated, the 'confidence' in them is automatically there with a lot of those women. Whereas with many if not most white women--if you ask them why they are with a white male, the general answer has moreso to do with cultural or aesthetic compatibility as opposed their lack of confidence of minority males or any over zelous confidence in the white males ability to elevate them socially and financially.

As a matter of fact, most of the white women I know who were born and raised around other whites would laugh hysterically at the idea of white men generally treating women better, or that white males are generally a great financial asset to have. Although many of them would happily admit that the men that they are with are great men or great catches; most of these same women would also tell you that they have been put through the ringer with all types of white men.

Last edited by itshim; 04-11-2012 at 08:02 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,875,325 times
OP sounds racist to me. I'm a hispanic woman and I don't understand why someone would bring up negative stereotypes of their own "group" to defend why they prefer "white" men.

You must have some negative hispanics around you.

Luckily, my family is made up of self-made entrepreneurs and are well-educated so I don't have to deal with the kind of self-hate you do.

Pretty much all of the other Hispanics I'm around in my daily life are in Law school or are college educated.

It sounds like you possibly come from a lower socioeconomic class which is why you feel that stereotype of hispanics being uneducated and rude is justified. I believe most people from lower classes no matter what "race" are usually stereotyped as ignorant (ghetto folks, white trash, etc.)

Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,400,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

Your thoughts?
If White men are your preference, then so be it. I think it's a non-issue.

[nothing to discuss, really]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships